Hipsters in Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pearalegal

Silver

Re: Hipsters in Law School

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:36 pm

There are no real hipsters.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:37 pm

drsomebody wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
elliefont wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Definition of Hipter: A hypocritical materialistic person who purchases the latest "trendy" electronic and clothing items while at the same time criticizing society for being selfish and sel-indulgent.
hating on hipsters for being judgmental? yer doing it wrong.
I don't care that they're judgmental, they can have whatever opinions they want to have about the failings of society. But when they criticize society the way the hippies did back in the day for materialism and such but they purchase $6 Starbucks drinks on a daily basis, are always downloading "killer apps" on their iphones, and spend $120 on outfits that are supposed to reveal their rebelliousness, then they are being hypocritical. It's like Al Gore telling off the world for not being energy efficient enough when his house uses 17x as much energy than the national average. Double standards piss me off.
A real hipster wouldn't be caught dead in a Starbucks.
Thank you, I stand corrected . . . it was a bartender. How did I manage to inject a "Hangover" reference into the hipster thread.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Pearalegal wrote:You can't even identify your own clothes?
I was gone that night on jameson and blow.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:39 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Oh, Tuesday nights.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:40 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Are those gym shorts?
I don't think so. They look like cut offs to me. And I think I see a belt. Although hardcore kids used to wear gym shorts. ...They called the mosh shorts, get it? Maybe they still do for all I know.
Midwestern HxC kids still sport the gym shorts. And facial bandannas. Even in 2010.

Earth Crisis FTL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Oh, Tuesday nights.
I hope we end up at the same school. :D

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:44 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
I don't think so. They look like cut offs to me. And I think I see a belt. Although hardcore kids used to wear gym shorts. ...They called the mosh shorts, get it? Maybe they still do for all I know.
Midwestern HxC kids still sport the gym shorts. And facial bandannas. Even in 2010.

Earth Crisis FTL
My first reaction was, "Are you serious!?" Then I thought about it for a minute and am absolutely positive I know people who still do this. ...Maybe not the bandanna thing, but wear gym shorts and listen to Earth Crisis.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:47 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

Earth Crisis FTL
My first reaction was, "Are you serious!?" Then I thought about it for a minute and am absolutely positive I know people who still do this. ...Maybe not the bandanna thing, but wear gym shorts and listen to Earth Crisis.
I just can't understand anyone who puts that much effort into projecting who they want others to perceive them to be through their image: the goths, the emos, the bros, the East Coast richies, all of the fads, I just don't get it. What happened to having someone actually talk to you in order to get to know who you are?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:50 pm

scionb4 wrote:I just can't understand anyone who puts that much effort into projecting who they want others to perceive them to be through their image: the goths, the emos, the bros, the East Coast richies, all of the fads, I just don't get it. What happened to having someone actually talk to you in order to get to know who you are?
Talking [about things other than music] is not conducive to hooking up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mps200

New

Post by mps200 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:52 pm

drsomebody

New

Post by drsomebody » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:55 pm

scionb4 wrote: I just can't understand anyone who puts that much effort into projecting who they want others to perceive them to be through their image
And you want to be a lawyer?
Finally, something that Bros and Hipsters can agree on.

beebs

Bronze

Post by beebs » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:57 pm

I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn - aka hipster center of the universe, and I'm not going to lie --

hipster kickball may be the most fun I've ever had on a Sunday afternoon in McCarren Park.

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

Earth Crisis FTL

haha, this is true. Whenever I go to a local show there's always lots of scrawny v-neck/gym short wearing kids trying mosh

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:58 pm

beebs wrote:I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn - aka hipster center of the universe, and I'm not going to lie --

hipster kickball may be the most fun I've ever had on a Sunday afternoon in McCarren Park.
[strike]Is bacon still a thing with them?[/strike] Are hipsters still into bacon?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:03 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
I hope we end up at the same school. :D
Wahoo, me too. I'm watching the movie Doubt while drinking wine and eating chocolate froyo. I think I'm currently the anti-hipster.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:09 pm

drsomebody wrote:
scionb4 wrote: I just can't understand anyone who puts that much effort into projecting who they want others to perceive them to be through their image

Touché. Good point. But at least as a lawyer I can still listen the Rolling Stones and not be ostracized by my friends. And I'll be in a $3,000 suit instead of the outfit the guy was wearing in the picture shown above.

elliefont

Bronze

Post by elliefont » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:33 pm

scionb4 wrote:
drsomebody wrote:

Touché. Good point. But at least as a lawyer I can still listen the Rolling Stones and not be ostracized by my friends. And I'll be in a $3,000 suit instead of the outfit the guy was wearing in the picture shown above.
COME ON! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EcC3mj3oYw

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:59 pm

elliefont wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
drsomebody wrote:

COME ON! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EcC3mj3oYw
:lol:

ugchicago

New

Post by ugchicago » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:11 pm

Maybe one or two at most at CU, many more hippies. :D

IMO hipsters are all just trying to imitate this guy, circa 1965-66.

--ImageRemoved--

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:13 pm

Bob Dylan. The man who made a Victoria's Secret commercial uncomfortable for both genders, universally.

Well done B-Dyl. Well done.

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:35 pm

even2flow wrote:So...are you trying to find a school where hipsters exist so you can go and fit in, or are you trying to find one where they don't exist so that you can either 1) fit in or 2) not conform by being the only hipster on campus?

I'm confused, but that was a legitimate question.

Hipsters don't really bug me. Some of the girls are fun to look at and have decent recommendations for music sometimes.

I was at a bar a few weeks ago and this hipster dude told my friend that he bought his pants at H&M in the women's section. I thought that was hilarious.

Anyway, time for Lost.
Well I ask because I was curious about the kind of people I can expect to see in law school. Also as much as many hipsters irritate me and as much as I joke about them and I joke about them a lot, some of my best friends are real hipsters and some are wannabes and while I am not a hipster I have been known to occasionally wear almost skinny jeans, retro nikes/adidas and I like vintage clothes...oh and I do own a pair of those big effing glasses that they all wear (although I rarely wear them and wouldn't wear them around law school preppy types) and I like there music. So I guess there's a bit of cultural identification there.

Plus I saw some taking the lsat so I figure some must wanna go to law school and I thought that was kinda funny.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:wouldn't wear them around law school preppy types

Um...why? If you want to wear your stupid glasses, wear them. To class. Not an interview.

I think you're taking the category of "hipster," far too seriously.

Scooter

New

Post by Scooter » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 pm

For those that are curious, there is a RPG in development where you can play out the life of a hipster.

http://gamermelodico.blogspot.com/2010/ ... pster.html

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:05 am

Pearalegal wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:wouldn't wear them around law school preppy types

Um...why? If you want to wear your stupid glasses, wear them. To class. Not an interview.

I think you're taking the category of "hipster," far too seriously.
Well one reason I wouldn't wear them to class is they're none perscription so they don't help me read any better than without them. That's one reason, another would be I only wear them to go out to one of "those kinda places" which is where preppy types don't go, clubs etc. But I wanna hang out with my classmates in law school and that may include hanging out in bars that preppy types go to in which case I wouldnt wear my "stupid glasses."

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:13 am

A hipster put his ass an inch from my head on the bus this morning, skinny dudes ass in girl jeans in my face was the last thing I wanted to see ever, most of all not as I wake up and prep for the day. I am still pissed about this. I don't know any hipsters but I do know I am the nemesis of all hipsterdom. I am hoping there are no hipsters at my law school, I cant stand them and I don't really know why. Are there any legit reasons to hate hipster? I think I hate them because they are often condescending phonies, but I dont really know any so I am unsure. Anyways I am not racist or prejudice against anyone, I [strike]realize[/strike] realized I have to be prejudiced against some group so hipsters are it. (sarcasm intended-but I still dislike hipsters and any form of hipsterdom).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”