Is Cardozo as good as Fordham???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fsr2

Is Cardozo as good as Fordham???

Postby fsr2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Hey all I got into Cardozo's Full Time program and Fordhams Part time program. I was planning to work while going to school and thought Fordham would be a perfect fit. However, I did receive half scholarship from Cardozo and now I am rethinking my decision to work while going to law school. Fordham is ranked #30, and Cardozo #49....but if I plan to work in New York, does it matter much? Any opinions?

Cardboardbox

Re: Is Cardozo as good as Fordham???

Postby Cardboardbox » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:47 pm

No, while Cardozo seems to be a solid school it's not in the same leauge as Fordham, especially since your goal is to work Part-time and you got into the Fordham PT program. Fordham, all the way.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:48 pm

No. Fordham has been around ALOT longer, and has developed a wider network of alumni.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:48 pm

Cardozo has a couple of cool programs, but the decision to choose Fordham over Cardozo was a very easy one for me to make. Cardozo gave me a bigger scholarship than any other school had, but the money was less tempting when I realized it came with strings attached. (Top 40% to retain the full amount, in my case). Fordham has roughly triple the biglaw placement that Cardozo has, if that is a consideration for you. ITE things aren't great anywhere, and we don't have the 2009 numbers yet. I've personally been very happy with our Public Interest Resource Center (PIRC), which is devoted to nonprofit legal work and volunteering. One of the student groups helped me get a wonderful internship, and I am as involved in school activities as my schedule allows me to be.

I am paying sticker here, and I'm very happy with the school, and feel that it is very much worth the money. FTR I am an evening student.

guyincognito

Postby guyincognito » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:54 pm

no.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:58 pm

Well, from an academic perspective, I would suspect that Cardozo could possibly be as good or even better than Fordham. Their teachers are supposedly really good. But practical concerns dictate that students given a choice between the two pick Fordham, all things equal. Cardozo's facilities don't match up either, and Fordham is about to have a new complex. It could be the best in the country when they finish it. That's going to attract even better students and faculty than they have now. People underestimate the value of great facilities.

It will take Cardozo another few decades to match up with Fordham. But don't sleep on it. Cardozo students get a damn good education. They just don't have the alumni base and resources to put it all to maximum use...yet!
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

No...

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:44 pm

nope...i would think that fordham pretty much universally known as the number 3 law school on the island.

AgentOrange80

Postby AgentOrange80 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:59 pm

I think both are good schools. Rankings wise they seem to be moving in opposite directions. I believe Fordham fell a few spots in the last ranking and Cardozo jumped up again and is now in the top 50. The earlier poster hit it perfect when he said the faculty at Cardozo is amazing. They consistently rank around the top 20-25 across the country in terms of materials published, prestige, etc.

Cardozo has developed a great reputation in the region and even in a very down economy had all the major firms participating in OCI and resume collect. One of the things that sets Cardozo apart is their clinical programs (15+ different areas of law to gain actual experience in) and the numerous internship for credit programs. In addition, Cardozo maintains a Center for Public Service that is constantly bringing new opportunities to students to get involved during the school year, as well as for summer employment.

I can't argue with the earlier poster about the extensiveness of Fordham's alumni network vs. Cardozo's, but the Cardozo alumni is young and very active in building in-roads to the firms they secure employment at. Both are great schools and each offers its unique perks. I would recommend calling the admission offices at both and setting up a tour, sitting in on classes there and asking to speak with students re: their perspective on the schools.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:19 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:No, while Cardozo seems to be a solid school it's not in the same leauge as Fordham, especially since your goal is to work Part-time and you got into the Fordham PT program. Fordham, all the way.

This, especially if the Cardozo scholarship comes with strings attached.

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Maybe if there's something specific you want to do that Cardozo has ties to, but for the vast majority of people the answer is no. Cardozo was a school I took a good long look at before I had an LSAT score, and I like it a lot, but Fordham will offer you more opportunities after graduation.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 pm

no.

Plus, Fordham is just so cool...and they have OS!

frix0803

Postby frix0803 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:48 pm

No, Fordham is better.

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Fordham at sticker > Cardozo with big scholarship.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”