Toledo or Wayne State

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LCE

Toledo or Wayne State

Postby LCE » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:35 pm

I have been accepted to both institutions for the Fall 2010 full time program. Both programs have offered me money, which would equal out to Wayne costing slightly more per year due to tuition differences. They seem to be ranked about the same as well. I am from southeast Michigan directly between Detroit and Toledo, so the alumni networks are both available in the area I hope to practice. I don't have a particular idea of what type of law I would like to practice, but I'm leaning toward employment (I'm fully aware this may change once I get to law school) but both WSU and Toledo have programs in that area.

Just looking for some feedback! Thanks!

bighead715

Re: Toledo or Wayne State

Postby bighead715 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:17 pm

From what I understand, WSU is the best bet in the state of Michigan aside from UM. MSU is on the rise, but WSU is still regarded as 2nd best by judges and lawyers. It's a very respectable school. I don't know much about Toledo. I do know it's not as highly regarded as WSU in Michigan. I can't speak for Ohio.

If you want to practice in southeast Michigan. Go to WSU.

Congrats on getting monies!

OnWisconsin

Postby OnWisconsin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:52 am

Toledo is, obviously, located in Toledo Ohio. A boring ex-industrial town in the rust belt that is struggling to find it's new identity.

Wayne State? Get a first hand look at the post apocalyptic world that is Detroit and the greater state of Michigan.

Ohio at least has Cincinnati which is of some size, Michigan has Grand Rapids, Grosse Point and wilderness.

Plus Toledo was up until recently top 100 for what it's worth.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:04 am

I'm a 2L at Toledo and I'm pretty familiar with Wayne as well. PM me if you want to discuss.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Toledo's had a massive 3 employers come to its OCI this year. Sounds like a great investment..

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Can you get into Cooley for free? It might not be too much of a trek for you to get to the Auburn Hills campus, depending on where you live. That's what I decided on if I stay in the area, instead of going into debt for Wayne or Toledo.

LCE

Postby LCE » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:13 pm

I'm not considering Cooley at all because I'm being offered money at both of those institutions. Unfortunately Cooley doesn't have a spectacular reputation so I never really gave it a chance to be honest (Plus I do not have any interest in living in Lansing, where the main campus is.) I have met a few very sucessful grads of Cooley though, one specifically who was hired by a large firm in Columbus and is making a great living.

I'm leaning toward Toledo because of my networking opportunities in the area. I was hoping that there was specific information about either of the programs that would help me lean one way, but it doesn't appear that way.

Were there really only three potential employers to show up to Toledo? Is that a fact from someone who attended? Just curious.

Thanks!

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:51 am

LCE wrote:I'm not considering Cooley at all because I'm being offered money at both of those institutions. Unfortunately Cooley doesn't have a spectacular reputation so I never really gave it a chance to be honest (Plus I do not have any interest in living in Lansing, where the main campus is.) I have met a few very sucessful grads of Cooley though, one specifically who was hired by a large firm in Columbus and is making a great living.

I'm leaning toward Toledo because of my networking opportunities in the area. I was hoping that there was specific information about either of the programs that would help me lean one way, but it doesn't appear that way.

Were there really only three potential employers to show up to Toledo? Is that a fact from someone who attended? Just curious.

Thanks!

Yes, I know someone who went there last year. I think the problem with Ohio is that there are around 50 TTTs in the state and not very many jobs. Toledo is obviously closer to Michigan but I don't think any of the Michigan firms know/care that is exists and none of them go there for OCI.

Also, FWIW, Cooley w/ full ride > Toledo. Both will likely leave you jobless in the end with the current state of the economy, but at least at Cooley w/ a full-ride you won't have lost much money in the process (if you do the 2-year plan, taking 45 credits /year, you will probably just be out around $30K for the cost of living, insurance, etc., which isn't particularly good, but it should be manageable as a retail/fast food worker across a 10 year repayment).

LCE

Postby LCE » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 pm

I wasn't aware my options were limited to retail and fast food. I suppose I'll take my chances and risk it at one of these two schools.

There is no need to insult anyones education, it may not be what you want, but its not your path. Being considerate gets you farther than being rude. Just saying.

Thanks for the information!

Tea&Coffee

Postby Tea&Coffee » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:58 pm

I strongly recommend Wayne State. Like Bighead said, the school is very strong in Michigan and you can network easily through the many alumni that live within the state. Good luck with your decision and congrats on the money!

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi, congratulations on the $.

I got a full ride from Toledo and turned it down. I was told they engage in section staking and that 50 %of their scholars loose their funding after 1L. (it might be heresy) My scholarship made me keep a 2.5 but I have heard 3.0 was required from other admitted students.

Be sure to take this into consideration or you might be starting a thread of whether you should continue as a 2L.

Best of Luck.

FWIW, I am currently deciding over Wake Forest and UIUC, one with full tuition and the other over 3/4. I am not embarrassed to admit that I got in to Cooley with a full tuition scholarship and that I was determined to attended if I couldn't get other scholarships.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:26 am

I love it when people pass on second-hand information from "a friend who goes there."

There were about 20 employers scheduled to interview on campus at Toledo this fall.

Here's a partial list directly from Symplicity:

Bingham McHale LLP (Indianapolis, IN), Cooper & Walinski LPA (Toledo, OH) , Eastman & Smith (Toledo, OH), Miller Canfield Paddock & Stone, P.L.C. (Detroit, MI), Janik LLP (Cleveland OH), Marshall & Melhorn, LLC (Toledo, OH), Robison Curphey & O'Connell (Toledo, OH), Spengler Nathanson (Toledo, OH), Honigman Miller Schwartz & Cohn (Detroit, MI), Shumaker Loop & Kendrick (Toledo, OH), Plunkett Cooney (Detroit, MI), Reminger (Sandusky/Toledo, OH), Critchfield Critchfield & Johnson (Wooster , OH), Ohio Attorney General (Columbus, OH ), Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan (Lansing MI).

And anyone who suggests going to Cooley over either Toledo or Wayne State is simply insane. Fair or not, Cooley has a tremendous stigma with employers, and that stigma might be at its worst in Michigan, probably as a product of too many unemployed Cooley grads seeking work.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:38 pm

Toledo. It's a tier 2, no?

nick637

Postby nick637 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:46 pm

Bankhead wrote:Toledo. It's a tier 2, no?

Not a t2 anymore dropped out last year I believe down to TTT

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:09 pm

http://www.mudhens.com/

the best sports team ever, definitely pick toledo

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:27 pm

OP, what are your numbers? WSU is one of my targets..

Return to “Choosing a Law School”