Louisville???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
glmn01
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Louisville???

Postby glmn01 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Hello Everybody!

I did my undergraduate work at the University of Louisville and was recently accepted to the Law School there. (University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law). I'm not thrilled with the ranking (T-98) but the in-state tuition looks really nice on paper. I was accepted to Michigan State w/no scholarship (WAY too expensive) and am hopeful to get in to a few other schools (Penn State, Case Western, UK, IU).

I realize that if I didn't get a scholarship from Louisville, my chances of getting scholarships from other, higher ranked institutions is probably even worse. With that being said, would it be worth it to shell out a TON of money to attend a higher ranked school or is UofL's $14,500 p/y tuition the best way to go?

Thanks
GLMN)1

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Louisville???

Postby reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:25 pm

glmn01 wrote:Hello Everybody!

I did my undergraduate work at the University of Louisville and was recently accepted to the Law School there. (University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law). I'm not thrilled with the ranking (T-98) but the in-state tuition looks really nice on paper. I was accepted to Michigan State w/no scholarship (WAY too expensive) and am hopeful to get in to a few other schools (Penn State, Case Western, UK, IU).

I realize that if I didn't get a scholarship from Louisville, my chances of getting scholarships from other, higher ranked institutions is probably even worse. With that being said, would it be worth it to shell out a TON of money to attend a higher ranked school or is UofL's $14,500 p/y tuition the best way to go?

Thanks
GLMN)1


If you want to live/work in Louisville after graduation I would say U of L is perfect..... I'm not sure UK in Lexington, despite their higher ranking, will serve you much better in any meaningful getting-a-job-sense if Louisville is definitely the city you'd like to live/work in. The relatively low cost is a huge bonus as well. Anyways, it's all about how far (or not) you'd like the reach of your JD degree to be. Some of the others you mentioned obviously have a broader reach, but that might not matter to you.

User avatar
deadpanic
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: Louisville???

Postby deadpanic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:46 pm

U of L doesn't really give out much scholarship money, since the tuition is already really low, unless you have T14 like numbers. So, realistically, you could still get some money from somewhere.

Where do you want to work after graduation?

ukerock2005
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Louisville???

Postby ukerock2005 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 pm

deadpanic wrote:U of L doesn't really give out much scholarship money, since the tuition is already really low, unless you have T14 like numbers. So, realistically, you could still get some money from somewhere.

Where do you want to work after graduation?


I got a half scholarship offer from U of L and I didn't have T14 numbers.

I would suggest going to UK over U of L. Everyone I have talked to says how much farther a UK degree goes in Kentucky in comparison to UofL or NKU. I ended up choosing UK over UofL and I am very happy with my decision.

glmn01
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Re: Louisville???

Postby glmn01 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks for the great input!! I have also heard more positive things about UK Law vs. UofL which might be due to their ranking? (UK=T55, UofL= T98) but for the life of me, aside from the ranking, no one has been able to give me a good reason as to why the stereotype is that UK is better....

I do not know where I wish to practice, to be honest I do not have much of a preference at this point. Realistically speaking, I will graduate with a fair amount of debt (close to $100,000 if I go to UK or UofL or close 150,000-180,000 at Case Western/Penn State) and just want to make sure that I make the smartest decision by choosing the "best" (academics/job placement/cost of attendance) choice available.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Louisville???

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:33 am

glmn01 wrote:Thanks for the great input!! I have also heard more positive things about UK Law vs. UofL which might be due to their ranking? (UK=T55, UofL= T98) but for the life of me, aside from the ranking, no one has been able to give me a good reason as to why the stereotype is that UK is better....

I do not know where I wish to practice, to be honest I do not have much of a preference at this point. Realistically speaking, I will graduate with a fair amount of debt (close to $100,000 if I go to UK or UofL or close 150,000-180,000 at Case Western/Penn State) and just want to make sure that I make the smartest decision by choosing the "best" (academics/job placement/cost of attendance) choice available.


Neither Case or Penn State are worth that extra debt, especially not Penn State. Given your situation--and if you truly don't know what type of law you want to practice/where you want to practice--I'd go to whichever Kentucky school is cheaper. Both Kentucky schools do well in Cincinnati, and I bet Louisville grads are able to get to Indianapolis or St. Louis too, though I've never looked into it.

User avatar
bizjunkie4
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Louisville???

Postby bizjunkie4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:16 am

glmn01 wrote:Thanks for the great input!! I have also heard more positive things about UK Law vs. UofL which might be due to their ranking? (UK=T55, UofL= T98) but for the life of me, aside from the ranking, no one has been able to give me a good reason as to why the stereotype is that UK is better....

I do not know where I wish to practice, to be honest I do not have much of a preference at this point. Realistically speaking, I will graduate with a fair amount of debt (close to $100,000 if I go to UK or UofL or close 150,000-180,000 at Case Western/Penn State) and just want to make sure that I make the smartest decision by choosing the "best" (academics/job placement/cost of attendance) choice available.



Biased 1L at Louisville weighing in on what is a great conversation so far: I predict that you won't find a lot of job numbers to back up the UK v. UL claims because there really isn't much of a difference (at least not in Louisville). I would imagine that UK does a better job of placing students in Cincinnati, and in other regional cities. Its students also appear to have higher GPA and LSAT numbers. But if you comb through the Web sites of the big local firms such as Dinsmore, Stoll Keenon, Frost Brown, etc., you will see just as many, if not more, students from Louisville as you will from UK, etc. I chose Louisville over IU-Bloomington, Washington & Lee and others for this very reason. Don't be fooled by smoke-and-mirrors rankings that are based on the number of chairs in the law library, the annual giving of fat cat alumni, or, for TLS, the ridiculous and unsourced profiles of the schools posted on this Web site. For example, a school like Louisville that emphasizes a well-rounded legal education over specialties in tax, environmental law, or other areas takes a hit because it doesn't appear in any 'specialty' rankings lists. Also, even if you assume that UK is a "better" school, this may mean that you will not finish in the same spot in your class. Almost every student entering law school believes they will destroy the competition, just like in undergrad. But the admonition of 1L faculty holds true: 80 percent of all students will not finish in the top 20 percent of their class. That's my two cents. Good luck with your decision!

- alex davis

PS -- UK does have a superior basketball team (this year).
PPS -- I also received a half ride at UL, on 3.8/162 (partly due to leveraging offers from other schools)

User avatar
jeeptiger09
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Louisville???

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:56 am

Louisville graduates will do well in Louisville and Kentucky graduates will do well across the state. Keep in mind that the majority of the legal markets and larger law firms in the state are in Louisville (with a few being in Lex and NKY). For the OP, Case and Penn State are not worth the extra debt in my opinion, but keep in mind that a UK or U of L degree is more than likely going to keep you in the Bluegrass State.

Alex is absolutely right, biglaw out of Louisville and Lex hire graduates from both schools. A friend at Stites & Harbison (possibly the biggest firm in the state) said that each office will usually hire from its feeder school. When you weigh UK vs. U of L, I really think it's just preference. UK holds a significantly higher ranking, but as far as placement and salary, both schools are very comparable. The one advantage I would say that UK has is its connections to Judicial Clerkships (simply because UK has a bigger name across the state than U of L does).

OP already knows this but if anyone else is debating UK/U of L, I'd recommend making a trip down to see which you prefer. Lexington is a large college town that revolves around UK. It's got decent nightlife, pretty scenery, and a great campus atmosphere. But keep in mind that it's very undergrad-dominated. Louisville is a great young professional type city with awesome nightlife and lots to do. The only drawback is that U of L is more-or-less a commuter school and it's dominated by students from Louisville and surrounding counties. Very little campus atmosphere.

And yes, the basketball is better here in Lexington. And it will be for a long time...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: charmonster and 4 guests