Waitlists and Scholarship Money

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Snowdrifter

Waitlists and Scholarship Money

Postby Snowdrifter » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:41 am

This probably seems like a terribly-obvious question, but being a 0L, I figured I would try to sift through the haze. I am a splitter and waitlisted at 7 different schools of varying rank and prestige, with a small handful of acceptances and rejections to accompany them.

At any rate, my question is thus:

Do schools accepting you off the waitlist ever offer you scholarship money?

I'm inclined to think they would not. Since they have trouble asking you to attend at all, it seems unlikely they would offer you some scholarship money, but I figured I would ask, to see if anyone has heard of this happening...?

I'm concerned at the sticker price of some of the T1's in DC and NYC, but I suppose it translates to better employment prospects than some of the T2's with $$ ...

jtang11

Re: Waitlists and Scholarship Money

Postby jtang11 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:51 pm

I don't have too much knowledge on the subject, but I do have friends who ended up going to USC and Northwestern off waitlists. Both are paying sticker unfortunately.

FromRussiaWithLove

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:54 pm

I have been through two cycles and I can tell you that I have never heard of anyone getting merit money off of a wait list. Need-based is a different story, but it rarely covers a significant amount of tuition. Pick a lower ranked school or prepare to owe the feds.

Lermontov

Postby Lermontov » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:56 pm

And if your WL is clearly a YP? When you express sufficient, genuine interest, could this never yield money?

FromRussiaWithLove

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 pm

Lermontov wrote:And if your WL is clearly a YP? When you express sufficient, genuine interest, could this never yield money?

YP is a different story. I can't say anything in that situation because I have never met anyone who has been WL'ed for YP reasons.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:02 pm

As someone on seven waitlists, I've been wondering about this also.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:20 pm

I remember reading about a few people who were accepted of of WL's with scholarships, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”