Good schools if practicing in Texas?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
anonis

Good schools if practicing in Texas?

Postby anonis » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:12 am

Last edited by anonis on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Bond

Re: Good schools if practicing in Texas?

Postby James Bond » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:14 am

Try http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com and http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

or retake the LSAT and try to get into UT

anonis

Postby anonis » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:16 am

Lol, I know how to use LSP, I was just asking for people's opinions on good safety schools for me given my current stats if I wanted to practice in Texas

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:18 am

SMU? You might have a decent chance

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:19 am

biv0ns wrote:SMU? You might have a decent chance

+1

anonis

Postby anonis » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:20 am

lol thanks, I already applied there. I've applied to most of the schools in Texas and am just looking for safety schools in other states that carry a decent reputation in Texas

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:24 am

UT looks like a long-shot, but I think that you stand a pretty good chance of being admitted at SMU with some scholarship money (especially in light of the fact that they have been trying to boost their LSAT scores).

For Houston, U of H would be a very good low-cost option. I wouldn't even consider Baylor unless offered a 3/4 scholarship.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:25 am

anonis wrote:lol thanks, I already applied there. I've applied to most of the schools in Texas and am just looking for safety schools in other states that carry a decent reputation in Texas

I'm trying (and failing) to find a certain graph I remember seeing that would say something to that effect. Also, I wouldn't go to anywhere in Texas not UT and SMU

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:26 am

anonis wrote:lol thanks, I already applied there. I've applied to most of the schools in Texas and am just looking for safety schools in other states that carry a decent reputation in Texas

Below a certain rank (some would say below HYS), all schools are regional. If you want to practice in Texas, and you can't get into the T14 + UT, then try SMU or Houston. Failing any of those, Baylor, if you are determined to practice law in Texas and can't get into any of the other schools.

anonis

Postby anonis » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 am

Esc wrote:

Below a certain rank (some would say below HYS), all schools are regional. If you want to practice in Texas, and you can't get into the T14 + UT, then try SMU or Houston. Failing any of those, Baylor, if you are determined to practice law in Texas and can't get into any of the other schools.

Hmm, thanks. This is kind of what I was hoping not to hear :(

Are there any schools that might at the very least possibly do decent in Texas that are not in Texas? Maybe on the same level as Baylor?

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 am

anonis wrote:Are there any schools that might at the very least possibly do decent in Texas that are not in Texas? Maybe on the same level as Baylor?

Not really. The only one that comes to mind would be Tulane. That might carry some weight in Houston. I really don't have any first-hand knowledge, though.

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:12 am

I concur with Tulane. It's a little late to be applying though. But I mean, I wouldn't consider Tulane a "safety" - it's a good enough school on it's own right. I think you have a good chance of getting into SMU especially if you go part time.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:01 am

anonis wrote:
Esc wrote:

Are there any schools that might at the very least possibly do decent in Texas that are not in Texas? Maybe on the same level as Baylor?

If you don't have some serious Texas connections through family/friends/former colleagues, if you want to have a "decent" shot at Texas, your choices are (in order of preference):

T14 + UT
SMU, UH
------------
Tulane (can get you to Houston, if you do well)
Baylor (probably should have put this above Tulane, they make decent trial attorneys, but I hate Waco) :mrgreen:
------------
South Texas (if mid-law in Houston is acceptable to you)
Texas Tech/Texas Southern (if you want to be Matlock ... though to be fair to Matlock, he studied at Harvard)
------------
Prayer, fasting, and faith healing

The end. You can probably fiddle with the order at the end of the scale, but that's the essence of it. If you can find a significantly better deal, then you should patent it. You may have discovered a new element. Texas is a very insular market.

Long shot: Oklahoma*
-- * Based on a friend's experience, Oklahoma gives you a shot at Dallas -- but by a shot, I mean, you are trying to land a 747 on a short runway in some serious turbulence created by the above schools, and your fuel is low, and you'll need to be near the top of your class or be Sully Sullenberger to accomplish it. And my friend had to lateral into it -- he didn't start in Big D -- and he ended up in mid-law, not biglaw. I would not recommend this approach unless you'd be okay with practicing in Oklahoma if you failed, as he was.

Good luck.

(Minor edit for clarity, substance of the post is the same.)
Last edited by FunkyJD on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:14 am

FunkyJD wrote:
anonis wrote:
Esc wrote:

If you don't have some serious Texas connections through family/friends/former colleagues, if you want to have a "decent" shot at Texas, your choices are (in order of preference):

T14 + UT
SMU, UH
------------
Baylor (probably should have put this above Tulane, they make decent trial attorneys, but I hate Waco) :mrgreen:
------------
Texas Tech/Texas Southern (if you want to be Matlock ... though to be fair to Matlock, he studied at Harvard)
------------

The end. You can probably fiddle with the order at the end of the scale, but that's the essence of it. If you can find a significantly better deal, then you should patent it. You may have discovered a new element. Texas is a very insular market.

-- * Based on a friend's experience, Oklahoma gives you a shot at Dallas -- but by a shot, I mean, you are trying to land a 747 on a short runway in some serious turbulence created by the above schools, and your fuel is low, and you'll need to be near the top of your class or be Sully Sullenberger to accomplish it. And he had to lateral into it -- he didn't start in Big D -- and he ended up in mid-law, not biglaw. I would not recommend this approach unless you'd be okay with practicing in Oklahoma if you failed, as he was.

Good luck.

Switch Baylor and Tulane, put SMU on a tier above UH and I would agree with this entire post. GL OP, and go to SMU.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:20 am

biv0ns wrote:or retake the LSAT and try to get into UT

This might not even be possible. UT seems to have a 3.4 cutoff that is extremely difficult to overcome, even with a mid 170's LSAT. OP is close, so they may round up.

billyez wrote:I concur with Tulane. It's a little late to be applying though. But I mean, I wouldn't consider Tulane a "safety" - it's a good enough school on it's own right. I think you have a good chance of getting into SMU especially if you go part time.

I don't totally understand the Tulane legend. I don't think it's a better school than SMU or UH. OP's numbers would get into all 3 schools and money at SMU and Tulane with an earlier application. I have no idea this late in the cycle though.

EDIT: I just read OP already applied to the Texas schools. Throwing an app at Tulane wouldn't hurt, but IMO if you want to stay in Texas the only reason to even consider going there would be if it's cheaper than SMU and UH, and this is unlikely.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:42 am

I got in to SMU with lower numbers than yours.

Relax.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:16 pm

I'd recommend Tulane - they seem to do an okay job placing people back into Texas and with your numbers you also might get some scholarship money. You're also probably looking at some scholarship money from UH. (Granted, the bit about Tulane is an anecdote from 3 people, all of whom were in the top 15 percent.)
Last edited by emkay625 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:13 pm

emkay625 wrote:I'd recommend Tulane - they seem to do a really nice job placing people back into Texas and with your numbers you also might get some scholarship money. You're also probably looking at some scholarship money from UH.

Perhaps, but I would be hestitant to take Tulane over SMU or U of H for Texas (unless Tulane was throwing out some serious cash).

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:19 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:If you don't have some serious Texas connections through family/friends/former colleagues, if you want to have a "decent" shot at Texas, your choices are (in order of preference):

T14 + UT
SMU, UH
------------
------------
------------

-- * Based on a friend's experience, Oklahoma gives you a shot at Dallas -- but by a shot, I mean, you are trying to land a 747 on a short runway in some serious turbulence created by the above schools, and your fuel is low, and you'll need to be near the top of your class or be Sully Sullenberger to accomplish it. And he had to lateral into it -- he didn't start in Big D -- and he ended up in mid-law, not biglaw. I would not recommend this approach unless you'd be okay with practicing in Oklahoma if you failed, as he was.

Good luck.

Switch Baylor and Tulane, put SMU on a tier above UH and I would agree with this entire post. GL OP, and go to SMU.

This. Girls are smokin at SMU too

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:20 pm

kittenmittons wrote:

Agreed. God bless Texas.

vale1rd

Postby vale1rd » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Missouri, Oklahoma, Tulane, LSU and Arkansas might be good schools to look into and see how they place in Texas

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 pm

He wants to practice in Texas. Texas is like its own little country.

Go to school in Texas. You're in at SMU.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:27 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

Agreed. God bless Texas.

This is true, but I'd take the girls of 6th Street on a Thursday night anynight!

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:29 pm

kalvano wrote:He wants to practice in Texas. Texas is like its own little country.

credited

/thread

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:55 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
kalvano wrote:He wants to practice in Texas. Texas is like its own little country.

credited

/thread

So true. Plus...
--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Choosing a Law School”