Cincy vs. OSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Who?

Cincy
13
27%
OSU
35
73%
 
Total votes: 48

Rawlsian
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby Rawlsian » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:18 am

the OSU. Even if you think UC is better for Cinci, and Case is better for Cleveland (I think both claims are suspect), Columbus is a larger legal market than Cleveland or Cinci, is a growing city, and has a all-around better quality of life. Not to mention that the OSU alumni are absolutely rabid. If you want to stay in Ohio, the OSU network will pay dividends down the road.

ClosetStateSchooler
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:44 am

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby ClosetStateSchooler » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:25 am

Not knowing the money situation, I think that I would pick OSU. I think there are less OSU grads in Cincy because they just don't want to live there even though they can find work there.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:53 am

Rawlsian wrote:the OSU. Even if you think UC is better for Cinci, and Case is better for Cleveland (I think both claims are suspect), Columbus is a larger legal market than Cleveland or Cinci, is a growing city, and has a all-around better quality of life. Not to mention that the OSU alumni are absolutely rabid. If you want to stay in Ohio, the OSU network will pay dividends down the road.


Ya, it's my understanding that tOSU places just as well if not better in cleveland than Case. And case is WAY more expensive.

Chants
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby Chants » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:01 pm

I think OSU is the clear front runner in Ohio, but with $ both UC and Case aren't too far behind (esp if in state at UC).

However, the UC law building leaves plenty to be desired. Cincinnati is a fun city but the area immediately surrounding UC (Clifton) is pretty run down. If you have a car to commute to campus, the mt. Adam's area is nice and bellevue,ky across the river is nice as well for those looking to take advantage of the metro tuition rate.

As for Columbus, I don't know about comparing it to San Fran...but it is a nice city with a lot to offer younger professionals. The arena district, german village, and brewery district are all good times. Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati are all generally more white collar while cleveland, toledo, kent, youngstown, akron etc. are more blue collar/industrial. This is why Ohio is usually a crucial swing state in elections because it is often evenly split between republicans in SW, central ohio vs. Democrats in northern/eastern Ohio.
Last edited by Chants on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AKenter
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby AKenter » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks a lot for the comments thus far. They have been very helpful.

One of the major things that I like about Cincy is that they offer a small, intimate learning environment. I don't like the idea of being "swallowed up", so to speak, in the massive OSU class. Can anyone speak to the experience of being in a large OSU class? Can anyone else speak to that of a small Cincy one? Thanks again.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Chants wrote:I think OSU is the clear front runner in Ohio, but with $ both UC and Case aren't too far behind (esp if in state at UC).

However, the UC law building leaves plenty to be desired. Cincinnati is a fun city but the area immediately surrounding UC (Clifton) is pretty run down. If you have a car to commute to campus, the mt. Adam's area is nice and bellevue,ky across the river is nice as well for those looking to take advantage of the metro tuition rate.


I'm not even sure if I agree with that. I think columbus has much more to do than cincinnati.

Chants
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby Chants » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Chants wrote:I think OSU is the clear front runner in Ohio, but with $ both UC and Case aren't too far behind (esp if in state at UC).

However, the UC law building leaves plenty to be desired. Cincinnati is a fun city but the area immediately surrounding UC (Clifton) is pretty run down. If you have a car to commute to campus, the mt. Adam's area is nice and bellevue,ky across the river is nice as well for those looking to take advantage of the metro tuition rate.


I'm not even sure if I agree with that. I think columbus has much more to do than cincinnati.



I agree. Never said anything to the contrary. Simply stated cincinnati has some fun areas too.

Also, this doesn't apply to OP because he/she is already in state, but for oos students the metro tuition rate (same as in state rate) offered to those willing to live across the river in Ky is a nice deal.
Last edited by Chants on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Chants wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Chants wrote:I think OSU is the clear front runner in Ohio, but with $ both UC and Case aren't too far behind (esp if in state at UC).

However, the UC law building leaves plenty to be desired. Cincinnati is a fun city but the area immediately surrounding UC (Clifton) is pretty run down. If you have a car to commute to campus, the mt. Adam's area is nice and bellevue,ky across the river is nice as well for those looking to take advantage of the metro tuition rate.


I'm not even sure if I agree with that. I think columbus has much more to do than cincinnati.



I agree. Never said anything to the contrary. Simply stated cincinnati has some fun areas too.


Gotcha.

Also, OP, tOSU's law school is pretty small. I'm not sure where you are getting that it is a large school that you'll get swallowed up in. They have roughly 225 kids per class which is smaller than most. Cincy has less, but not so much less it will really make a difference. In reality both are small law schools. I certainly would not worry about that, especially considering tOSU is the better school and has a higher QOL IMHO.

Chants
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby Chants » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:20 pm

I agree. OSU is huge but the law school class isn't. Best of both worlds- smaller class and the HUGE OSU alumni network. In the end, OSU without a doubt if in state at both unless UC throws $$$ at you. Id pick OSU vs 20k over 3 yrs at UC

2014jd
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby 2014jd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:31 pm

AKenter wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
AKenter wrote:I am curious. What advice would you give someone who is trying to decide between OSU and UC if that person could go to UC for $20,000 less in total?


I think it depends on how much $20,000 plus interest means to you, and also how much you are paying to begin with. For example, if tOSU is sticker and UC is $20,000 less, I'd go with UC. But if we're talking about a full ride at UC and $20,000 more at tOSU, I'd personally choose tOSU in a heartbeat.

For the record, I went to Ohio State for undergrad. Maybe it was just an UG thing, but being part of that community for a few years is worth $20,000 in my opinion; it's pretty fucking awesome. Most people will probably disagree, but I tend to place a lot of value on life experiences.


Could you tell me more about the OSU vibe? What is it that was so special? (I have not yet visited the school.) To give you more information, UC is offering me 9,000 and OSU is offering me 11,000. The 20,000 difference comes from the fact that UC offers the graduate metro rate for students who move to KY which would be great for me as I am not from Ohio and so could not gain in-state rates at OSU until my second year. It looks like the difference for me would be 90,000 vs. 110,000+. Thanks for your help! :)


From an email exchange I have had with Asst Dean Watson, it seems that Cincy is willing to negotiate their scholarship offer. Also, make sure you check out some of the other information on this forum about obtaining resident status at Ohio State because it is not automatic

AKenter
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby AKenter » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Is it really that hard to get Ohio state? I was under the impression that it was easy to get for your second year if you are an independent...

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby Lwoods » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Chants wrote:
As for Columbus, I don't know about comparing it to San Fran...but it is a nice city with a lot to offer younger professionals. The arena district, german village, and brewery district are all good times. Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati are all generally more white collar while cleveland, toledo, kent, youngstown, akron etc. are more blue collar/industrial. This is why Ohio is usually a crucial swing state in elections because it is often evenly split between republicans in SW, central ohio vs. Democrats in northern/eastern Ohio.


Just wanted to chime in to ditto this sentiment. I moved here less than a year ago from NYC, and while it really can't compare to New York, I'd say it's the second best Midwestern city (after Chicago... so a distant second, but second nonetheless).
I'm also not a big party person, which makes me feel like OSU Law will be a bad fit (NYU undergrad was a perfect fit, personally), but Columbus as a city does have a good amount to offer. Because the companies that are based here are pretty cool (very strong fashion base here...thank you, Les), there are a lot of more sophisticated, cultured people here. So, you have gallery hops, great museums, amazing shopping (both big brands and small, indie shops). Columbus has been called the most underrated gay friendly city, which I appreciate as an ally.
It sucks because there is too much out in the suburbs for my taste still, but, as a person who hates driving, I've still found a good amount to do downtown.

I think, within the state, OSU has a clear but only slight edge over Cincy. In larger markets, though (Chicago, NY), OSU has a much more recognizable name. It's still not easy to break into those markets from OSU, but it's nearly impossible to do so from Cincy.

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby mcubberly » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Chants wrote:
As for Columbus, I don't know about comparing it to San Fran...but it is a nice city with a lot to offer younger professionals. The arena district, german village, and brewery district are all good times. Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati are all generally more white collar while cleveland, toledo, kent, youngstown, akron etc. are more blue collar/industrial. This is why Ohio is usually a crucial swing state in elections because it is often evenly split between republicans in SW, central ohio vs. Democrats in northern/eastern Ohio.


Just wanted to chime in to ditto this sentiment. I moved here less than a year ago from NYC, and while it really can't compare to New York, I'd say it's the second best Midwestern city (after Chicago... so a distant second, but second nonetheless).
I'm also not a big party person, which makes me feel like OSU Law will be a bad fit (NYU undergrad was a perfect fit, personally), but Columbus as a city does have a good amount to offer. Because the companies that are based here are pretty cool (very strong fashion base here...thank you, Les), there are a lot of more sophisticated, cultured people here. So, you have gallery hops, great museums, amazing shopping (both big brands and small, indie shops). Columbus has been called the most underrated gay friendly city, which I appreciate as an ally.
It sucks because there is too much out in the suburbs for my taste still, but, as a person who hates driving, I've still found a good amount to do downtown.

I think, within the state, OSU has a clear but only slight edge over Cincy. In larger markets, though (Chicago, NY), OSU has a much more recognizable name. It's still not easy to break into those markets from OSU, but it's nearly impossible to do so from Cincy.

Lol we'll figure out nonpartying things to do. I mean, there's a lot to do (like you mentioned) :D. Columbus is great. Also, definitely an underrated gay friendly city (though some of my friends have had some problems in the suburbs).

User avatar
HarveyBirdman
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby HarveyBirdman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:With all due respect to Harvey Birdman, if you aren't the partying type, what undergrad institution would you enjoy?


Are you suggesting the only enjoyable part of college is partying, or that only those who like to party a lot enjoy college? That's stupid.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Postby buckilaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:48 pm

I know a former adjunct professor at Case; they are of the opinion that OSU>Case for job prospects, in Cleveland and Columbus.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest