Gaining residency in Arizona

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
waverider

Gaining residency in Arizona

Postby waverider » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:18 pm

I am not an Arizona resident but would like to attend law school (and practice law) in Arizona. I was wondering if there is anybody out there that has had any experience gaining residency after thier first year.

I have emailed U Az, asking if it is likely to gain residency after the first year. This is thier response.

I have attached an abbreviated list of the requirements related to your classification as an in-state student for tuition.

___ A. The student must be able to prove continuous physical presence in Arizona for at least 12 month prior to the semester of application.

___ B. As well as provide evidence of simultaneous acts of intent to make Arizona the student’s permanent home and abandonment of old domicile. Acts occurring less than one year before the last day of registration may not be relied upon as evidence of intent to establish domicile in Arizona.

___ C. Student must clearly establish their ability to meet their living and educational expenses from self-generated funds under the student’s control for the last two years and has not been claimed as a tax dependent by anyone for the last two years.

___ D. The student’s presence must be coupled with clear and convincing evidence of intent to establish a domicile in Arizona beyond the circumstance of being a student; overcoming the ABOR directed presumption that no emancipated person has established a domicile in Arizona while attending any educational institution in Arizona as a full-time student.

I am financially independent but I'm concerned that "D" would inhibit me from establishing residency. Is there anyway arround it?

Your responses are appreciated

yo!

Re: Gaining residency in Arizona

Postby yo! » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:59 am

If my wife worked full time, I think that would fulfill section D and quilify me for residency after the first year. Your way around it: marry a local :wink:

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:06 am

From what I've picked up, you have to work for a full year in AZ to establish residency before starting school.

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:27 pm

ec2xs wrote:From what I've picked up, you have to work for a full year in AZ to establish residency before starting school.

Which is why I would have to pay OOS tuition for they first year. Hopefully I can visit and ask someone about it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”