UVA vs. Georgetown vs. Texas in state

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
empirestateofmind

UVA vs. Georgetown vs. Texas in state

Postby empirestateofmind » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:30 pm

So I just got into Texas and waitlisted at Vanderbilt today, and with a 171/3.5 I'm feeling a little antsy about the rest of my cycle.

My question is, is it worth it to try to ED at UVA if my other options right now are Georgetown at sticker and Texas w/ in state tuition. My eventual is NYC.

Thanks for any opinions!

RVP11

Re: UVA vs. Georgetown vs. Texas in state

Postby RVP11 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 pm

UVA ED.

Keep in mind you could probably get in RD if you waited and applied next cycle.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:33 pm

No. I'd wait out your other apps. You have a decent shot at a few schools and possibly some merit aid.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:34 pm

If you expect your options right now to be your only other options come time to submit a seat deposit, then it's not even a question: you should ED at Virginia. It's the best school overall, and it's the best school for NYC. In-state tuition at Texas by no means makes up for the difference.

On the other hand, if you think you have a shot at Columbia or NYU, then you should wait to ED. They would be better for NYC, obviously.

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:38 pm

empirestateofmind wrote:So I just got into Texas and waitlisted at Vanderbilt today, and with a 171/3.5 I'm feeling a little antsy about the rest of my cycle.

My question is, is it worth it to try to ED at UVA if my other options right now are Georgetown at sticker and Texas w/ in state tuition. My eventual is NYC.

Thanks for any opinions!

Well, I have the exact same numbers and the 3 schools you mentioned are my top 3 schools, and I have been accepted to all of them (and waitlisted and Vandy, a little annoying, huh?). I made UVA know how much I wanted to go there, and I really think it paid off. I did not want to apply ED because of financial reasons, so I first sent a "Why UVA" with my application in November, and then I sent an e-mail stating my continued interest about a week and a half ago and asked if there was anything else that needed to be done. That was on a Thursday, and I was admitted Monday morning. So, moral of the story, if you would REALLY like to go there (and are afraid of making and ED commitment), TELL THEM.

GULC and UVA both place fairly well in NYC, as does Texas, but in this situation UVA would likely be the best choice for NYC, IMO.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”