Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby fortissimo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:43 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Eh.

Irvine, Davis, and San Diego (and Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz to a lesser extent) are solid schools. Better than 95% of the state schools out there.


Irvine admits something like 70+% of undergrad applicants. UCSD admits 60+% I think. UC grads are a dime a dozen in California. Practically everyone graduated from one because most of them are not hard to get into. These don't really have strong grad programs either.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby James Bond » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:46 pm

"Public Ivies" is one of the most moronic sentiments of the modern day.

First of all, "The Ivy League" is a sports conference.

Second, the concept of "Public Ivies" is just meant to make stupid/poor people feel better about themselves.

Why can't you just say you go to a good school? Why do you have to add "Ivy" to the end? Self gratification? Masturbation is more fulfilling.

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby galahad85 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:52 pm

fortissimo wrote:
toolshed wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
toolshed wrote: Blatant Anti-Michigan trolling.


? Anti-michigan state or anti-university of michigan? *Confused here* I think you read my post incorrectly. I am going to the University of Michigan Law School, so no reason why I'd troll against my own school. University of Michigan >>>> most of the UC schools. But I think Michigan STATE (or anything with a "state" in it) blows.

I think the only good UCs are Berkeley and UCLA, tbh. And I think the University of Michigan >> UCLA not just for law school, but also when you look at the entire institution and other grad programs. The other UCs blow and are pretty easy to get into.

Glad we clarified this?


I read your post as "the list included the UC schools and Michigan-Ann Arbor (though the UC schools are better)." I thought you were referring to UM (which I totally agree is better, both in UG and LS). I must have been confused.


No way...there are a ton of party-ish UC schools that admit over 50% of applicants. basically everything except Berkeley and UCLA.


UC San Diego actually has a lower admit rate than Michigan.

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby galahad85 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:56 pm

fortissimo wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Eh.

Irvine, Davis, and San Diego (and Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz to a lesser extent) are solid schools. Better than 95% of the state schools out there.


Irvine admits something like 70+% of undergrad applicants. UCSD admits 60+% I think. UC grads are a dime a dozen in California. Practically everyone graduated from one because most of them are not hard to get into. These don't really have strong grad programs either.


lol what?

Irvine - 48.7%
UCSD - 41.6%

For comparison, UM admits 42.1%

I'll agree that there's a large disparity between Berkeley/UCLA and the other UC's (after all, I'm a Berkeley alum myself), but you're really exaggerating here.

Irvine, UCSD, and Davis are quality schools.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby fortissimo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Last I read it was 60%+, but I read that when I applied to undergrad. Regardless, taking into account the entire institution and other grad programs, etc. Michigan >>>>> UCSD. UCSD doesn't have a lot of strong departments.

(fwiw, I didn't go to any of these for undergrad, just saying...)

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby fortissimo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:02 pm

delete
Last edited by fortissimo on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby RVP11 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:03 pm

fortissimo wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Eh.

Irvine, Davis, and San Diego (and Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz to a lesser extent) are solid schools. Better than 95% of the state schools out there.


Irvine admits something like 70+% of undergrad applicants. UCSD admits 60+% I think. UC grads are a dime a dozen in California. Practically everyone graduated from one because most of them are not hard to get into. These don't really have strong grad programs either.


Irvine, Davis, and San Diego all admit 40% to 50%.

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby galahad85 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:04 pm

fortissimo wrote:Regardless, taking into account the entire institution and other grad programs, etc. Michigan >>>>> UCSD.


I'm sure that's true, but I was never contesting that - just your earlier statement that the UCs "blow" and are "party-ish" schools that admit anyone.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby fortissimo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:06 pm

galahad85 wrote:
fortissimo wrote:Regardless, taking into account the entire institution and other grad programs, etc. Michigan >>>>> UCSD.


I'm sure that's true, but I was never contesting that - just your earlier statement that the UCs "blow" and are "party-ish" schools that admit anyone.


What are the matriculated students' stats though? Probably not that good. Admissions rate alone doesn't tell the entire story because it could just be a ton of 3.0s, low ACTs applying.

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby galahad85 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:20 pm

fortissimo wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
fortissimo wrote:Regardless, taking into account the entire institution and other grad programs, etc. Michigan >>>>> UCSD.


I'm sure that's true, but I was never contesting that - just your earlier statement that the UCs "blow" and are "party-ish" schools that admit anyone.


What are the matriculated students' stats though? Probably not that good. Admissions rate alone doesn't tell the entire story because it could just be a ton of 3.0s, low ACTs applying.


lol, seriously? You're pretty adamant about this.

If you want to believe that they're crappy schools, fine. I'm not going to go through the trouble of looking all this up.

User avatar
pennstatepride
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby pennstatepride » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:27 pm

The discussion about Ivy League schools is idiotic in the first place; like one of the above posters mentioned, it's a sports conference. I mean really, I think U-Chicago, MIT, Berkley, and Stanford are better schools than Cornell and Dartmouth.

ScaredWorkedBored
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:15 am

Michigan State being a "Public Ivy" is one of the more perposterous things I've heard in a while.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby James Bond » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:21 am

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:Michigan State being a "Public Ivy" is one of the more perposterous things I've heard in a while.


Isn't the saying in Michigan "If you can't get into college, go to State" or something to the effect?

pennstatepride wrote:I mean really, I think U-Chicago, MIT, Berkley, and Stanford are better schools than Cornell and Dartmouth


+1

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:27 am

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:Michigan State being a "Public Ivy" is one of the more perposterous things I've heard in a while.


Technically (according to Howard and Matthew Greene) so is the State University of New York at Binghamton. I think that's a little more preposterous, considering US News and World Report ranked Michigan State 71st (tied with Indiana Bloomington) for 71st amongst national universities. There's been a lot of hating on Michigan State on this thread, and quite frankly the rankings say otherwise: It is ranked the 86th best university in the fucking world by the Academic Ranking of World Universities, it has the highest ranked Supply Chain Management Program, its fucking Nuclear Physics program is ranked number 2 behind MIT for Christ's sake, #5 primary medical care, and the #9 Veterinarian School. The campus is really pretty, and find me a mid-west school with hotter girls. I'm sorry, but all you Michigan State haters are quite frankly full of shit.

timertimer61
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:31 am

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby timertimer61 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:30 am

scionb4 wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:Michigan State being a "Public Ivy" is one of the more perposterous things I've heard in a while.


Technically (according to Howard and Matthew Greene) so is the State University of New York at Binghamton. I think that's a little more preposterous, considering US News and World Report ranked Michigan State 71st (tied with Indiana Bloomington) for 71st amongst national universities. There's been a lot of hating on Michigan State on this thread, and quite frankly the rankings say otherwise: It is ranked the 86th best university in the fucking world by the Academic Ranking of World Universities, it has the highest ranked Supply Chain Management Program, its fucking Nuclear Physics program is ranked number 2 behind MIT for Christ's sake, #5 primary medical care, and the #9 Veterinarian School. The campus is really pretty, and find me a mid-west school with hotter girls. I'm sorry, but all you Michigan State haters are quite frankly full of shit.

do/did you go to michigan state?

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:37 am

timertimer61 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:Michigan State being a "Public Ivy" is one of the more perposterous things I've heard in a while.


Technically (according to Howard and Matthew Greene) so is the State University of New York at Binghamton. I think that's a little more preposterous, considering US News and World Report ranked Michigan State 71st (tied with Indiana Bloomington) for 71st amongst national universities. There's been a lot of hating on Michigan State on this thread, and quite frankly the rankings say otherwise: It is ranked the 86th best university in the fucking world by the Academic Ranking of World Universities, it has the highest ranked Supply Chain Management Program, its fucking Nuclear Physics program is ranked number 2 behind MIT for Christ's sake, #5 primary medical care, and the #9 Veterinarian School. The campus is really pretty, and find me a mid-west school with hotter girls. I'm sorry, but all you Michigan State haters are quite frankly full of shit.

do/did you go to michigan state?


No, I have no connection to the school whatsoever beyond having gone on a date with a girl who graduated from there. I just think it's bullshit that so many people are hating on the school just because it's in the shadow of UMich. It's still a Big Ten school. It's undergraduate admissions standards are fairly high according to Princeton review. And it has a lot of top ranked programs. How could anyone call it a crappy school just because there is another public school in the same state that is considered very elite.

belkin00
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby belkin00 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:57 am

scionb4 wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:Michigan State being a "Public Ivy" is one of the more perposterous things I've heard in a while.


Technically (according to Howard and Matthew Greene) so is the State University of New York at Binghamton. I think that's a little more preposterous, considering US News and World Report ranked Michigan State 71st (tied with Indiana Bloomington) for 71st amongst national universities. There's been a lot of hating on Michigan State on this thread, and quite frankly the rankings say otherwise: It is ranked the 86th best university in the fucking world by the Academic Ranking of World Universities, it has the highest ranked Supply Chain Management Program, its fucking Nuclear Physics program is ranked number 2 behind MIT for Christ's sake, #5 primary medical care, and the #9 Veterinarian School. The campus is really pretty, and find me a mid-west school with hotter girls. I'm sorry, but all you Michigan State haters are quite frankly full of shit.

do/did you go to michigan state?


No, I have no connection to the school whatsoever beyond having gone on a date with a girl who graduated from there. I just think it's bullshit that so many people are hating on the school just because it's in the shadow of UMich. It's still a Big Ten school. It's undergraduate admissions standards are fairly high according to Princeton review. And it has a lot of top ranked programs. How could anyone call it a crappy school just because there is another public school in the same state that is considered very elite.


Number 1 supply chain management program? are you serious? And those world academic rankings have a clear bias against smaller institutions - I believe Dartmouth is ranked 500 or so. Michigan state is the worst academic school in the big 10, and it is a VERY average state school. Almost every state school is ranked in various fields, ranging from respectable (poli sci) to downright idiotic (basketweaving) - look them up.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby los blancos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:03 am

Blindmelon wrote: I think NYU takes the cake for largest disparity.



This


User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby los blancos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am

belkin00 wrote: Michigan state is the worst academic school in the big 10, and it is a VERY average state school.


Eh, you forget that the Big Ten is usually considered to be the 2nd best academic conference in the country by quite some distance.

I think MSU is a fairly good state school.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:11 am

Judging schools by athletic conference = TTT.

User avatar
pennstatepride
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby pennstatepride » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:16 am

Desert Fox wrote:Judging schools by athletic conference = TTT.


It's an academic conference first, and an athletic conference second. And quite honestly, the caliber of schools in the Big Ten is 2nd best behind the Ivy League as a poster mentioned earlier.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:27 am

pennstatepride wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Judging schools by athletic conference = TTT.


It's an academic conference first, and an athletic conference second. And quite honestly, the caliber of schools in the Big Ten is 2nd best behind the Ivy League as a poster mentioned earlier.


I stand by my comment. I'm a fan of the Big Ten. I went to Illinois and will go to NU law. Michigan State still sucks.

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:47 am

No, I have no connection to the school whatsoever beyond having gone on a date with a girl who graduated from there. I just think it's bullshit that so many people are hating on the school just because it's in the shadow of UMich. It's still a Big Ten school. It's undergraduate admissions standards are fairly high according to Princeton review. And it has a lot of top ranked programs. How could anyone call it a crappy school just because there is another public school in the same state that is considered very elite.[/quote]

Number 1 supply chain management program? are you serious? And those world academic rankings have a clear bias against smaller institutions - I believe Dartmouth is ranked 500 or so. Michigan state is the worst academic school in the big 10, and it is a VERY average state school. Almost every state school is ranked in various fields, ranging from respectable (poli sci) to downright idiotic (basketweaving) - look them up.[/quote]

So nuclear physics, primary medical care, and Veterinarian medicine are just "various fields?" Are YOU serious? A medical school program is just "various?" If they were bragging about their #1 ranked basket weaving program, you'd have a point, but they're bragging about a #1 MBA specialization (which is a big deal, dipshit) a #2 advanced Ph.D. program, and a top 10 veterinary school.

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Postby ravens20 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:06 am

boilercat wrote:
Blindmelon wrote: I think NYU takes the cake for largest disparity.



This


No arguments there.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PrezRand, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest