Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fortissimo

Silver

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Post by fortissimo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:43 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote: Eh.

Irvine, Davis, and San Diego (and Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz to a lesser extent) are solid schools. Better than 95% of the state schools out there.
Irvine admits something like 70+% of undergrad applicants. UCSD admits 60+% I think. UC grads are a dime a dozen in California. Practically everyone graduated from one because most of them are not hard to get into. These don't really have strong grad programs either.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:46 pm

"Public Ivies" is one of the most moronic sentiments of the modern day.

First of all, "The Ivy League" is a sports conference.

Second, the concept of "Public Ivies" is just meant to make stupid/poor people feel better about themselves.

Why can't you just say you go to a good school? Why do you have to add "Ivy" to the end? Self gratification? Masturbation is more fulfilling.

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:52 pm

fortissimo wrote:
toolshed wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
toolshed wrote: Blatant Anti-Michigan trolling.
? Anti-michigan state or anti-university of michigan? *Confused here* I think you read my post incorrectly. I am going to the University of Michigan Law School, so no reason why I'd troll against my own school. University of Michigan >>>> most of the UC schools. But I think Michigan STATE (or anything with a "state" in it) blows.

I think the only good UCs are Berkeley and UCLA, tbh. And I think the University of Michigan >> UCLA not just for law school, but also when you look at the entire institution and other grad programs. The other UCs blow and are pretty easy to get into.

Glad we clarified this?
I read your post as "the list included the UC schools and Michigan-Ann Arbor (though the UC schools are better)." I thought you were referring to UM (which I totally agree is better, both in UG and LS). I must have been confused.
No way...there are a ton of party-ish UC schools that admit over 50% of applicants. basically everything except Berkeley and UCLA.
UC San Diego actually has a lower admit rate than Michigan.

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:56 pm

fortissimo wrote:

Irvine, Davis, and San Diego (and Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz to a lesser extent) are solid schools. Better than 95% of the state schools out there.
Irvine admits something like 70+% of undergrad applicants. UCSD admits 60+% I think. UC grads are a dime a dozen in California. Practically everyone graduated from one because most of them are not hard to get into. These don't really have strong grad programs either.
lol what?

Irvine - 48.7%
UCSD - 41.6%

For comparison, UM admits 42.1%

I'll agree that there's a large disparity between Berkeley/UCLA and the other UC's (after all, I'm a Berkeley alum myself), but you're really exaggerating here.

Irvine, UCSD, and Davis are quality schools.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Last I read it was 60%+, but I read that when I applied to undergrad. Regardless, taking into account the entire institution and other grad programs, etc. Michigan >>>>> UCSD. UCSD doesn't have a lot of strong departments.

(fwiw, I didn't go to any of these for undergrad, just saying...)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:02 pm

delete
Last edited by fortissimo on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:03 pm

fortissimo wrote:

Irvine, Davis, and San Diego all admit 40% to 50%.

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:04 pm

fortissimo wrote:Regardless, taking into account the entire institution and other grad programs, etc. Michigan >>>>> UCSD.
I'm sure that's true, but I was never contesting that - just your earlier statement that the UCs "blow" and are "party-ish" schools that admit anyone.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:06 pm

galahad85 wrote:
fortissimo wrote:Regardless, taking into account the entire institution and other grad programs, etc. Michigan >>>>> UCSD.
I'm sure that's true, but I was never contesting that - just your earlier statement that the UCs "blow" and are "party-ish" schools that admit anyone.
What are the matriculated students' stats though? Probably not that good. Admissions rate alone doesn't tell the entire story because it could just be a ton of 3.0s, low ACTs applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:20 pm

fortissimo wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
What are the matriculated students' stats though? Probably not that good. Admissions rate alone doesn't tell the entire story because it could just be a ton of 3.0s, low ACTs applying.
lol, seriously? You're pretty adamant about this.

If you want to believe that they're crappy schools, fine. I'm not going to go through the trouble of looking all this up.

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:27 pm

The discussion about Ivy League schools is idiotic in the first place; like one of the above posters mentioned, it's a sports conference. I mean really, I think U-Chicago, MIT, Berkley, and Stanford are better schools than Cornell and Dartmouth.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:15 am

Michigan State being a "Public Ivy" is one of the more perposterous things I've heard in a while.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:21 am

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:Michigan State being a "Public Ivy" is one of the more perposterous things I've heard in a while.
Isn't the saying in Michigan "If you can't get into college, go to State" or something to the effect?
pennstatepride wrote:I mean really, I think U-Chicago, MIT, Berkley, and Stanford are better schools than Cornell and Dartmouth
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:27 am

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:Michigan State being a "Public Ivy" is one of the more perposterous things I've heard in a while.
Technically (according to Howard and Matthew Greene) so is the State University of New York at Binghamton. I think that's a little more preposterous, considering US News and World Report ranked Michigan State 71st (tied with Indiana Bloomington) for 71st amongst national universities. There's been a lot of hating on Michigan State on this thread, and quite frankly the rankings say otherwise: It is ranked the 86th best university in the fucking world by the Academic Ranking of World Universities, it has the highest ranked Supply Chain Management Program, its fucking Nuclear Physics program is ranked number 2 behind MIT for Christ's sake, #5 primary medical care, and the #9 Veterinarian School. The campus is really pretty, and find me a mid-west school with hotter girls. I'm sorry, but all you Michigan State haters are quite frankly full of shit.

timertimer61

Bronze

Post by timertimer61 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:30 am

scionb4 wrote:
Technically (according to Howard and Matthew Greene) so is the State University of New York at Binghamton. I think that's a little more preposterous, considering US News and World Report ranked Michigan State 71st (tied with Indiana Bloomington) for 71st amongst national universities. There's been a lot of hating on Michigan State on this thread, and quite frankly the rankings say otherwise: It is ranked the 86th best university in the fucking world by the Academic Ranking of World Universities, it has the highest ranked Supply Chain Management Program, its fucking Nuclear Physics program is ranked number 2 behind MIT for Christ's sake, #5 primary medical care, and the #9 Veterinarian School. The campus is really pretty, and find me a mid-west school with hotter girls. I'm sorry, but all you Michigan State haters are quite frankly full of shit.
do/did you go to michigan state?

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:37 am

timertimer61 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
No, I have no connection to the school whatsoever beyond having gone on a date with a girl who graduated from there. I just think it's bullshit that so many people are hating on the school just because it's in the shadow of UMich. It's still a Big Ten school. It's undergraduate admissions standards are fairly high according to Princeton review. And it has a lot of top ranked programs. How could anyone call it a crappy school just because there is another public school in the same state that is considered very elite.

belkin00

New

Post by belkin00 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:57 am

scionb4 wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
No, I have no connection to the school whatsoever beyond having gone on a date with a girl who graduated from there. I just think it's bullshit that so many people are hating on the school just because it's in the shadow of UMich. It's still a Big Ten school. It's undergraduate admissions standards are fairly high according to Princeton review. And it has a lot of top ranked programs. How could anyone call it a crappy school just because there is another public school in the same state that is considered very elite.
Number 1 supply chain management program? are you serious? And those world academic rankings have a clear bias against smaller institutions - I believe Dartmouth is ranked 500 or so. Michigan state is the worst academic school in the big 10, and it is a VERY average state school. Almost every state school is ranked in various fields, ranging from respectable (poli sci) to downright idiotic (basketweaving) - look them up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:03 am

Blindmelon wrote: I think NYU takes the cake for largest disparity.

This

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am

belkin00 wrote: Michigan state is the worst academic school in the big 10, and it is a VERY average state school.
Eh, you forget that the Big Ten is usually considered to be the 2nd best academic conference in the country by quite some distance.

I think MSU is a fairly good state school.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:11 am

Judging schools by athletic conference = TTT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:16 am

Desert Fox wrote:Judging schools by athletic conference = TTT.
It's an academic conference first, and an athletic conference second. And quite honestly, the caliber of schools in the Big Ten is 2nd best behind the Ivy League as a poster mentioned earlier.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:27 am

pennstatepride wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Judging schools by athletic conference = TTT.
It's an academic conference first, and an athletic conference second. And quite honestly, the caliber of schools in the Big Ten is 2nd best behind the Ivy League as a poster mentioned earlier.
I stand by my comment. I'm a fan of the Big Ten. I went to Illinois and will go to NU law. Michigan State still sucks.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:47 am

No, I have no connection to the school whatsoever beyond having gone on a date with a girl who graduated from there. I just think it's bullshit that so many people are hating on the school just because it's in the shadow of UMich. It's still a Big Ten school. It's undergraduate admissions standards are fairly high according to Princeton review. And it has a lot of top ranked programs. How could anyone call it a crappy school just because there is another public school in the same state that is considered very elite.[/quote]

Number 1 supply chain management program? are you serious? And those world academic rankings have a clear bias against smaller institutions - I believe Dartmouth is ranked 500 or so. Michigan state is the worst academic school in the big 10, and it is a VERY average state school. Almost every state school is ranked in various fields, ranging from respectable (poli sci) to downright idiotic (basketweaving) - look them up.[/quote]

So nuclear physics, primary medical care, and Veterinarian medicine are just "various fields?" Are YOU serious? A medical school program is just "various?" If they were bragging about their #1 ranked basket weaving program, you'd have a point, but they're bragging about a #1 MBA specialization (which is a big deal, dipshit) a #2 advanced Ph.D. program, and a top 10 veterinary school.

ravens20

Bronze

Post by ravens20 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:06 am

boilercat wrote:
Blindmelon wrote: I think NYU takes the cake for largest disparity.

This
No arguments there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”