Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Re: Weight of the whole Institution, not just the Law School

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:14 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
I don't understand the two underlined, since they're inconsistent. If you are using the world rankings, Berkeley is way ahead of Michigan, but Wisconsin is even further ahead of USC. If you look at the ASU research, Wisconsin is similarly above USC and Berkeley and Michigan tie.

US News likes USC for being private, but their undergrad rankings are not at all credible with no public school in the top 20 and similar private bias throughout. Is anyone going to argue with a straight face that Duke, Rice, Emory and WUSTL are superior to Berkeley or that those schools + USC are superior to Michigan? :shock:
I agree with what you've said here, but I have a question about the bolded. I haven't read the thread, but are we still using the USNEWS world university rankings? Because those place Michigan at 19, and Berkeley at 39. Not making any judgment on whether I agree with that (ok, I will - Berkeley should be far higher than 39), but just asking for clarity since I read this and really would like to avoid reading the whole thread.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... p-200.html

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:17 am

I would just like to point out that as far as undergrad institutions are concerned ACC is the best all around.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:57 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
I don't understand the two underlined, since they're inconsistent. If you are using the world rankings, Berkeley is way ahead of Michigan, but Wisconsin is even further ahead of USC. If you look at the ASU research, Wisconsin is similarly above USC and Berkeley and Michigan tie.

US News likes USC for being private, but their undergrad rankings are not at all credible with no public school in the top 20 and similar private bias throughout. Is anyone going to argue with a straight face that Duke, Rice, Emory and WUSTL are superior to Berkeley or that those schools + USC are superior to Michigan? :shock:
I agree with what you've said here, but I have a question about the bolded. I haven't read the thread, but are we still using the USNEWS world university rankings? Because those place Michigan at 19, and Berkeley at 39. Not making any judgment on whether I agree with that (ok, I will - Berkeley should be far higher than 39), but just asking for clarity since I read this and really would like to avoid reading the whole thread.

I am not exactly sure how they figure out those rankings, but they had Georgetown ranked at 129. Ummmm.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:59 pm

adh07d wrote:I would just like to point out that as far as undergrad institutions are concerned ACC is the best all around.
They don't have the graduate schools and the funding that comes along with them to even be in this conversation.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:15 pm

adh07d wrote:I would just like to point out that as far as undergrad institutions are concerned ACC is the best all around.
Austin Community College? (-:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:18 pm

Patriot League>ACC>Ivy League>>NFC East>LPGA> Big East>CAA>Patriot League>ACC>Ivy League>>NFC East>LPGA>Big East>CAA>Patriot League...
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:14 pm

jne381 wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:

I am not exactly sure how they figure out those rankings, but they had Georgetown ranked at 129. Ummmm.

Georgetown is not that strong outside of its undergrad.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 am

fortissimo wrote:
jne381 wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:

They've got a strong basketball team.

jne381

Platinum

Post by jne381 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:24 am

fortissimo wrote:
jne381 wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:

As far a international relations go, they are the best in graduate programs. I do not know about the rest of the university though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:26 am

Gtown best in IR? What? They're good for IR, but I can't fathom what they are "best" in.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:57 am

jne381 wrote:
They don't have the graduate schools and the funding that comes along with them to even be in this conversation.
Right, so I suggest you read what I wrote again.

letmein2010

New

Post by letmein2010 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:40 pm

For what its worth, seeing as we seem to go by US News rankings for a lot of things, i think i read somewhere that the top 5 public schools in their rankings have been some combination/order of Berkeley, UVA, UNC, Michigan, and UCLA for a long time.

Expanding a top public schools list to 10-20 schools seems even more pointless than arguing about this in the first place. I mean when you try to factor in individial programs that a school is strong in, you'll probably find a #1 program in something almost everywhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:48 pm

Edit - whoops.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:22 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:

Different world rankings.

--LinkRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”