How well does bargaining for scholarship money work? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tinsleyc1

New

How well does bargaining for scholarship money work?

Post by tinsleyc1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:45 am

UIUC has offered me $40k a year without conditions, which is essentially a full-ride. I'm in at WUSTL and Emory as well, and I hope to get accepted at Notre Dame soon as well (as well as Cornell and Michigan, but I doubt they'll be too receptive to bargaining). No scholarship info from any of them yet. What are the chances I could use my $40k at UIUC as a bit of leverage to convince them to throw some more money my way? I'm not saying I don't want to go to UIUC, but the more schools I have money at, the more options I have.

If this is feasible, how would I go about broaching the subject?

woeisme

Silver

Re: How well does bargaining for scholarship money work?

Post by woeisme » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:06 am

tinsleyc1 wrote:UIUC has offered me $40k a year without conditions, which is essentially a full-ride. I'm in at WUSTL and Emory as well, and I hope to get accepted at Notre Dame soon as well (as well as Cornell and Michigan, but I doubt they'll be too receptive to bargaining). No scholarship info from any of them yet. What are the chances I could use my $40k at UIUC as a bit of leverage to convince them to throw some more money my way? I'm not saying I don't want to go to UIUC, but the more schools I have money at, the more options I have.

Just write an email to financial aide telling them your situation. explain that money is always a consideration and inquire into the possibility of getting more money given your other scholarships. They may ask for you to fax a copy of the scholarship letter or something then.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:22 am

tinsleyc1 wrote:UIUC has offered me $40k a year without conditions, which is essentially a full-ride. I'm in at WUSTL and Emory as well, and I hope to get accepted at Notre Dame soon as well (as well as Cornell and Michigan, but I doubt they'll be too receptive to bargaining). No scholarship info from any of them yet. What are the chances I could use my $40k at UIUC as a bit of leverage to convince them to throw some more money my way? I'm not saying I don't want to go to UIUC, but the more schools I have money at, the more options I have.

This is from UCLA's Admitted Students email:

"If you receive scholarship offers from other law schools, please let us know as we want to try to be as competitive as possible. If you have questions about your qualifications or where you stand in the process, feel free to contact us."

-HL

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:27 am

Use the search forum feature. There are TONS of threads devoted to this, including sample letters and how/when to send them.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 am

Depends on the school. I will tell you that Emory won't budge at all, so just take what you get from there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 am

tinsleyc1 wrote:I'm in at WUSTL and Emory as well, and I hope to get accepted at Notre Dame soon as well (as well as Cornell and Michigan, but I doubt they'll be too receptive to bargaining). No scholarship info from any of them yet. What are the chances I could use my $40k at UIUC as a bit of leverage to convince them to throw some more money my way? I'm not saying I don't want to go to UIUC, but the more schools I have money at, the more options I have.
It probably wouldn't work, as the schools you want $ from a higher ranked (or if they are not, they are still regarded better on a national level).

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:28 am

superflush wrote:
tinsleyc1 wrote:I'm in at WUSTL and Emory as well, and I hope to get accepted at Notre Dame soon as well (as well as Cornell and Michigan, but I doubt they'll be too receptive to bargaining). No scholarship info from any of them yet. What are the chances I could use my $40k at UIUC as a bit of leverage to convince them to throw some more money my way? I'm not saying I don't want to go to UIUC, but the more schools I have money at, the more options I have.
It probably wouldn't work, as the schools you want $ from a higher ranked (or if they are not, they are still regarded better on a national level).
I disagree. Also, there's absolutely nothing to lose in bargaining with them as long as you're not a blatant asshole. It doesn't take more than a few short e-mails so there's really no reason not to try.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:36 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:12 am

2009 Prospective wrote:I disagree. Also, there's absolutely nothing to lose in bargaining with them as long as you're not a blatant asshole. It doesn't take more than a few short e-mails so there's really no reason not to try.
There probably is nothing to lose. I still don't think that the UIUC money holds much bargaining power with the other schools.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:13 am

The emory staffer in their thread said they don't negotiate, so I wouldn't count on them to do to much, but it couldn't hurt to try still :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”