Tulane (20k) vs. St. John's (Full) (Long discussion...ahhhh)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PhantaManta

Tulane (20k) vs. St. John's (Full) (Long discussion...ahhhh)

Postby PhantaManta » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:07 pm

This is turning out to be a very difficult decision to make even though I have put a lot of time into researching and thinking about it.

1. I am not interested in whether or not YOU would go to either of these schools. If you want to reply 'neither' or anything that is as non-useful as that then I would rather you not reply. If you want to give a serious reply, then of course I would be very grateful.

2. The total estimated cost of Tulane would be $120,000 while the total cost of St. John's would be about $60,000 (from living expenses)

3. I am from New York but do not have a large desire to stay or work here, so relocating is not a negative. I think I would like New Orleans more than Queens, but have never been to New Orleans.

4. It is pretty hard to gauge the difference in career prospects between the two schools. Tulane has more interviews according to NALP. Graduating near the bottom of either class would be incredibly bad and I think I would drop out before that happened.

5. St. John's requires me to stay in the top 50% or lose my scholarship while Tulane requires me to maintain a 3.0, which is about the same class %. Tulane, though, would allow me to keep 50% of my scholarsihp for one year after dropping below 50%. Again this is... not really a large difference to me because I am not so sure I would keep attending either school if I fell below 50%. Maybe some people will read that and chastise me for going to law school with an assumption of being above 50%, but I don't think that is what I am doing. I think I will work hard enough to make the odds of me having a GPA >50% decent, and I am willing to accept the risk of losing year 1's tuition if I do not reach that goal.

6. In the NLJ250 composite.pdf thingy, Tulane had about 15% big law and St. John's had bout 10% big law before the recession. Tulane had more depth with more people in real legal jobs and less unemployed. I do not think I want Big law, but I suppose that could change once I actually start taking classes.

Okay well that is the important information that I can think about off the top of my head. My thinking about this is that although I like Tulane better for almost every factor, it is still twice the cost of St. John's, and it is not as though every dollar is the same. Once we get up to the cost of Tulane, things could get REALLY fucked up if law doesn't work out, where as I think St. John's debt could be managed in even a worst case scneario.

At the same time, I am aware of the IBR federal loan repayment, and the public interest repayment options. With that said, I do not think there is a lot of information here or elsewhere about peoples actual experiences with these two programs. If I had a reasonable guarantee that they would work for me, it makes Tulane's debt much more manageable in a government or public interest job. But at the same time, taking risks with that amount of debt can always backfire.

If I had to decide right now I think I would like to work as a prosecutor, public defender, child advocate, or something along these lines.

So what do you think?

Anonymous Loser

Re: Tulane (20k) vs. St. John's (Full) (Long discussion...ahhhh)

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:38 pm

PhantaManta wrote:
3. I am from New York but do not have a large desire to stay or work here, so relocating is not a negative. I think I would like New Orleans more than Queens, but have never been to New Orleans.

What makes you think you would like New Orleans more than Queens? Do you find yourself wishing that there were more potholes in Queens? Is there just not enough violent crime for your tastes in New York? Do you think 20th century public transportation is overrated? Are you impressed by inefficiency and waste? Do you find strained race-relations stimulating? Do you like being sweaty? Are you looking for a community that offers the amenities of a third-world county at a first-world price? If so, you'll love New Orleans.

New Orleans is like no other city in the country, I would strongly suggest that you at least visit before making any assumptions about whether or not you'll like it. It's fun for an overnight or weekend trip, but spending 3+ years there is a whole different story.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:42 pm

FWIW New Orleans is an amazing city. Audubon Park, Cafe Du Monde, Streetcars, Loyola and Tulane, the Gulf, Snug Harbor, etc. It's far more than the French Quarter. IMHO NO >>> Queens.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:

What makes you think you would like New Orleans more than Queens? Do you find yourself wishing that there were more potholes in Queens? Is there just not enough violent crime for your tastes in New York? Do you think 20th century public transportation is overrated? Are you impressed by inefficiency and waste? Do you find strained race-relations stimulating? Do you like being sweaty? Are you looking for a community that offers the amenities of a third-world county at a first-world price? If so, you'll love New Orleans.

New Orleans is like no other city in the country, I would strongly suggest that you at least visit before making any assumptions about whether or not you'll like it. It's fun for an overnight or weekend trip, but spending 3+ years there is a whole different story.

Well you make a fair point that I would at least need to visit NO before knowing for sure whether I would like it more than Queens. I only meant that from what I had read about, looking around the area via google street view, it looked like a nice place to live. I like the housing there better, from what I have seen on the street view + craigs list.

Street view is a good tool for when you can't fly to NO right now but I understand that I actually have to visit to get a better sense of the area.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:08 pm

PhantaManta wrote:This is turning out to be a very difficult decision to make even though I have put a lot of time into researching and thinking about it.

1. I am not interested in whether or not YOU would go to either of these schools. If you want to reply 'neither' or anything that is as non-useful as that then I would rather you not reply. If you want to give a serious reply, then of course I would be very grateful.

2. The total estimated cost of Tulane would be $120,000 while the total cost of St. John's would be about $60,000 (from living expenses)

4. It is pretty hard to gauge the difference in career prospects between the two schools. Tulane has more interviews according to NALP. Graduating near the bottom of either class would be incredibly bad and I think I would drop out before that happened.

5. St. John's requires me to stay in the top 50% or lose my scholarship while Tulane requires me to maintain a 3.0, which is about the same class %. Tulane, though, would allow me to keep 50% of my scholarsihp for one year after dropping below 50%. Again this is... not really a large difference to me because I am not so sure I would keep attending either school if I fell below 50%. Maybe some people will read that and chastise me for going to law school with an assumption of being above 50%, but I don't think that is what I am doing. I think I will work hard enough to make the odds of me having a GPA >50% decent, and I am willing to accept the risk of losing year 1's tuition if I do not reach that goal.

6. In the NLJ250 composite.pdf thingy, Tulane had about 15% big law and St. John's had bout 10% big law before the recession. Tulane had more depth with more people in real legal jobs and less unemployed. I do not think I want Big law, but I suppose that could change once I actually start taking classes.

Okay well that is the important information that I can think about off the top of my head. My thinking about this is that although I like Tulane better for almost every factor, it is still twice the cost of St. John's, and it is not as though every dollar is the same. Once we get up to the cost of Tulane, things could get REALLY fucked up if law doesn't work out, where as I think St. John's debt could be managed in even a worst case scneario.

At the same time, I am aware of the IBR federal loan repayment, and the public interest repayment options. With that said, I do not think there is a lot of information here or elsewhere about peoples actual experiences with these two programs. If I had a reasonable guarantee that they would work for me, it makes Tulane's debt much more manageable in a government or public interest job. But at the same time, taking risks with that amount of debt can always backfire.

If I had to decide right now I think I would like to work as a prosecutor, public defender, child advocate, or something along these lines.

So what do you think?

That PDF file is really old and outdated. It's almost essentially useless now because some schools big law percentages haven't changed, like Vanderbilt (42% in 2005 and in 2008 was at 44%), and others have changed a lot Boston College (32% in 2005 and in 2008 was at 46%). Tulane moved up a lot during that time (percentage wise to the early 30s).

But don't worry about that because the recession has impacted everyone.

It's just comes down to your personal preferences.

I'm not going to stay on to check your response to my post, but I would say if you finished at the very bottom of your class - you would compete against LSU and Loyola-NO graduates in Louisiana (hey some people would rather have a medium to large firm job period regardless of where it is - and New Orleans has quite a few firms that are outside the NLJ 250 and that are not firms with less than 50 lawyers).

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:02 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:This is turning out to be a very difficult decision to make even though I have put a lot of time into researching and thinking about it.

So what do you think?

That PDF file is really old and outdated. It's almost essentially useless now because some schools big law percentages haven't changed, like Vanderbilt (42% in 2005 and in 2008 was at 44%), and others have changed a lot Boston College (32% in 2005 and in 2008 was at 46%). Tulane moved up a lot during that time (percentage wise to the early 30s).

But don't worry about that because the recession has impacted everyone.

It's just comes down to your personal preferences.

I'm not going to stay on to check your response to my post, but I would say if you finished at the very bottom of your class - you would compete against LSU and Loyola-NO graduates in Louisiana (hey some people would rather have a medium to large firm job period regardless of where it is - and New Orleans has quite a few firms that are outside the NLJ 250 and that are not firms with less than 50 lawyers).

Thanks for the advice. If you read this again, I am just curious to know where you got those recent employment numbers... It is hard for me to find recent numbers.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:45 am

Tulane is a great school if you want to practice in New Orleans. St. Johns is NOT a great school if you want to practice in New York.

Visit New Orleans, of course, but if you like it there as much or more than NYC, absolutely go to Tulane.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:12 am

Halibut6 wrote:Tulane is a great school if you want to practice in New Orleans. St. Johns is NOT a great school if you want to practice in New York.

Visit New Orleans, of course, but if you like it there as much or more than NYC, absolutely go to Tulane.

If OP wants to work in NY, D.C., H-town or ATL (or even L.A. or S.F.) Tulane would be the superior school as well.

Nothing in OP's "OP" convinces me that St. John's should even be in the running, except for the money factor. But OP could lose his scholly at St. John's as easily as he could at Tulane, as he aptly pointed out. This is a no-brainer.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:11 am

For more detailed and completely objective information about Tulane Law, I suggest you read "The Pelican Brief."

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:06 pm

PDaddy wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:Tulane is a great school if you want to practice in New Orleans. St. Johns is NOT a great school if you want to practice in New York.

If OP wants to work in NY, D.C., H-town or ATL (or even L.A. or S.F.) Tulane would be the superior school as well.

Nothing in OP's "OP" convinces me that St. John's should even be in the running, except for the money factor. But OP could lose his scholly at St. John's as easily as he could at Tulane, as he aptly pointed out. This is a no-brainer.

What are your thoughts on handling the debt from Tulane since I probably won't be in big law?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:50 pm

PhantaManta wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

What are your thoughts on handling the debt from Tulane since I probably won't be in big law?

I am seriously considering Tulane, and here is something I calculated quickly based off:

69% of grads go into private practice
37% reported their salary
median = at the middle

At Tulane the median starting salary of those in private practice is 140k. Therefore:

(.69)(.37)(.5) = we know that at least 12.76% of Tulane grads make at or above 140k

Then we have to consider that a good % of those below the median may be making close to 140k.

Of those who are not reporting their salary, that is a harder group to judge. I do not think that they are all making like 60k a year, but it is impossible to say with certainty.

IMO, based off all of this I feel safe in assuming that if I graduate above the median at Tulane I could get a job making 120k + per year. If I go in w/ my schlly then I will prob end w/ 100k in debt. I think with a 120k job the debt could be paid off in four years. That is my calculation.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:57 pm

gwuorbust wrote:

Of those who are not reporting their salary, that is a harder group to judge. I do not think that they are all making like 60k a year, but it is impossible to say with certainty.

IMO, based off all of this I feel safe in assuming that if I graduate above the median at Tulane I could get a job making 120k + per year. If I go in w/ my schlly then I will prob end w/ 100k in debt. I think with a 120k job the debt could be paid off in four years. That is my calculation.

True, they are probably making less than 60k.

Also, your assumption that 50% of the class at Tulane is making at least $120,000 is pretty dumb.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:47 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:

True, they are probably making less than 60k.

Also, your assumption that 50% of the class at Tulane is making at least $120,000 is pretty dumb.

RC fail.

I said 50% of the 37% that reported their salary. That is where the 12% making above 140k came from.

We can only speculate on the non-reporting ppl.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:49 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

I am seriously considering Tulane, and here is something I calculated quickly based off:

median = at the middle

At Tulane the median starting salary of those in private practice is 140k. Therefore:

(.69)(.37)(.5) = we know that at least 12.76% of Tulane grads make at or above 140k

Then we have to consider that a good % of those below the median may be making close to 140k.

These salary figures are obviously old, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were fudged even back then. Do not expect the top 12% to make 140k and definitely don't think that a bunch of people over median are going to make 100k.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:51 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
RC fail.

I said 50% of the 37% that reported their salary. That is where the 12% making above 140k came from.

huh????????

You wrote:

IMO, based off all of this I feel safe in assuming that if I graduate above the median at Tulane I could get a job making 120k + per year.

I wrote:

your assumption that 50% of the class at Tulane is making at least $120,000 is pretty dumb.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:59 pm

gwuorbust wrote:

median = at the middle

Plus, keep in mind that the 37% reporting may have resulted from the dispersal of students from Katrina. Students did go to other schools and did participate in their OCI's. Some opted to stay at their new schools. their stats could have been attributed to the new schools. We would have to ask the career development office to be sure.

Halibut6 wrote:
These salary figures are obviously old, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were fudged even back then. Do not expect the top 12% to make 140k and definitely don't think that a bunch of people over median are going to make 100k.

It looks to me like the exact opposite might have occurred. The 37% reporting might be the most accurate you can get for that year from any school. What school would would "fudge 'upward' to 37%"? As for salary? Tulane grads have been getting paid high dollars for several years now. It is safe to assume that top Tulane grads get six figures :roll:

PhantaManta wrote:

I suggest a good PI job or transferring after 1L. Or you might get outside scholarships/fellowships and grants. If Tulane were as shaky employment wise as some are making it out to be, it would not be a top-50 school.
Last edited by PDaddy on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:05 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
RC fail.

huh????????

You wrote:

IMO, based off all of this I feel safe in assuming that if I graduate above the median at Tulane I could get a job making 120k + per year.

I wrote:

your assumption that 50% of the class at Tulane is making at least $120,000 is pretty dumb.

ok, well what I meant to imply is not that: "50% of the class at Tulane is making at least $120,000"

but that there are some high paying jobs to be had at Tulane. We already know about the 12% (though those numbers may be old, affected by Katrina, etc).

What I meant was that if I were to graduate above the median I think that I could make above 120k. I am pretty good at networking and I think with the right kind of work one of those jobs could be acquired.

I do not think the top 12% of jobs go to the top 12% of graduates. Some of the top grads will go into public interest, some will not be as good at networking, etc. Point it, there are more than just grades that goes into getting a job - though I will agree that the grades are a prerequisite.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:09 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
What I meant was that if I were to graduate above the median I think that I could make above 120k. I am pretty good at networking and I think with the right kind of work one of those jobs could be acquired.

Ok, well if you think simply above median at Tulane= 120K+ for you.......you're delusional.

slowmo2385

Postby slowmo2385 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:09 pm

I am in essentially the same position, even down to the prosecutor/public defender etc career interests. I have liked Tulane for a long time but the full ride is quite enticing. Let me know if you have any revelations about what to do here.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:15 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:

Ok, well if you think simply above median at Tulane= 120K+ for you.......you're delusional.

Top-40-50% is obviously a stretch, but at top 20-25%, BigLaw and $140K+ might be doable, especially if the economy improves. Like he said, not all top students go into BigLaw (a small number go into gov't, PI or business, or choose "alternative" professions), that leaves spots for people outside of the Top 15% or so. I could see top-25% making $100K+. That would be a fair bet. Mid-sized firms can pay in the six figures also.
Last edited by PDaddy on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:37 pm

Since this thread has turned to Tulane employment prospects, here is a document for where the class of 2010 spend their summers.

--LinkRemoved--

I hope this would put some people at ease about employment prospects.

True, this is only where they worked during their 2L summers - but everyone on TLS.com knows how employment works (so I don't have to explain that).

It's actually pretty impressive for a school outside the T14 or whatever else.

It's just something to keep in mind for people looking at Tulane and other programs for the fall.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:45 pm

IDK if this is the same for everyone, but that link asks me for a password. I can't view it. Can you get this to us some other way?

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 pm

a lot of ADAs around here went to st. johns if that's a career you might be interested in, the alumni network would be great

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:32 pm

pollaclc wrote:a lot of ADAs around here went to st. johns if that's a career you might be interested in, the alumni network would be great

Are you speaking from experience or did you look this up? I was trying to look around New York's DA offices but couldn't find a list of employees anywhere.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 am

yeah I can't open it either. Is that doc is elsewhere online?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”