Top15-30 2011 US News Predicitons Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Top15-30 2011 US News Predicitons

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:44 am

tallboone wrote:all i'm saying is that the number of elite law schools in the country with national reach is 14. it doesn't matter where us news ranks the schools in any particular year. thus, if ucla/texas/vandy make it into the "t-14", it won't matter to anyone except those who live and die by the us news rankings. if georgetown or cornell falls to 15 or 16, it will still be a more prestigious school than ucla/texas/vandy.
This would be true immediately, but I think that if UT jumped GULC and stayed there, for example, it would start to be seen as more prestigious over time and gradually become known as a more national-reach school than it is now.

Schools milk their reputation for all they can. There's no way they wouldn't start leveraging that once they had it.

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:48 am

tallboone wrote:
all i'm saying is that the number of elite law schools in the country with national reach is 14. it doesn't matter where us news ranks the schools in any particular year. thus, if ucla/texas/vandy make it into the "t-14", it won't matter to anyone except those who live and die by the us news rankings. if georgetown or cornell falls to 15 or 16, it will still be a more prestigious school than ucla/texas/vandy.
Amazingly static view of the world. I love it. You didn't study economics did you? (Please, don't respond to that question. It was hypothetical.)

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:54 am

tallboone wrote:
all i'm saying is that the number of elite law schools in the country with national reach is 14. it doesn't matter where us news ranks the schools in any particular year. thus, if ucla/texas/vandy make it into the "t-14", it won't matter to anyone except those who live and die by the us news rankings. if georgetown or cornell falls to 15 or 16, it will still be a more prestigious school than ucla/texas/vandy.
I dont think you can argue that the reputation as a T14 school and lay reputation aren't interconnected. The reason USWNR is as influential as it is in regards to law schools because its essentially the only game in town and to some degree fosters law school reputation/prestige. The same can't be said of business schools because there are several different prestigious business school rankings - USWNR law school rankings overshadows Cooley/superlawyers/princeton/whatever else law school ranking.

Why else would law schools tailor the way they function and operate to fit USWNR measurement criteria? I'm guessing it's not just for shits and giggles.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 am

tallboone wrote: all i'm saying is that the number of elite law schools in the country with national reach is 14. it doesn't matter where us news ranks the schools in any particular year. thus, if ucla/texas/vandy make it into the "t-14", it won't matter to anyone except those who live and die by the us news rankings. if georgetown or cornell falls to 15 or 16, it will still be a more prestigious school than ucla/texas/vandy.
who in their right mind would prefer Georgetown over Texas/Vandy/UCLA (well maybe UCLA)
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puffy

New

Post by Puffy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:59 am

Borhas wrote:
tallboone wrote: all i'm saying is that the number of elite law schools in the country with national reach is 14. it doesn't matter where us news ranks the schools in any particular year. thus, if ucla/texas/vandy make it into the "t-14", it won't matter to anyone except those who live and die by the us news rankings. if georgetown or cornell falls to 15 or 16, it will still be a more prestigious school than ucla/texas/vandy.
who in their right mind would prefer Georgetown over Texas/Vandy/UCLA (well maybe UCLA)
I would.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:00 pm

I cannot predict the upcoming USNews rankings for the top 15-30 law schools, but there may be 16 schools in the "top-14" if UCLA & Texas tie at #14 with Georgetown. This would create a great deal of excitement for those obsessed with or affected by law school rankings. Georgetown Univ. Law may be too big & too influential to be dropped below #14.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:08 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I cannot predict the upcoming USNews rankings for the top 15-30 law schools, but there may be 16 schools in the "top-14" if UCLA & Texas tie at #14 with Georgetown. This would create a great deal of excitement for those obsessed with or affected by law school rankings. Georgetown Univ. Law may be too big & too influential to be dropped below #14.
it's actually one point away from T14 banishment - unlike other TLS threads, this discussion on the status of the T14 is based in actual possibility.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Puffy wrote:
Borhas wrote:
I would.
hey now, nobody said you are in your right mind

[obviously I was exaggerating, but my point is that it's not a clear cut decision.]

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:57 pm

my main argument is that the prestige of the schools in the t-14 is not based on us news rankings and hasn't really changed significantly for the last 30-50 years. they are the "elite" schools primarily because they are some of the oldest schools in the nation and have had longer to produce good lawyers that go on to do prestigious legal work which adds to the prestige of the school. like many things in life, those who got their foot in the door first continue to dominate the game.

i think the only UCLA is the only school right now that really has a shot at joining this group because it has been around for such a short period of time and has done so well that as it continues to produce quality graduates that go on to do prestigious work (like in the judiciary) they will have a chance to join the elite players in 20-30 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:08 pm

tallboone wrote:my main argument is that the prestige of the schools in the t-14 is not based on us news rankings and hasn't really changed significantly for the last 30-50 years. they are the "elite" schools primarily because they are some of the oldest schools in the nation and have had longer to produce good lawyers that go on to do prestigious legal work which adds to the prestige of the school. like many things in life, those who got their foot in the door first continue to dominate the game.

i think the only UCLA is the only school right now that really has a shot at joining this group because it has been around for such a short period of time and has done so well that as it continues to produce quality graduates that go on to do prestigious work (like in the judiciary) they will have a chance to join the elite players in 20-30 years.
That would be true except WM is the first law school and its only at 28 or so, and BU is older than Harvard and look where that took them. Whoops.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:12 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:
tallboone wrote:
Amazingly static view of the world. I love it. You didn't study economics did you? (Please, don't respond to that question. It was hypothetical.)
I mean he has a point. Even if some other school cracks the T14, it'll be awhile before people fully recognize that. Berkeley has been a "T6" for awhile now, but most people still don't consider it on par with Chicago, which has even been ranked lower recently.

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:31 pm

rayiner wrote:
SHARK WEEK! wrote:
tallboone wrote:
I mean he has a point. Even if some other school cracks the T14, it'll be awhile before people fully recognize that. Berkeley has been a "T6" for awhile now, but most people still don't consider it on par with Chicago, which has even been ranked lower recently.
This is the word that bothers me. It's far too strong a claim. Obviously, if tallboone had phrased it the way you did (which is entirely different), I wouldn't have been a jackass about it. Cheers.

Interesting cases to study: NYU thirty years ago; Northwestern twenty years ago. USNWR rankings are certainly correlated with both lay and professional prestige, though obviously the correlation statistic varies between the two.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:58 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:
rayiner wrote:
SHARK WEEK! wrote:
tallboone wrote:
This is the word that bothers me. It's far too strong a claim. Obviously, if tallboone had phrased it the way you did (which is entirely different), I wouldn't have been a jackass about it. Cheers.

Interesting cases to study: NYU thirty years ago; Northwestern twenty years ago. USNWR rankings are certainly correlated with both lay and professional prestige, though obviously the correlation statistic varies between the two.
I think what tallboone means is that it won't have any immediate effect. There is a long lag-time for national reputation to catch up with ranking. NYU and Northwestern are good examples of this. NYU has been 4/5 for years now yet most people still consider Chicago to be somewhat better. NU has been 10th for a couple of years, and most people still consider Virginia/Michigan to be somewhat better.

On the subject of GULC trolling, looks like Desert Fox isn't the only one trying to make T13 happen: http://www.prelawhandbook.com/top_100_l ... _2007_2009

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:10 pm

rayiner wrote:On the subject of GULC trolling, looks like Desert Fox isn't the only one trying to make T13 happen: http://www.prelawhandbook.com/top_100_l ... _2007_2009
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
texaspecial88 wrote:What about UC Irvine?
Its unaccredited - not a real school yet.

In its first ranking, Irvine will rank between #35 and #30, may stay the same or slip just a bit as its classes get bigger, then will gradually rise to perennially compete with N.D, Emory, Minnesota, BU, BC, GWU, Illinois, Fordham, Iowa, W & L, and Indiana, for the #20 spot for years to come. It will never pass UCLA or Berkeley.

Except for to the extent that job opportunities are affected by rankings in the first place, schools ranlked between #20 and #45 are virtually indistinguishable from each other in terms of quality. Much of this comes from the relative qualities of the institutions as wholes, and the students drawn to the schools as a result. I wouldn't see a problem if GMU or Arizona was #30 and Wisconsin was #25, while Fordham was #35. That's why the USNWR rankings are so stupid. Though many will disagree, Law School 100 seems to be the most rational ranking.
faith2202 wrote:
jocelyne wrote:anyone know when the rankings will come out?
+1
Based on the timing(s) of the yearly rankings issue(s), I say USNWR must be in bed w/LSAC. Think about it. People don't know what the rankings will look like until after having applied. B/C they don't know, and b/c the rankings are so influential to job prospects and prestige, people apply to more schools, leading to more $12 reports and more summer and fall LSAT's for WL'd and denied folks. It also leads more people to forego their initial applicant years - despite gaining admission to schools - and apply during "second cycles". That begets even more reports (on the doubleback) for LSAC. And we all know what happens to USNWR rankings issues: they sell through the roof. I cannot wait until Consumer Reports and Business Week start publishing ranings, so this nonsense can stop.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:38 pm

which #'s does USNWR use for ranking purposes... the # for this year's class, or last year's class?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Borhas wrote:which #'s does USNWR use for ranking purposes... the # for this year's class, or last year's class?
Last year's, I believe. Could be wrong...might be two years out. Or is that strictly employment stats?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:08 am

I don't think I've ever made an actual prediction before, but at least wrt my school I am going to go on the record and say that Vanderbilt is moving up this year. Whether the number is 14, 15, or 16 is the guess. We improved in just about every non-reputation category on the USNews methodology, and I actually think academic/judicial reputation may be rising as well. Feeder clerkship numbers this year are actually better than Northwestern's with 27 Art III clerkships out of a class size of 195, including our first chief justice clerkship on SCOTUS. Admissions standards are higher than Cornell's on the input variables, as is NLJ250 placement on the output. Bar passage rate was corrected after a fluke year where it dropped to 80% in NY, so the penalty we took in the rankings last year will go away. Acceptance rate continued to drop, with another big boost in apps from the previous year. Expenditures stayed the same or improved over the previous year.

The biggest thing I think we've got going for us is that our faculty scholarship/rep/news mentions have gone way up, enough I expect to boost the USNews score a notch. We've got Mikos hot on both sides of the marijuana debate, Swain getting constant coverage on Obama as a black conservative Republican woman, Vandenbergh as a top-5 enviro prof turning down offers at Chicago and UVA, Newton's quotes on Guantanamo and the ICC, Slobogin's transition over from UF, Schlunk's ridiculously popular "Mamas Dont Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be ... Lawyers" article widely reported in the WSJ/NYT/NLJ, a new dean who's highly respected among academics, and a host of other mainstream appearances in the past year. This team is knocking it out of the park, and even though I've got reservations about how much we want faculty to focus on writing instead of teaching and getting us jobs, they deserve credit for how productive they've been.

It takes a lot to unseat GULC and I don't think all of the above is necessarily enough to do that, but it should be enough to leapfrog once again with UCLA and/or UT. And of course, there's always a little hope we get enough recognition to stir things up a bit.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:15 pm

observationalist wrote:I don't think I've ever made an actual prediction before, but at least wrt my school I am going to go on the record and say that Vanderbilt is moving up this year. Whether the number is 14, 15, or 16 is the guess. We improved in just about every non-reputation category on the USNews methodology, and I actually think academic/judicial reputation may be rising as well. Feeder clerkship numbers this year are actually better than Northwestern's with 27 Art III clerkships out of a class size of 195, including our first chief justice clerkship on SCOTUS. Admissions standards are higher than Cornell's on the input variables, as is NLJ250 placement on the output. Bar passage rate was corrected after a fluke year where it dropped to 80% in NY, so the penalty we took in the rankings last year will go away. Acceptance rate continued to drop, with another big boost in apps from the previous year. Expenditures stayed the same or improved over the previous year.

The biggest thing I think we've got going for us is that our faculty scholarship/rep/news mentions have gone way up, enough I expect to boost the USNews score a notch. We've got Mikos hot on both sides of the marijuana debate, Swain getting constant coverage on Obama as a black conservative Republican woman, Vandenbergh as a top-5 enviro prof turning down offers at Chicago and UVA, Newton's quotes on Guantanamo and the ICC, Slobogin's transition over from UF, Schlunk's ridiculously popular "Mamas Dont Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be ... Lawyers" article widely reported in the WSJ/NYT/NLJ, a new dean who's highly respected among academics, and a host of other mainstream appearances in the past year. This team is knocking it out of the park, and even though I've got reservations about how much we want faculty to focus on writing instead of teaching and getting us jobs, they deserve credit for how productive they've been.

It takes a lot to unseat GULC and I don't think all of the above is necessarily enough to do that, but it should be enough to leapfrog once again with UCLA and/or UT. And of course, there's always a little hope we get enough recognition to stir things up a bit.
No.

US News Raw scores:

GULC: 75
UCLA: 74
UT: 74

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:44 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
observationalist wrote:I don't think I've ever made an actual prediction before, but at least wrt my school I am going to go on the record and say that Vanderbilt is moving up this year. Whether the number is 14, 15, or 16 is the guess. We improved in just about every non-reputation category on the USNews methodology, and I actually think academic/judicial reputation may be rising as well. Feeder clerkship numbers this year are actually better than Northwestern's with 27 Art III clerkships out of a class size of 195, including our first chief justice clerkship on SCOTUS. Admissions standards are higher than Cornell's on the input variables, as is NLJ250 placement on the output. Bar passage rate was corrected after a fluke year where it dropped to 80% in NY, so the penalty we took in the rankings last year will go away. Acceptance rate continued to drop, with another big boost in apps from the previous year. Expenditures stayed the same or improved over the previous year.

No.

US News Raw scores:

GULC: 75 (74)
UCLA: 74 (71)
UT: 74 (71)
Vandy: 73 (72)
I agree that on its face a one-point difference seems negligible, but unless the reputation slices of the pie change UCLA or UT would need to improve in almost every other category while GULC stayed the same in order to get a tying score. Last year just about every law school in the Top 20 gained at least a point. If that happens again then both schools would need to go up by 2 points (and Vanderbilt would need to go up by 3). Trust me when I say these schools are heavily invested in monitoring each other and figuring out where they're going to stack up each year. Deans are fired and professors leave when a school's USNews rank drops, since it gets that much harder to recruit prospectives and employers.

It's not insurmountable, but reputations are largely static and one of the three 15-17 schools needs to see that part improve before we'll see anything significant. What's more likely IMO is that the 3-point gap between Cornell and GULC narrows, but that's for other reasons.

We can see soon enough whether or not I have any idea what I'm talking about.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:54 pm

observationalist wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote: No.

US News Raw scores:

GULC: 75 (74)
UCLA: 74 (71)
UT: 74 (71)
Vandy: 73 (72)
I agree that on its face a one-point difference seems negligible, but unless the reputation slices of the pie change UCLA or UT would need to improve in almost every other category while GULC stayed the same in order to get a tying score. Last year just about every law school in the Top 20 gained at least a point. If that happens again then both schools would need to go up by 2 points (and Vanderbilt would need to go up by 3). Trust me when I say these schools are heavily invested in monitoring each other and figuring out where they're going to stack up each year. Deans are fired and professors leave when a school's USNews rank drops, since it gets that much harder to recruit prospectives and employers.

It's not insurmountable, but reputations are largely static and one of the three 15-17 schools needs to see that part improve before we'll see anything significant. What's more likely IMO is that the 3-point gap between Cornell and GULC narrows, but that's for other reasons.

We can see soon enough whether or not I have any idea what I'm talking about.
I don't completely disagree with you, but I don't think your logic holds. I mean, outside of unseen variations in methodology (eg. accounting for PT programs) most law schools have known about the USWNR ranking criteria since they began pumping out JDs, and law schools shift positions and tiers all the time - even within the T14.

Of course, breaking that T14 barrier is a unique shift, but if GULC isn't able to tamper down it's PT program statistics and Vandy/TX/UCLA are able to up the ante, then one of the three just might tie or break through the T14 barrier within the next five years, if not sooner.

Observationalist: I think it's important to point out that most of the rising schools (TX, Vandy, UCLA, Emory, USC...) are all located in the South or West, where population growth is expanding. So regardless of whether our respective schools (Vandy & UCLA) break the T14 barrier I think is not as important as the relative worth of our law degrees from these schools in the foreseeable future.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:44 pm

jay115 wrote: I don't completely disagree with you, but I don't think your logic holds. I mean, outside of unseen variations in methodology (eg. accounting for PT programs) most law schools have known about the USWNR ranking criteria since they began pumping out JDs, and law schools shift positions and tiers all the time - even within the T14.

Of course, breaking that T14 barrier is a unique shift, but if GULC isn't able to tamper down it's PT program statistics and Vandy/TX/UCLA are able to up the ante, then one of the three just might tie or break through the T14 barrier within the next five years, if not sooner.

Observationalist: I think it's important to point out that most of the rising schools (TX, Vandy, UCLA, Emory, USC...) are all located in the South or West, where population growth is expanding. So regardless of whether our respective schools (Vandy & UCLA) break the T14 barrier I think is not as important as the relative worth of our law degrees from these schools in the foreseeable future.
Interesting take. I agree they all know about the USNews game and play it as well as they can, but the three schools just outside the T14 probably allocate more of their budget on recruiting than the schools in the lower T14 to make up for the feeding aspect that comes with national reputation. This means more scholarships, more personal recruitment (like our interview program), and more outreach to regions where we don't have strong historical placement like the PNW. Given all of that, I think it's reasonable to assume that schools like UT/UCLA/Vandy are paying closer attention to the numbers than schools like Cornell and GULC which rely on reputation. Whether the greater attention later translates into improved job prospects is an important question, but at least for us we've been seeing tangible benefits from being a smaller, more geographically diverse class than virtually all of our peer programs.

I'm confused about your last paragraph though... are you saying it's more important how our reputations in our relative locales change, rather than national reps reflected in the USNews rank? If that's where your going I want to point out that Vandy's placement isn't primarily southern, so we're actually more affected by hiring changes in other regions than UCLA or UT. More than half the class find work in other regions, primarily in the midatlantic and midwest. Our NLJ250 stats last year were higher than many of the NY/DC feeder schools, and our Art III clerkship placement this year has got to be putting us in the top 6 or 7 overall as a percentage of the class. Vandy actually restricts the number of students it lets in from the south to keep us more geographically diverse and help us compete better in the shrinking job market, which I'm sure has every much to do with improving reputation scores on USNews as it does with making our law degrees more valuable down the road.

And five years from now, who knows what will happen. I just don't think this is the year to see an upset with GULC. Class of '09 stats were still strong at most schools, even though NLJ250 placement dropped virtually everywhere. The Class of 2010 data will be the first time we actually see what sort of effect ITE is having on the larger programs and those that focus primarily on a single market. On that note I guess I'd predict more of a shakeup next year, since % employed for many schools will be way off the normally uniform 95-100% among top programs.

K done rambling, turning attention to other things until the rankings come out and we can revisit how much of a shameless troll I am.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:21 pm

ITT: people waste their time and no knowledge is gained.

mommamia

New

Post by mommamia » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:38 pm

I predict IU-Bloomington will rise. They have paid dearly to encourage students to go there. Full rides, well into $100,000 per student. Hard to resist I am sure.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:23 pm

mommamia wrote:I predict IU-Bloomington will rise. They have paid dearly to encourage students to go there. Full rides, well into $100,000 per student. Hard to resist I am sure.
You couldn't pay me 100k, hell, even 200k or 250k to move to Indiana for what could very well be a large chunk of my career and life. Believe me, they tried and it didn't work.

I think there's a sizable amount of people who feel similarly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”