HELP me choose which law school!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

HELP me choose which law school!!

University of Colorado
63%
University of Denver
6%
University of San Diego
31%

Total votes: 49

ashleighlauren

New

HELP me choose which law school!!

Post by ashleighlauren » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:28 pm

So I am leaning towards either of the Colorado options for school, but at the same time I don't want to rule out San Diego completely. Any ideas/opinions that could help me with this process are greatly appreciated!

I understand that CU is the best school out of the choices, but I also would like to go part-time so that I can work and minimize debt... but CU is very tempting. I have no scholarship money as of yet to any of the mentioned schools.

Thank you!

--Ash

deadpanic

Silver

Re: HELP me choose which law school!!

Post by deadpanic » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Where do you want to end up after graduation?

If it is San Diego, go to USD.
If it is anywhere in the state of CO, choose Boulder.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:30 pm

ashleighlauren wrote:So I am leaning towards either of the Colorado options for school, but at the same time I don't want to rule out San Diego completely. Any ideas/opinions that could help me with this process are greatly appreciated!

I understand that CU is the best school out of the choices, but I also would like to go part-time so that I can work and minimize debt... but CU is very tempting. I have no scholarship money as of yet to any of the mentioned schools.

Thank you!

--Ash
While this is very true, also consider that if you go part time you have an opportunity cost of the last year. That is, from an economic perspective you are giving up whatever it is that you expect to earn your first year out of LS.

ashleighlauren

New

Post by ashleighlauren » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Those are very good points. While I love SD, CO is still my home. the cost of living in SD also worries me. . .

And from an economic standpoint, that is also a good way to look at it, thank you!

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:37 pm

If you don't mind the prospect of living in CO for the rest of your live, then Boulder seems like a great option. I get the impression that it's similar to UF for Florida.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:59 am

deadpanic wrote:If it is San Diego, go to USD.
If it is anywhere in the state of CO, choose Boulder.
TITCR

ashleighlauren

New

Post by ashleighlauren » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:35 pm

so NO ONE thinks DU is a good idea?!! I'm surprised. DU has one of the best PT programs in the country. I guess that means something if it's not getting any votes.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:46 pm

ashleighlauren wrote:so NO ONE thinks DU is a good idea?!! I'm surprised. DU has one of the best PT programs in the country. I guess that means something if it's not getting any votes.
Well, that doesn't really matter, does it.
Denver is not as good as Boulder, so nobody would recommend Denver over Boulder.

rekopter

New

Post by rekopter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:05 pm

Do you want to practice in California? If so --> USD.

If no scholarship money, CU will be a lot cheaper than DU --> CU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:12 pm

CU, USD has tough competition in SD.

ashleighlauren

New

Post by ashleighlauren » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:05 pm

superflush wrote:
ashleighlauren wrote:so NO ONE thinks DU is a good idea?!! I'm surprised. DU has one of the best PT programs in the country. I guess that means something if it's not getting any votes.
Well, that doesn't really matter, does it.
Denver is not as good as Boulder, so nobody would recommend Denver over Boulder.
That's understandable, but CU does not have a PT program. While DU is more expensive, working FT while going to school could allow me to save more money.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:11 pm

Miss Lauren, in my opinion you have a very easy choice here. The other 2 schools do not even COMPARE to U. Colorado. Add to the fact that you'll have in-state tuition, I mean, if I could have a problem in my life right now, this would be it. Who cares if their football team's a joke?

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:30 pm

fortissimo wrote:CU, USD has tough competition in SD.
Not really, USD grads kind of dominate the market because the only other schools in the area are unranked. So, it seems like they are both good options in their respective markets...you just have to figure out which market you want to work in. That's easier said than done though. Good luck deciding and congrats on your acceptances!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:31 am

forty-two wrote:
fortissimo wrote:CU, USD has tough competition in SD.
Not really, USD grads kind of dominate the market because the only other schools in the area are unranked. So, it seems like they are both good options in their respective markets...you just have to figure out which market you want to work in. That's easier said than done though. Good luck deciding and congrats on your acceptances!
I wouldn't call that domination. Any UCLA or USC grad can walk right in front of any USD grad.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 am

ashleighlauren wrote:
superflush wrote:Well, that doesn't really matter, does it.
That's understandable, but CU does not have a PT program. While DU is more expensive, working FT while going to school could allow me to save more money.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Are you coming straight out of undergrad? If so, I'd say its not a good idea to work and go to school PT. It would only make sense to go part time if you already had a job lined up and it was a legal job or related. If your main reason for wanting to go PT is to save money, I don't think that makes sense at all.
Plus, $26,000 for 4 years at Denver would cost more than $25,431 for 3 years at Boulder. And you'd get a much better degree from Boulder.

ashleighlauren

New

Post by ashleighlauren » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:14 am

Quote:

Are you coming straight out of undergrad? If so, I'd say its not a good idea to work and go to school PT. It would only make sense to go part time if you already had a job lined up and it was a legal job or related. If your main reason for wanting to go PT is to save money, I don't think that makes sense at all.
Plus, $26,000 for 4 years at Denver would cost more than $25,431 for 3 years at Boulder. And you'd get a much better degree from Boulder.

I am coming straight out of undergrad, which is why i originally wanted to work and go to school-so I could gain more experience. Now looking at the numbers differently, working during ls doesn't help me out all that much. I am working PT at a law firm now in the litigation dept so I am gaining some legal background, but the job ends in May since I'll be leaving AZ.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:06 am

ashleighlauren wrote:I am working PT at a law firm now in the litigation dept so I am gaining some legal background, but the job ends in May since I'll be leaving AZ.
Okay. Yea, I think it really only makes sense if you had a legal gig or related gig to work at. But, regardless, if I wanted to be in Colorado, I'd still go to Boulder.

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:36 am

OK, purely from a CA perspective, it might be nice to have a change of scene at SD, but if you love Colorado and really want to make it your home base and practice there, I'd say Boulder.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”