is Indiana University bloomington really a T25? will it stay

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timertimer61

is Indiana University bloomington really a T25? will it stay

Postby timertimer61 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:59 am

what are you're opinions?

JayTal

Re: is Indiana University bloomington really a T25? will it stay

Postby JayTal » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:02 pm

IMO - most over-ratted school in the T30.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:04 pm

probably won't stay. Has to do with some recent campus growth. A good school anyway, but probably won't stay in T-25.

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:12 pm

sharthree wrote:probably won't stay. Has to do with some recent campus growth. A good school anyway, but probably won't stay in T-25.

Awwww c'mon man, dont say that...this is where I will probably end up. Nertz!

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:18 pm

I don't see why it is any less of one as Minnesota. I mean, both have pretty similar OCI experiences and employment prospects. While Minnesota is a quasi-private/public school, Maurer doesn't seem to be that far behind. Especially considering the Vault employee reviews for 2010 which ranked Maurer in the top 14.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:51 pm

If Iowa, Minnesota and Illinois can hover around the T20 or T25 then I don't see why not.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Doesn't Minn place surprisingly well onto academia? I thought I read that somewhere. Also, minn seems to do pretty well nationally from what I've seen and read. I think it's a slight notch above the other listed schools.

As for IU-B, it seems to be sort of an enigma. Stats show it was a bit underrated at the mid-30's but the anecdotes from students graduating from there ITE suggest that t-25 is rather high.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:13 pm

They are purchasing their T-25 ranking.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Doesn't Minn place surprisingly well onto academia? I thought I read that somewhere. Also, minn seems to do pretty well nationally from what I've seen and read. I think it's a slight notch above the other listed schools.

As for IU-B, it seems to be sort of an enigma. Stats show it was a bit underrated at the mid-30's but the anecdotes from students graduating from there ITE suggest that t-25 is rather high.

That's not really an enigma- thats about the number 30.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:21 pm

I hope it falls.

It annoys me so many Big Ten schools are more highly ranked than Ohio State.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Interesting, I just read an IUB transfer topic:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=105853
Last edited by PDaddy on Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:25 pm

Veritas wrote:They are purchasing their T-25 ranking.

If this is true then I don't see why they can't continue to purchase it. See also: WUSTL.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:

What are you talking about? This makes no sense at all. Are you basing the ranking entirely on job prospects or something?
Last edited by Bankhead on Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:27 pm

IUB > GW/Fordham/BC? Uhh..... for US News to have any legitimacy at all (which it doesn't), that needs to be corrected.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Blindmelon wrote:IUB > GW/Fordham/BC? Uhh..... for US News to have any legitimacy at all (which it doesn't), that needs to be corrected.

On what grounds? Certainly if you do a cost benefit analysis, IUB usually comes out ahead ITE.

Based on the faculty? I don't think you have legitimate grounds to say that the faculty of the other schools are better.

Biglaw percentage? We haven't had stats since the '08 grads.

Come on now.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Bankhead wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:IUB > GW/Fordham/BC? Uhh..... for US News to have any legitimacy at all (which it doesn't), that needs to be corrected.

On what grounds? Certainly if you do a cost benefit analysis, IUB usually comes out ahead ITE.

Based on the faculty? I don't think you have legitimate grounds to say that the faculty of the other schools are better.

Come on now.

Okay. Now you're just trolling.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Bankhead wrote:

Come on now.

Oh, I'm the one trolling? :lol:

Most students would spend triple the money to attend Fordham/GW/etc. It isn't like I wasn't accepted to some of these schools as well. By your rationale, Fordham etc. should be ahead of WUSTL, Emory, Minnesota, too. I'm just not convinced that whatever formula you are using is superior to the one USNWR uses.

And honestly, I think they are all pretty mediocre.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:45 pm

1 year change in rankings doesn't mean everything is different now and employers are going to start to think IUB is better. I'm glad you have school pride, but just look at placement data, and it becomes really clear. Also, IUB isn't always cheaper than those schools. Financial aid is a big factor.

canceled02062010

Postby canceled02062010 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:52 pm

Bankhead wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Bankhead wrote:

Come on now.

Oh, I'm the one trolling? :lol:

Most students would spend triple the money to attend Fordham/GW/etc. It isn't like I wasn't accepted to some of these schools as well. By your rationale, Fordham etc. should be ahead of WUSTL, Emory, Minnesota, too. I'm just not convinced that whatever formula you are using is superior to the one USNWR uses.

And honestly, I think they are all pretty mediocre.

Asking if IUB really deserves to be where it is, is similar to asking: Did GW deserve to plummet because USNEWS decided they would shake things up?

No.

It makes sense from a business perspective to shake things up and keep people interested to the rankings.

IUB did not get where it is because it is a good school. It slid up as others were artificially pushed down.

This is not a bashing of the school. I'm sure its a good school and dominates its location, but you cannot seriously think it shot up because it deserved it. It was a shift based on questionable new ranking criteria.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:52 pm

Blindmelon wrote:1 year change in rankings doesn't mean everything is different now and employers are going to start to think IUB is better. I'm glad you have school pride, but just look at placement data, and it becomes really clear. Also, IUB isn't always cheaper than those schools. Financial aid is a big factor.

I don't really have all that much school pride, dude. In fact I'm trying to transfer.

Anyway, your logic is pretty circular... "IU can't be a T25 because the job prospects don't match up. The job prospects dont' match up because IU just became a T25..."

You just act like there is this huge disparity between IU and the rest of these schools. Costs equal and I wouldn't choose IU over BC/etc. They are all pretty much the same though. Do well and you're ok. Get below the top 20% mark and you're in trouble. Pick your poison and hope for the best. And hopefully with some decent financial aid.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Hopewell:

I'm just saying once you get below the T17 or so they are all pretty much the same. Therefore it doesn't make sense to obsess over this shit. Go where the money is good.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:55 pm

According to the majority in my own "Where should I go" poll, most people on TLS seemed to think IUB with a full ride was the best deal. Seeing as their LSAT numbers are so much lower than their newfound peers, I would imagine increasing the numerical quality of the students would go a long way towards cementing this rank. But who really cares about USNWR ITE?

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:56 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:According to the majority in my own "Where should I go" poll, most people on TLS seemed to think IUB with a full ride was the best deal. Seeing as their LSAT numbers are so much lower than their newfound peers, I would imagine increasing the numerical quality of the students would go a long way towards cementing this rank. But who really cares about USNWR ITE?

Right.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Bankhead wrote:Hopewell:

I'm just saying once you get below the T17 or so they are all pretty much the same. Therefore it doesn't make sense to obsess over this shit. Go where the money is good.

I 100% agree. Brooklyn/NYLS/Fordham are all the same. As are Suffolk/New England/BC. Also, nowadays Thomas Jefferson = Phoenix = USC.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:59 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Bankhead wrote:Hopewell:

I 100% agree. Brooklyn/NYLS/Fordham are all the same. As are Suffolk/New England/BC. Also, nowadays Thomas Jefferson = Phoenix = USC.

You know clear well that the bounds of our conversation is limited to the Tier 1.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”