cardozo Entertainment Law dont want Big Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nbxfashion

cardozo Entertainment Law dont want Big Law

Postby nbxfashion » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:27 pm

Hello I wanted peoples opinions on what schools on the east coast are the best for entertainment law. My situation is different. I own a retail store and successful internet business, so I am independently wealthy. My businesses are run my two very good managers so its not like I work crazy hours. I have a passion for the music business and want to be on the contract/law side of it. I have already taken the lsat 171 score, and graduated last june with a 3.2 gpa from a public ny state school. I am also a urm. I want the advantages of having a law degree, but do not want to work in big law as I dont need the money. I want to go to law school in new york cause I have to be here. What would be the best options for me here, and specifically would an option like cardozo with money be good over a school like fordham if I dont want to work in big law.

nealric

Re: cardozo Entertainment Law dont want Big Law

Postby nealric » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Keep in mind that a lot of entertainment law actually is biglaw. Also, a lot of it is really just transactional corporate or intellectual property law that happens to be for entertainment companies.

Statistically speaking, the chances of actually getting an entertainment law job out of a school like Cardozo are next to nothing. Frankly, they aren't good out of any school, but they are even lower out of a T2. A URM with those numbers is highly likely to get into NYU/Columbia. Since you are already wealthy, I don't think it makes any sense at all to forgo the best chance at doing the type of work you want simply to avoid paying some tuition.

nbxfashion

Postby nbxfashion » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Thank you I appreciate your response, I was told that I basically had little chance to go to a columbia or nyu. I realize what are you saying and believe that it does make sense to attend the more prestigious schools.

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:44 am

I was told that I basically had little chance to go to a columbia or nyu

I think you actually have an excellent chance. People were probably advising based on non-URM chances. Your LSAT is actually well within range, GPA is mitigated by (what I presume to be) a decent period of time, URM bonus can be huge.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:36 pm

You are wealthy so do you have any good contacts within the entertainment/music industry? It seems like an industry where knowing someone would be more helpful than going to Columbia.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”