Might have a tough decision to make

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thekingiv
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:15 am

Might have a tough decision to make

Postby thekingiv » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:54 am

So, the first part that is tough is I want to be a sports agent. I have spoken with a few agents, and they tell me it's a hard industry to get into, but I'd like to get a little feedback from anyone on here that might have perspective.

How important is the law school you go to? Here's the situation.

I expect to get about a 170 on the LSAT in February. Given I do that, I should get into Emory, and get just about full scholarships to Ga. State, UGA, and Tennessee.

Emory is a great law school, and I liked my visit there, but I enjoyed the atmosphere at Tennessee far, far, more. I plan on living in the southeast, and don't have any desire (right now) to go to NY, LA, etc.

If I get accepted to Emory and a full-ride to Tennessee, which to choose? I know there's no clear-cut answer, but would welcome opinions.

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby bissey » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:57 am

I don't know your GPA, but with a 170, you should get a large scholarship from Emory, making this decision easy.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:59 am

Neither of these schools will provide you a great chance to realize your goals.

Also, take the lsat before asking hypos.

thekingiv
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:15 am

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby thekingiv » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm

mistergoft wrote:Neither of these schools will provide you a great chance to realize your goals.



Why is that?

thekingiv
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:15 am

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby thekingiv » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 pm

bissey wrote:I don't know your GPA, but with a 170, you should get a large scholarship from Emory, making this decision easy.


Well, let's change it then. Say I get a 166 in the same scenario. Thoughts?

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 pm

Well, wanting to be a sports agent is a pretty strong soft. Harvard is huge into recruiting a class with diversified interests, and honestly if you hit 170 that is an incredible score for someone hoping to be a sports agent. I'd imagine you’d be an autoadmit there, because I doubt they will have many hopeful sports agents with better numbers. Yale is probably a reach, as they only take about one person interested in being a sports agent each year. Obviously everyone else is a lock.

User avatar
Jay-Electronica
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby Jay-Electronica » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:03 pm

The school you go to doesnt matter matter for a sports agent, a lot of the most successful ones have gone to TTT's. Its about you, your personality, ability to land clients and produce, thats all that matters for an agent.

User avatar
UFMatt
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby UFMatt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:03 pm

It's fun to think of the 'what ifs,' but I'd wait until you actually get your score back before spending too much thought on this.

User avatar
Jay-Electronica
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby Jay-Electronica » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Drew2010 wrote:Well, wanting to be a sports agent is a pretty strong soft. Harvard is huge into recruiting a class with diversified interests, and honestly if you hit 170 that is an incredible score for someone hoping to be a sports agent. I'd imagine you’d be an autoadmit there, because I doubt they will have many hopeful sports agents with better numbers. Yale is probably a reach, as they only take about one person interested in being a sports agent each year. Obviously everyone else is a lock.

lolwut?

User avatar
actorlaw
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby actorlaw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:09 pm

Most prominent sports agencies are based out of New York or LA...

So unless you make contacts at Georgia, Tennessee, or Emory you might want to look at schools with closer proximity to NYC or LA... You say you have no desire right now to go to NYC or LA, however, during law school and your first couple of years out, networking and establishing yourself in a such a lucrative field is key. So you might want to reconsider location and/or career if being in the south is that important to you...

Look around on this website a little.

http://www.sports-agent-directory.com/sports-agents.asp

Most of these big players went to a school that was either a T14 or did well enough to place well in a big city. However, some of them don't even have a JD.

If in fact you get a 170, you should go to the best law school possible. If you're able to get into the T14 then choose a school that has a solid Entertainment/Sports Law Society and a strong contract and IP program.

I'm in the same boat but on the Entertainment Law side...

Best of luck to you!

thekingiv
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:15 am

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby thekingiv » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:10 pm

IDILL_E wrote:The school you go to doesnt matter matter for a sports agent, a lot of the most successful ones have gone to TTT's. Its about you, your personality, ability to land clients and produce, thats all that matters for an agent.


Thank you, this is good feedback. I know it is almost completely a networker's industry, and I am OK with that since I feel it's one of my strong suits...I work in fundraising; making cold calls and being "persistent" (to put it nicely) with people is an everyday part of my job that I have no problem with. Still doesn't mean it will be easy.
Last edited by thekingiv on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thekingiv
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:15 am

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby thekingiv » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:12 pm

actorlaw wrote:Most prominent sports agencies are based out of New York or LA...

So unless you make contacts at Georgia, Tennessee, or Emory you might want to look at schools with closer proximity to NYC or LA... You say you have no desire right now to go to NYC or LA, however, during law school and your first couple of years out, networking and establishing yourself in a such a lucrative field is key. So you might want to reconsider location and/or career if being in the south is that important to you...

Look around on this website a little.

http://www.sports-agent-directory.com/sports-agents.asp

Most of these big players went to a school that was either a T14 or did well enough to place well in a big city. However, some of them don't even have a JD.

If in fact you get a 170, you should go to the best law school possible. If you're able to get into the T14 then choose a school that has a solid Entertainment/Sports Law Society and a strong contract and IP program.

I'm in the same boat but on the Entertainment Law side...

Best of luck to you!


Thank you, great advice. Best of luck to you on the entertainment side.

There are definitely slimmer pickings in Knoxville or Atlanta, but there are big sports agencies there. A3 in Knoxville is the one that got Albert Haynesworth his huge contract with the Redskins. I am friends with a pretty big MLB agent in Atlanta. We'll see.

Either way, I appreciate your honesty!

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Might have a tough decision to make

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:30 pm

thekingiv wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Neither of these schools will provide you a great chance to realize your goals.



Why is that?

IDILL_E wrote:The school you go to doesnt matter matter for a sports agent, a lot of the most successful ones have gone to TTT's. Its about you, your personality, ability to land clients and produce, thats all that matters for an agent.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest