Entering Teach For America after 1L year, then transferring

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JR00576

Re: Entering Teach For America after 1L year, then transferring

Postby JR00576 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:08 pm

Hey Guys

Thanks for responding to my post. After reading all of your replies, I am leaning toward just transferring to a better law school and continuing my legal education. I will still go to the TFA final interview to keep my options open, but you all have convinced me to be cautious about this path.

I guess I just had a "quarter life crises" and wanted to use these years of my youth in a useful way. But, you are right about interviewers being skeptical about taking time off, and taking a hiatus is certainly bad for transfer prospects. Please keep posting if you have any advice, and thanks for your help.

JR00576

aIvin adams

Postby aIvin adams » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:49 pm

let us know whatever you do so that i have a plan after i ahte the first year of law school :)

lightbulb1986

Postby lightbulb1986 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:01 pm

Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:55 am

thisguy456 wrote:As most people have mentioned, Peace Corps is different from TFA, so it's not useful to bring up in this case. Peace Corps is not solely about the work/development. It's a unique form a development that has useful implications when considered in the larger scheme of development (microdevelopment to complement macrodevelopment). But again, the goal is not solely development or the work.

And secondly, I could be wrong, but are TFA teachers taking jobs away from other teachers? I wouldn't think so. The argument of "not wanting my kids to be taught by an inexperienced TFA teacher" misses the point. Your kids wouldn't have a teacher, or would be in a class of 40, if it weren't for the TFA teacher.

As a current Peace Corps volunteer (and as someone who has had many friends go into TFA), I have to agree that PC and TFA are entirely different in scope. The primary idea behind Peace Corps is having the volunteers create sustainable development in developing nations (in other words, make sure that after we leave, the things we've accomplished don't simply stop). A lot of this is done through education--showing people in our villages new ways of doing things that they've been doing for generations, explaining why sanitation is important (and just because something looks clean doesn't mean it is--this, they at least somewhat also see through how sick we volunteers become from eating their food when they didn't wash their hands with soap or bleach the veggies--if they're lucky enough to have veggies--before preparing food. Trust me, getting Giardia, amoebas, etc. is never fun), etc. But we also help them do fund-raising events and to figure out what sort of projects need a higher priority in the village (like, expanding the area for the weekly market might seem like a good idea, but the fact that the village doesn't have a school--and the children have no access to education--means that building a school *might* be the more important project at that time). It truly is an all day, every day job (even if all you're doing some days is sitting around talking to villagers about their lives--you're building trust and improving your local language skills).

TFA is definitely a worthwhile endeavor as well, but I will voice some of the same concern that others here have. Leaving in the middle of law school to do TFA and then returning to LS later might appear to be a red flag (but then again, maybe not). The friends that I've had that actually did TFA had mixed feelings about it. Some felt like they were just swimming around for their time teaching, and never felt that they were qualified to do what they were supposed to be doing (even after training), others said it was extremely rewarding (but they were also the ones who used TFA to become teachers, whereas my friends that had difficulties with the program were generally the ones who had no long-term plan to be teachers)--just something to keep in mind while you're trying to make this decision.

radical4peace

Postby radical4peace » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:46 pm

TFA is not THE solution to educational inequality in this country. It is also not about filling teacher shortages. And unlike some other nontraditional certification programs (many of which are great), it's not focused primarily on getting long-term career teachers into the classroom. I will be the first to admit that I was unprepared to teach 28 7th graders fresh out of college. Of course the ideal situation is that every student, especially low-income students, have excellent veteran teachers who love to teach. But I know for a fact that I was no worse than the other rookie teachers my students had and that I was better than many of their veteran teachers as well. After my two years with TFA, I taught for two more years in a charter school for low-income students. Most of the people in my corps either stayed on in our city past their TFA commitment, went on to charters, school leadership positions or grad school with a focus on education/social justice issues. Without TFA and its alumni, many high-performing charter schools serving low-income students would not exist. I'm really glad that TFA isn't the only organization focused on education, but I know our system is changing for the better because of what many alumni are doing. We need better classroom teachers but we also need better school leaders/policy makers to make that a reality.

aIvin adams

Postby aIvin adams » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:14 pm

how did you know for a fact that you were as good or better than every other rookie teacher and most of the veteran teachers?

they're not facts just bc you say they are. im not saying you aren't right, but whats hte point of telling us its a fact and not telling us why it's a fact?

this question also goes to yer 60% retention figure and pretty much anything else yer presenting as a fact.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”