applied to one law school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PDaddy

Gold

Re: applied to one law school

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:27 pm

GATORTIM wrote:I applied to 5, but would really only seriously consider a couple.

???????? (scratches head)

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:29 pm

When I started out I thought I would only apply to Georgetown, maybe GW or George Mason. But when I got my LSAT score I realized I had to apply to some other schools even if it meant having to leave DC.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:29 pm

cherryalamode wrote:Applied to 10.

Only would seriously consider half of them.

????????? (scratches head)

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Even with the scholarship fishing most of us must do, the fishing should be done only between schools we would actually attend. Remember this, any law school can call your bluff. If you tell BC that you may go to Fordham if they don't up your money, you'd better be prepared to go to Fordham if BC can't offer more money. While you could still go to BC anyways, you'd arrive on campus feeling sort of stupid.

Nobody wants that.

DannyJames

New

Post by DannyJames » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:54 pm

i applied to only 1 school last year for the same reasons as you. i decided very late and didn't have my stuff together. this year i reapplied but upped it to 7 schools total that I would have considered attending at the time of application. My list is now shorter as I've done more research, visits, etc. i commend you on not dropping a ton of $$ just to see "Accepted"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cherryalamode

Bronze

Post by cherryalamode » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:11 pm

PDaddy wrote:Even with the scholarship fishing most of us must do, the fishing should be done only between schools we would actually attend. Remember this, any law school can call your bluff. If you tell BC that you may go to Fordham if they don't up your money, you'd better be prepared to go to Fordham if BC can't offer more money. While you could still go to BC anyways, you'd arrive on campus feeling sort of stupid.

Nobody wants that.
+1

Not to mention, my numbers aren't in the stratosphere level like many here on TLS (163). So I'm looking to go to the best school that takes me. It would be hard to ask for scholarships when I tell them a bunch of worse-ranked schools offered me XXXXX dollars.

I guess I can try but Im not sure how successful I'd be.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:45 pm

I applied to two and don't have high hopes for either.

Undergradut

New

Post by Undergradut » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:05 pm

I applied to just one law school. It is the state school in my home state. My stats are on the edge. If I get accepted, I'll attend. If rejected, I'm going to find a job, study for the LSAT, and try again next year.

Applying to one law school is taking a risk, but I figured there were not any other law schools out there that were worth applying to. I would get rejected at higher ranked schools. I would get accepted to lower ranked schools, but I would not want to attend any of them, especially if it meant taking near sticker amounts of debt.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:14 pm

PDaddy wrote:Even with the scholarship fishing most of us must do, the fishing should be done only between schools we would actually attend. Remember this, any law school can call your bluff. If you tell BC that you may go to Fordham if they don't up your money, you'd better be prepared to go to Fordham if BC can't offer more money. While you could still go to BC anyways, you'd arrive on campus feeling sort of stupid.

Nobody wants that.
So what if they call your bluff and you still attend. Its the admissions office, you don't talk to them again after orientation. Its not like there's some note with your name anywhere it pops up saying you tried to get more money and failed. The admissions people probably won't even remember who you are or what you asked for, you're numbers on a piece of paper to them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

z*z

New

Post by z*z » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:27 pm

I have only received notification from two schools before I withdrew all of my apps. I guess I can count myself as one the lucky few who have never been rejected from a law school. (I am sure this would not have been the case had I not withdrawn :wink: )

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:35 pm

Jack2012 wrote:I only applied to 1 and....

Got full ride
In top 5% in the class
Already accepted to 2 summer jobs (one is a top regional firm)
On law review
Found a unicorn
Professor I'm writing a paper with knows a Fed CoA judge.

win.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:52 pm

I started out with 3 in mind. All 3 were in my state and at various levels of prestige. As the cycle has progressed, my list grows depending on different factors... So I'm up around 10 schools now from NC up to CT and over to IL.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:56 am

PDaddy wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:I applied to 5, but would really only seriously consider a couple.

what is soo confusing about this? at the end of all this each of us can only go to one school....
Right???? (scratches balls)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:14 am

GATORTIM wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

what is soo confusing about this? at the end of all this each of us can only go to one school....
Right???? (scratches balls)
assuming you don't transfer, amirite?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”