Need your help to decide!! Texas/Baylor/UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Esc

Re: Need your help to decide!! Texas/Baylor/UVA

Postby Esc » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:52 pm

UT wins hands down, with better job placement, better quality of education, lower attrition rate, better atmosphere, AND NO TWO-THIRDS CHANCE YOU WILL LOSE YOUR SCHOLARSHIP AFTER THE FIRST YEAR!

(I'm going to dispute the notion that UVA is better for Texas. Yes, UVA students will do quite well here. But they won't be able to network through school like me and my classmates are doing, which I feel is essential. Unless you already have a lot of legal connections in Texas, I'd go for UT over UVA.)

Oh, and btw, there are plenty of conservative students here. Thinking that you won't fit in because of conservative beliefs is silly. You shouldn't be afraid of Austin - the city is liberal for sure, but it has a strong libertarian streak that shows its Texas bonafides.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Go to Texas.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Esc wrote:(I'm going to dispute the notion that UVA is better for Texas. Yes, UVA students will do quite well here. But they won't be able to network through school like me and my classmates are doing, which I feel is essential. Unless you already have a lot of legal connections in Texas, I'd go for UT over UVA.)

There are a bunch of UT undergrads all competing for the same jobs. Firms love to diversify and they love having grads from prestigious schools. There aren't that many folks at UVA who are from TX and have TX ties, so for those that do, they have a much easier time distinguishing themselves. If a firm takes 5 UT grads and 1 UVA grad, but 50 UT grads and only 2 UVA grads applied, the UVA grads still have a much better shot at getting in.

I can't badmouth UT too much, though, since I'm a UT undergrad and I miss Austin. I would not fault someone for going there if they wanted to work in TX when they graduated, it's a great place to live and you'll still do well if you distinguish yourself enough.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:59 pm

vanwinkle wrote:These are your options/possibilities:

1) Go to UVA, and with your TX connections/background you will do great finding jobs in TX.
2) Go to UT, and while you'll be competing with all the other UT grads, you'll still do pretty well in TX if you don't fuck up.
3) Go to Baylor, rack up loans to pay COL even if they gave you a "full ride", fail at finding high-paying work when you graduate, become bitter and angry, post a lot on JDU, and then /killself.

HTH.

/thread

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:05 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Esc wrote:(I'm going to dispute the notion that UVA is better for Texas. Yes, UVA students will do quite well here. But they won't be able to network through school like me and my classmates are doing, which I feel is essential. Unless you already have a lot of legal connections in Texas, I'd go for UT over UVA.)

There are a bunch of UT undergrads all competing for the same jobs. Firms love to diversify and they love having grads from prestigious schools. There aren't that many folks at UVA who are from TX and have TX ties, so for those that do, they have a much easier time distinguishing themselves. If a firm takes 5 UT grads and 1 UVA grad, but 50 UT grads and only 2 UVA grads applied, the UVA grads still have a much better shot at getting in.

I can't badmouth UT too much, though, since I'm a UT undergrad and I miss Austin. I would not fault someone for going there if they wanted to work in TX when they graduated, it's a great place to live and you'll still do well if you distinguish yourself enough.

I think its a trade-off between having a "uniqueness" factor and having the opportunity to make connections all through school. My point of view is that if you do well in your class, you'll stand out either way, but if you don't, you'll need connections to survive. But that's just my $0.02.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:10 pm

LawyerToBe123 wrote:The reason less firms came to Baylor for OCI is because of Baylor's much smaller size. Over 500 firms went to George Washington, but can anyone argue that GW is better than UT???

As to the comments on the fact that UVA is far superior to UT and Baylor, I'd definitely disagree. I'd never knew anything about UVA until I applied because they sent me a fee waiver (other than the fact that it was a big state school in Virginia). I didn't even know it was a good school or "prestigious."

On the other hand, everyone knows Baylor is an extremely academically rigorous school (the Bootcamp of Law Schools!!) and that UT has a great football team, fun atmosphere, and decent academics. So, as far as your "UVA is clearly the best school here" argument goes, I don't think that is true at all.

It would be difficult for you to be more wrong in this thread. You could try, but it would be difficult.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:15 pm

Esc wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I think its a trade-off between having a "uniqueness" factor and having the opportunity to make connections all through school. My point of view is that if you do well in your class, you'll stand out either way, but if you don't, you'll need connections to survive. But that's just my $0.02.

My personal opinion would be that getting Texas biglaw through OCI will be easier for a UVA student with Texas roots than a UT student, but getting a Texas job outside of OCI will be substantially easier for a UT student. But as well, that's just my $.02.
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:15 pm

This thread made me giggle from the start.

I can't believe anyone took him seriously when he was asking if Baylor was a better choice than UT.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:18 pm

vanwinkle wrote:These are your options/possibilities:

1) Go to UVA, and with your TX connections/background you will do great finding jobs in TX.
2) Go to UT, and while you'll be competing with all the other UT grads, you'll still do pretty well in TX if you don't fuck up.
3) Go to Baylor, rack up loans to pay COL even if they gave you a "full ride", fail at finding high-paying work when you graduate, become bitter and angry, post a lot on JDU, and then /killself.

HTH.

Waco is an incredibly cheap place to live, so his COL will be fairly low. That being said, I don't know how anyone who wants to practice in Texas can turn down UT. The gap between UT and Baylor is far too wide. I haven't read a lot about UVA placement in Texas (and I think that may be kind of telling in itself).

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:19 pm

littlebit wrote:Not sure why you asked for our input. Good luck at Baylor.

This. /thread.

It's unfortunate that you're so blinded by your preconceived notions about these schools you're missing the opportunity to attend two amazing institutions. But if you believe Baylor is the best fit for you, then by all means take your full-ride and enjoy your studies. There are plenty of people on these boards anxiously awaiting withdraws from UT and UVA.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:24 pm

I'm going to UVA next year, and I would prefer you did not.

Hook 'em horns baby.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:28 pm

LawyerToBe123 wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and really need your help in deciding where to go next year. I've heard back from pretty much all the schools I've applied to... so far my choices are: Baylor, UVA or UT

Right now I am leaning towards Baylor. I want to be in Texas after I graduate, so Baylor or UT would probably be the most logical choice. However, with my financial situation, and in this economy, I need to minimize debt as much as possible. Texas and UVa gave me substantial aid, but Baylor gave me a full scholarship.

Baylor's generous package, coupled with their high Texas bar passage rate, practice-oriented 3L curriculum, and ties to the Texas legal market (Leon Jaworski of Fulbright & Jaworski was an alum) make Baylor the clear, logical choice right? I don't think UVA has as much weight in Texas as UT or Baylor and I'd love to go to UT except I need to minimize my debt (and Baylor actually has a higher bar passage rate in Texas than UT).

Any opinions would be helpful... you guys all seem pretty knowledgeable about this stuff so I thought I'd check in before making my final decision.

Thanks!!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105527

Looks like he made his choice just a few minutes later---and bashes UVA in the process:

LawyerToBe123 wrote:vanwinkle, YOU sound full of fail. have fun at UVA. its so unprestigious i always just thought it was a big state school with NO academic prestige at all. i dont know why you guys at uva have your noses in the air, dont you know no one thinks its prestigious AT ALL other than you who go there?

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:06 pm

This thread is so full of fail that the fail actually spilled into another thread. TLS rules.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:04 pm

The fail is strong ITT and spilling onto my desk at work. I must now leave the thread. This must be flame. No other way that this makes sense and I am now dumber becausse of it.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:21 pm

There's not enough fail in the world to describe what's wrong with this thread.

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:24 pm

Flame.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:25 pm

The Zeppelin wrote:Flame.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:28 pm

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

sawwaverunner

Postby sawwaverunner » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:33 pm

I'm probably one of the most debt adverse people on this site, but I am going to have to say that if the price between Texas and Baylor only totals $25,000 difference (for all three years) it would be a much better option to go to Texas.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Esc wrote:UT wins hands down, with better job placement, better quality of education, lower attrition rate, better atmosphere, AND NO TWO-THIRDS CHANCE YOU WILL LOSE YOUR SCHOLARSHIP AFTER THE FIRST YEAR!

(I'm going to dispute the notion that UVA is better for Texas. Yes, UVA students will do quite well here. But they won't be able to network through school like me and my classmates are doing, which I feel is essential. Unless you already have a lot of legal connections in Texas, I'd go for UT over UVA.)

Oh, and btw, there are plenty of conservative students here. Thinking that you won't fit in because of conservative beliefs is silly. You shouldn't be afraid of Austin - the city is liberal for sure, but it has a strong libertarian streak that shows its Texas bonafides.

In Texas-talk, a liberal is someone who requires insurmountable evidence to execute someone. Real Texans execute now and let the big guy sort 'em out!

yee-haw!

blue16

Postby blue16 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:43 pm

If you're leaning towards Baylor...check this out

Return to “Choosing a Law School”