Employment Opportunities Near Law Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
luckyduck

Employment Opportunities Near Law Schools

Postby luckyduck » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:17 am

My husband was laid off in September. I've been accepted to Buffalo, Franklin Pierce, Stetson (we live near this already), and St. Louis University. We probably will end up wherever my husband gets a job since we were counting on some income to help with school expenses.

I was wondering if anyone out there could name some major employers in any of the areas I've already been accepted to (except Stetson -- he's been looking for a job here for 6 months).

I would be especially interested in the names of the major hospital systems and major insurance companies in Buffalo, St. Louis, and Concord (or anywere in NH) area. He was an operations manager at a major health care insurer here and has extensive experience in health care analysis.

Mullyman

Re: Employment Opportunities Near Law Schools

Postby Mullyman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:20 pm

As far as Buffalo goes, you should look into Geico, they seem to always be hiring. For health care companies Mercy Hospital, VA Hospital, and also should look at Univeristy at Buffalo itself, they do extensive research and might have some openings.

Also look at Citigroup as they have been moving a lot of roles from NYC, and are usually hiring.

luckyduck

Postby luckyduck » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks Mullyman

luckyduck

Postby luckyduck » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:41 am

How about St. Louis? We used to live in So. Illinois but I can't remember the name of the major hospital system in St. Louis. Is it Cardinal?

Any St. Louis residents out there?

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:31 am

Concord to Boston is a doable commute, and Boston has tons of massive teaching hospitals.

kurguzy

Postby kurguzy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:42 am

In Buffalo, the biggest hospital is Erie County Hospital. I think the acronym is ECHC. It is a very good teaching hospital.

luckyduck

Postby luckyduck » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:35 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Concord to Boston is a doable commute, and Boston has tons of massive teaching hospitals.

I'm surprised. It looked too far. My brother lives in Gloucester, MA and commutes to Boston via train, but Concord looked way way farther.

Thanks though -- I'll tell him to start a Boston search.

luckyduck

Postby luckyduck » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:35 pm

kurguzy wrote:In Buffalo, the biggest hospital is Erie County Hospital. I think the acronym is ECHC. It is a very good teaching hospital.

Thanks!

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:33 pm

Boston is a straight shot down 93 from Concord. If you both don't mind about a 45-minute commute, you could settle somewhere around Nashua or even a little bit closer to the I-93 corridor. This isn't perfect, certainly, but it might be your best option, considering the options you listed.

Also, I have no idea about the Buffalo/Geico thing. Look into that, for sure.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”