Miami U vs. Seattle U with a little $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ihatethelsat

Miami U vs. Seattle U with a little $

Postby ihatethelsat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:14 pm

I got $7,000 a year at Seattle and nothing at Miami and I understand Miami U at sticker is painful (maybe even idiotic), but I hate cold/rainy weather and the Miami legal market is better than the Seattle one with a Seattle U. JD. So, please don't hate or talk down to me, just let me know if you have an opinion and what you think. Thanks.

Also, does anyone have experience with calling an admission office and talking to them about giving you scholarship money?

deadpanic

Re: Miami U vs. Seattle U with a little $

Postby deadpanic » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Are there no other options?

Seems kind of odd that you are comparing the two. And if you hate cold & rain, I don't think you need to be applying anywhere in the Pacific NW.

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Would you rather work and presumably settle down in Miami or Seattle? If you've never been to Seattle I suggest you visit. As a native who's seen a lot of people come and go, a lot of folks fall in love with it once they're here . . . but some people hate it until the day they leave, especially from a place like Miami.

ihatethelsat

Postby ihatethelsat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:29 pm

I have no idea where I want to settle down... I do have other waitlists and one other acceptance (Rutgers -- I threw it out). I have visited Seattle and loved it, but it was also on a gorgeous day. Basically, I love the city, but dislike the weather. SOooooooooo, ya, I sound crazy, but if it comes down to these two choices I still have no clue.

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:03 pm

I guess if it's down to those two with no other options I'd take Seattle with the money. I mean if you love the city, which many people do, you'll get past the weather. $21,000 you don't take out in loans is $21,000 you don't have to pay back...

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:52 pm

I think it should really come down to where you want to live. The difference in cost is not that significant. Do you prefer Seattle or Miami. Weather is probably a factor, but it shouldn't be the only one. In fact the weather in Seattle is not that bad, beautiful days are the norm in the summer, its obviously much colder in Seattle, but I bet it actually rains more in Miami. There are lots of other factors to consider: proximity to friends and family (whether your preference is near or far), character of the city, the types of activities you enjoy and whether those are available to you near either place; I like to ski and mountain climb, so Miami would immediately be out if it were me making this decision.

If you really can't decide where you would prefer to live, my hunch would be that you would be slightly better off with a Miami degree in Miami than a Seattle degree in Seattle, just because in Seattle there is also a T30 school, whereas in Miami there are no substantially better regarded schools anywhere close.

ihatethelsat

Postby ihatethelsat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Thank you, you guys were very helpful. I still don't know which I think is better, but that's why I just booked a flight to Miami.

yeff

Postby yeff » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:20 am

Don't believe the hype! Yes, Seattle is obviously colder, but Miami gets much more rain (56 in vs Seattle's 37)

In Seattle, the rain is almost always very gentle, unlike Florida's regular t-storms. People in Seattle go about their business and pleasure even when it rains.

Your problem is not the rain but the near-constant cloudiness. Something absurd like 6 out of 7 days from October to May are cloudy.

But if you hate cold and rain....

In regards to your other original question, this thread may be useful:

negotiating merit aid

KafkaLover

Postby KafkaLover » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:42 pm

I don't know if you've ever been to Miami - I noticed that you were booking a flight here. As a life-long Miami native I love this city, but the weather can actually be pretty brutal if you can't handle extreme heat and humidity. It rains a lot during the summer, and hurricanes can be a major problem. Classes were cancelled so much my freshman year of college because of hurricanes that finals became optional and some other regional schools were considering throwing out the semester. Major hurricanes or such a high number of hurricanes are very rare, but you certainly need to think about how you would handle a storm and its resulting effects (loss of power for days or weeks, roads impassable, ect.)
Again, I love the MIA and the weather can be beautiful, but it can also been severe in the summer and early fall. But as to your original question, I think I would still choose Miami. In my opinion, the beach, Hispanic flavor, and excellent nightlife are more attractive to me than Seattle.
One more thing - do you speak or would consider learning to speak Spanish? Fluency or a conversational knowledge of Spanish is, to my understanding, a large advantage in the Miami legal market.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”