Case + $$$ < or > BU or BC @ sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hotdoglaw

Bronze

Case + $$$ < or > BU or BC @ sticker

Post by hotdoglaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 am

I just wanted to see how people felt about this: I just got some big money from Case and have a serious, though not exclusive, interest in Health Law. I haven't heard from BU or BC yet, but am already anticipating this situation (I'm likely to get into one of the two). Assuming I get no money or a small amount from them, what do people think the best choice would be? Things I'm considering...Case has a highly ranked health law program. BU ranks 20 vs. Case at 55. Never been to Cleveland, I've heard it is nice, but Boston is pretty tough to beat. Thanks already for everyone's input. Best, J.

TTH

Diamond

Re: Case + $$$ < or > BU or BC @ sticker

Post by TTH » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:14 am

Cleveland isn't nice, but the neighborhoods around Case are.

I don't know anything about health law, but if you went to Case, you would be in the backyard of one of the best teaching hospitals in the world.

Where do you want to practice when you're done?

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:20 am

BU and BC both place really well in Boston, so if you have an offer from either of those and want to stay in the area, I would seriously consider it. But I agree with TTH; I think this is more a question of where you want to practice.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:26 am

Case Western 2007 Graduates Employment Location
Graduates employed in-state 36%
Graduates employed in foreign countries 0%
Number of states where graduates are employed 30
New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT) 4.0%
Middle Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA) 11.1%
East North Central (IL, IN, MI, OH, WI) 45.2%
West North Central (IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD) 1.0%
South Atlantic (DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV) 24.6%
East South Central (AL, KY, MS, TN) 1.5%
West South Central (AR, LA, OK, TX) 2.5%
Pacific (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA) 6.1%
Mountain (AZ, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT, WY) 2.0%
Employment location unknown 1.5%

Less than 50% of Case Western grads stayed in the midwest, let alone Ohio.

While case is ranked in the 50's, it's actually a pretty good school.

I would say BU/BC cost too much at sticker - but if Case offered you a no strings attached $35,000+, go with Case.

hotdoglaw

Bronze

Post by hotdoglaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:56 am

Case offered me 30k annual if my GPA stays above 3.15, half that if it is between 3.15 and 2.8 and nothing if below 2.8. Which brings me to another question: is 3.15 a difficult GPA to maintain? I know in undergrad it is not, but am not sure how these numbers translate into law school GPAs.

In terms of where I want to practice...it is more contingent on finding a livable community in any area (new york excluded; after spending undergrad in NYC I'm about done with the city...) I'm from Boston and love the area and would love to live there, however I'm not married to the idea; if I visit Cleveland (they sent me a $200 travel stipend to encourage me to do this) and am impressed by it, well, then I'm not sure what I'll do. I think I prefer New England over the midwest, but, given the money situation, am not sure I prefer it 30k's worth...ya hear?

Also, case ranks highly for health law, but lower as a whole... does anyone know if this actually affects mobility and employment prospects or is it really rather irrelevant?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:59 am

Take into account that BU's health specialization is pretty amazing. I have 0 health experience or any science background whatsoever, and I already have an offer for the summer in the health field through school connections. My roommate does as well.

hotdoglaw

Bronze

Post by hotdoglaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:04 pm

I wasn't aware of that. I mean, that their health specialization was especially strong. Congrats to you and your room mate? What year are you?

hotdoglaw

Bronze

Post by hotdoglaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Sorry, that wasn't a question: Congrats to you and your room mate!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm a first year, so its not a big deal. Its unpaid which is also sucky, but I'm glad to have something interesting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hotdoglaw

Bronze

Post by hotdoglaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:08 pm

Sounds good. Would you mind telling me what you'll be doing and where? Just curious...

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:15 pm

hotdoglaw wrote:Sounds good. Would you mind telling me what you'll be doing and where? Just curious...
I'll be in DC working at a healthcare lobbying firm.

JMBrown32

New

Post by JMBrown32 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Don't think I'd pay sticker at BU or BC. Both are great schools, no doubt, but that's way too much debt ITE.

tarheels19

New

Post by tarheels19 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:24 pm

hotdoglaw wrote:Case offered me 30k annual if my GPA stays above 3.15, half that if it is between 3.15 and 2.8 and nothing if below 2.8. Which brings me to another question: is 3.15 a difficult GPA to maintain? I know in undergrad it is not, but am not sure how these numbers translate into law school GPAs.

In terms of where I want to practice...it is more contingent on finding a livable community in any area (new york excluded; after spending undergrad in NYC I'm about done with the city...) I'm from Boston and love the area and would love to live there, however I'm not married to the idea; if I visit Cleveland (they sent me a $200 travel stipend to encourage me to do this) and am impressed by it, well, then I'm not sure what I'll do. I think I prefer New England over the midwest, but, given the money situation, am not sure I prefer it 30k's worth...ya hear?

Also, case ranks highly for health law, but lower as a whole... does anyone know if this actually affects mobility and employment prospects or is it really rather irrelevant?
median at case is approx a 3.1-3.15 for 1st years.... youll have to be in the lower 25%-30% to be below a 2.8

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”