Help me choose

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should Nixxers go to school?

Harvard
67%
Michigan + Darrow
30%
CCN
3%

Total votes: 33

nixxers

Help me choose

Postby nixxers » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:20 pm

Okay... for various reasons I don't think I have much of a shot at YS, which means my cycle is pretty much over (?) and now I have to start thinking about choices (barring random massive scholly offer from somewhere else). So...help. I have to visit schools, but I wanted to conduct an informal poll about what I should do. In the future I want DC biglaw, and if I go to HLS my parents will help me pay for some/most of it, so I will have some debt but not all of it. But then again, I don't want to be an a-hole and take (more of) my parents' money... so. help?

lawduder

Re: Help me choose

Postby lawduder » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:12 pm

Michigan is an outstanding school and to be able to attend for free is something that, in my opinion, trumps the H-bomb. However, you might want to see what kind of need-aid Harvard would fork over before you assume it's Michigan with $$$$ and Harvard with $0.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:13 pm

I'd take free law school at a T10 any day of the week.

Caveat: ^Purely a personal preference, reflecting debt-averse attitude and 99% of the practical function of a JD. Consider the higher ranked stuff if you really really want academia or some sort of prestigious gig.

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Parents paying for some or most of HLS? Sign me up!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

lawduder wrote:Michigan is an outstanding school and to be able to attend for free is something that, in my opinion, trumps the H-bomb. However, you might want to see what kind of need-aid Harvard would fork over before you assume it's Michigan with $$$$ and Harvard with $0.

This. Harvard has fantastic need-based aid, and they have a cap of $32,700 of loans per year.
Last edited by im_blue on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:32 pm

im_blue wrote:
lawduder wrote:Michigan is an outstanding school and to be able to attend for free is something that, in my opinion, trumps the H-bomb. However, you might want to see what kind of need-aid Harvard would fork over before you assume it's Michigan with $$$$ and Harvard with $0.

This. Harvard has fantastic need-based merit aid, and they have a cap of $32,700 of loans per year.

wha?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:33 pm

im_blue wrote:

This. Harvard has fantastic need-based merit aid, and they have a cap of $32,700 of loans per year.

ummm i don't think so... they have a cap of $32,700 outside loans... those Federal Education loans everyone is eligible for don't count towards that cap... thus it can still add up to lots of loans

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:35 pm

Whoa, the 'rents will pick up a lot of your Harvard bill? Umm... Harvard. And if you do take the Darrow, please tell them if they can't stand to not write those tuition checks, they could send them to me :D

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:40 pm

no matter what you pick, with those choices you can't go wrong. harvard if you have really, really prestigious career goals that not even the darrow can get you or you have always had a soft spot for harvard. otherwise, i would say darrow.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:57 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

This. Harvard has fantastic need-based aid, and they have a cap of $32,700 of loans per year.

wha?

lol fixed

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:20 pm

no matter what you pick, with those choices you can't go wrong. harvard if you have really, really prestigious career goals that not even the darrow can get you or you have always had a soft spot for harvard. otherwise, i would say darrow.

^This.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:27 pm

whataboutbahb wrote:If Columbia + Hamilton happens, I would say that trumps all other current options, unless you want academia or another career path where the prestige of harvard is needed. Otherwise I would probably go with Harvard with the help from the parents. A T10 school for free is always tempting though.

Haha, I was hoping C+at least butler would happen for some sort of compromise, but alas, it did not.

Thanks so much for the helpful comments, guys! I'm leaning towards HLS at this point, but we'll see.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”