That's what she said.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sibley

Re: That's what she said.

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:50 pm

WhyBother? wrote:Lol...the 2 responses I got seem to both be from women. Kinda confirms my suspicion. I hate to tell you ladies, but that double standard is very real. I am seriously hesitant to start law school while I'm single (since I'd rather not always be that way).

Let me go ahead and offer additional sympathy:

That sucks. And was very douchey of him. I was worried about this with my boyfriend, actually, since he won't finish ungrad until 2011, and (I know...it's illogical... but I'm a girl so I have a right to be if I feel like, right?) he broke up with his high school girlfriend when he went away to do CityYear then go to college.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:51 pm

WhyBother? wrote:Lol...the 2 responses I got seem to both be from women. Kinda confirms my suspicion. I hate to tell you ladies, but that double standard is very real. I am seriously hesitant to start law school while I'm single (since I'd rather not always be that way).

No way. Everyone wants to get with a law student. Wait til you start and you'll get all the hot UG seniors. Trust me.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:52 pm

devilishangelrjp wrote:
WhyBother? wrote:Whatever your wives are saying...it sounds like they're supportive. My boyfriend broke up with me because I'm going to law school. He always knew I was interested in it and planned to go. Men don't seem to have the same tolerance for their female SOs having careers/lives outside of them.

No, he was a dog if he was intimidated by you going to law school. You're better off without him.

I'm actually worried about my own relationship. My boyfriend is kinda counting on being able to move in with me wherever I go for various reasons, but my parents may not go for that, since I'm "the baby."

Tell them to back off. You're quite grown. And.. well... are you really going to let your parents decide, essentially, your quality of life/housing AND the outcome of your relationship?

I'm amazed at how well my highly religious mother is handling me. I'm living at home to save money and I spend every weekend with my boyfriend in his dorm room. He's spent the night here and I've spent the night at his house with his parents in the next room as well.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:58 pm

Well I have a long term boyfriend who is very supportive of my law school endeavors and I work for a girl empowering organization so I don't stand for that crap! There are good guys out there. Don't be afraid. Plus maybe it would be good to be independent for awhile and really figure out who you are without a boyfriend. (sorry if that's too personal *off soap box*)

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:01 am

My boyfriend was not happy with me going out of state, but since the decision was made, he's been very supportive throughout applications, relocating, 1L fall, everything. One of his friends was in a long distance relationship with his now-wife for years while she was in med school. There are good guys out there.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:04 am

My wife will be finishing up her PhD during my first 3 semesters of law school, so the only requirement she placed on me is that I have to take the dogs with me.

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:36 am

Location, location, location. Duke and Michigan were out with her instantly. I'd have to talk her into Cambridge, New Haven, and New York if I somehow get into one of those schools...

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:38 am

big_blue79 wrote:Location, location, location. Duke and Michigan were out with her instantly. I'd have to talk her into Cambridge, New Haven, and New York if I somehow get into one of those schools...

Yale>your SO. HTH.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:39 am

big_blue79 wrote:Location, location, location. Duke and Michigan were out with her instantly. I'd have to talk her into Cambridge, New Haven, and New York if I somehow get into one of those schools...

You might need to talk her into a brain transplant if you cant convince her to move to cambridge or new haven....Harvard or Yale ftw.

And New Haven from what I hear is a pretty cool yuppie/upperclass paradise. Safe, plenty of coffee shops and high end restaurants.

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:42 am

"Nowhere cold."
"No California schools, I want to be able to find a job."
Other than that she is extremely supportive. After being a military wife, she is just happy I'll be around (somewhat).

taytay

Postby taytay » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:44 am

calgal17 wrote:

Well I have a long term boyfriend who is very supportive of my law school endeavors and I work for a girl empowering organization so I don't stand for that crap! There are good guys out there. Don't be afraid. Plus maybe it would be good to be independent for awhile and really figure out who you are without a boyfriend. (sorry if that's too personal *off soap box*)

I don't really understand how guys could be turned off by successful girls to me it means two things

1. They will make lots of money meaning I can either keep more of my own money or be lazy and sponge off them

2. I won't have to worry later about being divorced and losing all my possessions because they probably bought most of it anyways

did I mention I am materialistic?

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:47 am

taytay wrote:did I mention I am materialistic?

It's ok - everyone is materialistic, just not everyone can admit it.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:52 am

Successful girls are sexy. Confidence is sexy. Intelligence is sexy. Having both of those in a good looking girl seems uncommon, which makes it more special, and is also sexy. Not to mention that girls in sexy business suits are perhaps my #1 turn on.

Any guy afraid of a successful woman is either a pussy or a child.

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:56 am

biv0ns wrote: Not to mention that girls in sexy business suits are perhaps my #1 turn on.

+1,000,000

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:58 am

Zojirushi wrote:
biv0ns wrote: Not to mention that girls in sexy business suits are perhaps my #1 turn on.

+1,000,000

Notice how I said sexy business suits. Aka the ones with short skirts instead of pants and low cut blouses.

Notice how I was also talking about "females" I'm not sure if Hildawg fits the bill

tristanlxboyd

Postby tristanlxboyd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:59 am

My wife just wants me to go the best school I can, preferably not in Cali.

I like that.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 am

biv0ns wrote:Successful girls are sexy. Confidence is sexy. Intelligence is sexy. Having both of those in a good looking girl seems uncommon, which makes it more special, and is also sexy. Not to mention that girls in sexy business suits are perhaps my #1 turn on.

Any guy afraid of a successful woman is either a pussy or a child.

+a gazillion :mrgreen: I will never understand how some guys aren't attracted to smart women and then complain that they can't talk to their wives/gfs.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:51 am

My wife exercised her veto power over the NY schools. She grew up in a small town and our visit to Manhattan last year made her uneasy. Outside of that she is open to going anywhere except staying in AZ. See, I plan on practicing in AZ (close to family) and we both would like to get out of town for a few years before settling down permanently. IMO her general openness to most locations makes the decision rather difficult. I will probably get accepted to most T14 schools, but I don't really need to go to any of them to get work with AZ firms. Do we want a sizable amount of debt at a great school or a free ride at a state school? Being married is great, but in this instance it makes the decision a lot more stressful... :|

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:57 am

dude have you been to ann arbor? seriously amazing. from any standpoint. adult, school districts, private schools, amazing college town, so many stores and coffee shops.
genuinly think its gotta be the best college town in the country.

not biased. didnt go there.

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:18 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:

dude have you been to ann arbor? seriously amazing. from any standpoint. adult, school districts, private schools, amazing college town, so many stores and coffee shops.
genuinly think its gotta be the best college town in the country.

not biased. didnt go there.

I agree based on what I hear, but she's never lived east of Las Vegas. Plus, I lived in Flint, MI for a semester of UG (good engineering school in the ghetto pretty much), and I hated everything about Michigan. Their highways feel like railroad tracks.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:26 am

I'm only allowed to go to law schools that are within commuting distance of top ranked aero-space engineering programs.

That's right, my significant other is a ROCKET SCIENTIST.

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 am

Calm down.

Sincerely,

Brain Surgery

:wink: Seriously, though, nice.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:33 am

My fiancee is going to grad school for anthropology/archaeology. She's a year behind me. We were right on target for having the same schools on our dream list, until I started studying for the LSAT and eventually taking it. No longer can we have dreams of both going to Northwestern or Michigan or Berkeley. And apparently Indiana U only has a "meh" anthro program, so we're probably not even going to be attending the same school the first year of our marriage. :( Oh well, we were long-distance for the first two years of our relationship. We can hack it.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:34 am

big_blue79 wrote:Calm down.

Sincerely,

Brain Surgery

So a Brain Surgeon a Rocket Scientist and the two Lawyers they are dating walk into a restaurant...

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:37 am

Cupidity wrote:
big_blue79 wrote:Calm down.

Sincerely,

Brain Surgery

So a Brain Surgeon a Rocket Scientist and the two Lawyers they are dating walk into a restaurant...

And the lawyers pay for nothing, because they are actually state level clerks.

Wait, that isn't funny..... :(

Return to “Choosing a Law School”