That's what she said. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
big_blue79

Bronze

Re: That's what she said.

Post by big_blue79 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 am

^ Lol, I gave off the wrong impression. My SO is not a brain surgeon (nursing student). But, in your scenario, the lawyers pick up the tab. So we both lose.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:40 am

My punchline was going to have something to do with arguing/calculating the tip. but then I decided that its really late.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:01 am

Cupidity wrote:I'm only allowed to go to law schools that are within commuting distance of top ranked aero-space engineering programs.

That's right, my significant other is a ROCKET SCIENTIST.
Aero rankings (T30 law schools nearby)
1. Caltech / MIT (UCLA, USC, Harvard, BU, BC)
3. Stanford (Stanford, Berkeley)
4. Georgia Tech, Purdue, Michigan (Michigan, Emory)
7. Illinois (Illinois)
8. Texas (Texas)
9. Princeton, Maryland-CP (?)
Last edited by im_blue on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 am

im_blue wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I'm only allowed to go to law schools that are within commuting distance of top ranked aero-space engineering programs.

That's right, my significant other is a ROCKET SCIENTIST.
Aero rankings (T30 law schools nearby)
1. Caltech / MIT (UCLA, USC, Harvard, BU, BC)
3. Stanford (Stanford, Berkeley)
3. Georgia Tech, Purdue, Michigan (Michigan, Emory)
7. Illinois (Illinois)
8. Texas (Texas)
9. Princeton, Maryland-CP (?)
9. Maryland - all of the DC schools, since College Park is on a metro line.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:05 am

yup thats the situation. He's going for MIT I'm going for BU/BC or Cal Tech for UCLA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:06 am

jmaan wrote:Wife or gf?? If wife..family life should be a big concern but at the same time it's only 3 years. If gf...mob..just go to the highest ranked school u get into or whichever you personally want. The biggest mistake a man can make is making life decisions with a gf inconsideraton
Here-here! Three of the hardest things for women to give up are their parents, extended relatives and their girlfriends. Who do they shop for shoes and makeup with? At some point, they have to realize that it's about the two people in the relationship (and the kids, if they have them).

I have an SO, and I couldn't care less what she thinks about my career decision. She'd better roll with it or get left behind. That said, she's supportive and understands that she may benefit greatly by my $ucce$$.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:50 am

I'll tell you what she said, she said "Oh my GOD will you shut up about law school? I don't care about your twelve step plan for tricking Duke into accepting you." This from a girl who's also going to law school in the fall. The T14 is a disease for which the only cure is admission.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:56 am

PDaddy wrote:
jmaan wrote:Wife or gf?? If wife..family life should be a big concern but at the same time it's only 3 years. If gf...mob..just go to the highest ranked school u get into or whichever you personally want. The biggest mistake a man can make is making life decisions with a gf inconsideraton
Here-here! Three of the hardest things for women to give up are their parents, extended relatives and their girlfriends. Who do they shop for shoes and makeup with? At some point, they have to realize that it's about the two people in the relationship (and the kids, if they have them).

I have an SO, and I couldn't care less what she thinks about my career decision. She'd better roll with it or get left behind. That said, she's supportive and understands that she may benefit greatly by my $ucce$$.
wow way to generalize half of the population. Personally, who to shop for shoes and makeup with is not a consideration in my life at all. Some women don't care only about $$. :roll:

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:00 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:Very nice, this is a success story as far as SO cooperation is concerned. As an aside, I think I read from an IUB 1L that schools are seeking out applicants who are married. Apparently accepting too many UG seniors resulted in a slew of alcohol related hijinks which of course reflects pretty badly on any LS. Could it be - being married is a "soft" factor? Or "hard" factor? That's what she said. Sorry.
I'm not sure how schools could be using marital status as a soft. I'm married, but there's no button to tick on the application, and I don't really know how one could gracefully work it into a personal statement. Actually, I've met a lot of people who have looked down on me for getting married in my early 20s, so I'm not sure I'd even want to put it on my app.

As for how we're trying to make the decision...we don't have kids, so that makes it a lot easier. I'm going to withdraw from all the places my partner really doesn't want to live for three years/won't find a good job, and then we'll take it from there. I have a feeling he wants me to basically make the decision, but hopefully he'll give me a lot of input.
Last edited by kumba84 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:02 am

barrinmb wrote:The T14 is a disease for which the only cure is admission.
i like this statement

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:30 am

Tofu wrote:
i like this statement
Tofu wrote:
i like this statement
Yeah, it's fitting, at least in terms of my recent and near-future states of mind (and I'd imagine those of many, many other individuals as well); I notice it consuming me more and more as time wears on. On a happier note, congrats on Columbia. Friggin' awesome :!:

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:47 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:How much (1 to 10) is your SO's opinions/desires/etc. weighing in during this process for you all?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:51 am

calgal17 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

wow way to generalize half of the population. Personally, who to shop for shoes and makeup with is not a consideration in my life at all. Some women don't care only about $$. :roll:
+1. Wtf, dude. You want people to go around generalizing you as being completely satisfied anywhere so long as there is a bar in walking distance, a big screen tv with more-than-basic cable, and someone to feed you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:53 am

biv0ns wrote:Not to mention that girls in sexy business suits are perhaps my #1 turn on.
biv0ns is on the money.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:02 am

How much will this cost?

variations: How will we pay off this debt? Is it really better to go to a T20 instead of a T40 with a full ride? How will we pay for living expenses? Can we afford to have kids right after law school if we're still paying off debt? But will you really get a 100k+ job? Do you think you could get them to give you more money?

Is it cold there? Would you really want to go to Michigan or Cornell if you got in? Did you hear it was 0 degrees in Ithaca/Ann Arbor the other day?

/all extremely valid questions. (shhh...she reads this site more than me).
Last edited by holydonkey on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 am

WhyBother? wrote:Whatever your wives are saying...it sounds like they're supportive. My boyfriend broke up with me because I'm going to law school. He always knew I was interested in it and planned to go. Men don't seem to have the same tolerance for their female SOs having careers/lives outside of them.
I think that's a very generalized comment. I'm sorry to hear you were such a self-centered person. My boyfriend is extremely supportive no matter where I end up.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:22 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:
WhyBother? wrote:Whatever your wives are saying...it sounds like they're supportive. My boyfriend broke up with me because I'm going to law school. He always knew I was interested in it and planned to go. Men don't seem to have the same tolerance for their female SOs having careers/lives outside of them.
I think that's a very generalized comment. I'm sorry to hear you were such a self-centered person. My boyfriend is extremely supportive no matter where I end up.
Thank you Kiersten, I think we needed a woman to call that particular generalization out. ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:22 am

My significant gf is dead set on coming with me (to a different time zone) for law school, and is in complete denial about what law school will be like/what kind of pressure it puts on me for her to quit her job and move with me. She says she wont be mad next year if I have to cancel plans on her... see her infrequently... am always studying but she's in DENIAL, and she won't even acknowledge that coming with me/moving in with me (we don't live together now) is a huge f@cking deal. I'm terrified she's going to quit her job, move 1,000 miles away from all her family and friends to stay with me, while not even knowing what she's getting herself into (/what I'm getting myself into). I've been trying to tell her this is a terrible idea but she's not getting the picture.

The Zeppelin

Bronze

Post by The Zeppelin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 am

agentzer0 wrote:My significant gf is dead set on coming with me (to a different time zone) for law school, and is in complete denial about what law school will be like/what kind of pressure it puts on me for her to quit her job and move with me. She says she wont be mad next year if I have to cancel plans on her... see her infrequently... am always studying but she's in DENIAL, and she won't even acknowledge that coming with me/moving in with me (we don't live together now) is a huge f@cking deal. I'm terrified she's going to quit her job, move 1,000 miles away from all her family and friends to stay with me, while not even knowing what she's getting herself into (/what I'm getting myself into). I've been trying to tell her this is a terrible idea but she's not getting the picture.
Looks like you don't want to be with her anyway.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:33 am

+1

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:35 am

The Zeppelin wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:My significant gf is dead set on coming with me (to a different time zone) for law school, and is in complete denial about what law school will be like/what kind of pressure it puts on me for her to quit her job and move with me. She says she wont be mad next year if I have to cancel plans on her... see her infrequently... am always studying but she's in DENIAL, and she won't even acknowledge that coming with me/moving in with me (we don't live together now) is a huge f@cking deal. I'm terrified she's going to quit her job, move 1,000 miles away from all her family and friends to stay with me, while not even knowing what she's getting herself into (/what I'm getting myself into). I've been trying to tell her this is a terrible idea but she's not getting the picture.
I don't think that's necessarily fair. However, if she's driving that hard a bargain, agentzer0, you may have to dump her.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:37 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:

+1
I would say this works vice versa also.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 am

ughOSU wrote:
The Zeppelin wrote:
Possible, she is pretty awesome though.
I don't think that's necessarily fair. However, if she's driving that hard a bargain, agentzer0, you may have to dump her.
Slowly coming to terms with this. Thanks.
Last edited by agentzer0 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:51 am

sibley wrote:
calgal17 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

+1. Wtf, dude. You want people to go around generalizing you as being completely satisfied anywhere so long as there is a bar in walking distance, a big screen tv with more-than-basic cable, and someone to feed you?
+2. It's funny how he calls her a significant other, and then tells us how insignificant her opinion is to him.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 am

agentzer0 wrote:
ughOSU wrote:I don't think that's necessarily fair. However, if she's driving that hard a bargain, agentzer0, you may have to dump her.
Slowly coming to terms with this. Thanks.
Happy to help!!! Good luck.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”