That's what she said.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
reasonabledoubt

That's what she said.

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:19 pm

What are the most common things heard from the significant other, wife, fiance, serious gf, etc, insofar as this law school app/decision process is concerned?

Mine seems not as concerned with rankings, etc, as she is "where it would be great to raise a family."

This is credited in some ways... as future family is absolutely important, but so is developing a great career to support it all.

How much (1 to 10) is your SO's opinions/desires/etc. weighing in during this process for you all?

Is she making it harder? That's what she said.

chicoalto0649

Re: That's what she said.

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:22 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:What are the most common things heard from the significant other, wife, fiance, serious gf, etc, insofar as this law school app/decision process is concerned?

Mine seems not as concerned with rankings, etc, as she is "where it would be great to raise a family."

This is credited in some ways... as future family is absolutely important, but so is developing a great career to support it all.

How much (1 to 10) is your SO's opinions/desires/etc. weighing in during this process for you all?

Is she making it harder? That's what she said.

"Things will be the same, right?"

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:23 pm

#1 on the her list is family place. She is wary of going to a strictly "college" town because we have two little girls and we both went to college so we know what goes on there...
#2 job opportunities for her, she has to re locate (and hopefully support us through law school)
#3 "I trust you to make a good judgment on which law school will afford you the best/most fulfilling job that will help us live a little more comfortably."-meaning, "dont eff this up bud..."

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:25 pm

narkizopoint wrote:#1 on the her list is family place. She is wary of going to a strictly "college" town because we have two little girls and we both went to college so we know what goes on there...
#2 job opportunities for her, she has to re locate (and hopefully support us through law school)
#3 "I trust you to make a good judgment on which law school will afford you the best/most fulfilling job that will help us live a little more comfortably."-meaning, "dont eff this up bud..."

There is definitely a LOT of #3 going around....

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:26 pm

Got an SO.

I would say quite important...as far as ratings go....ummmm...8?

And yes, she's making it easier.

"Don't go out of state" is what I keep hearing.

WhyBother?

Postby WhyBother? » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Whatever your wives are saying...it sounds like they're supportive. My boyfriend broke up with me because I'm going to law school. He always knew I was interested in it and planned to go. Men don't seem to have the same tolerance for their female SOs having careers/lives outside of them.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:27 pm

"I'm going to grad school wherever I want anyway, so I don't care."

mountaineerlaw

Postby mountaineerlaw » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:30 pm

fits it perfect

SoxyPirate

Postby SoxyPirate » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 pm

I gave my wife a pretty big list of schools I wanted to attend.

She narrowed it down to the schools in places she wouldn't mind living, and those were the schools I applied to.

Where we ended up was then up to me, but I obviously consulted her to make sure she was still ok with it.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:38 pm

Wife or gf?? If wife..family life should be a big concern but at the same time it's only 3 years. If gf...mob..just go to the highest ranked school u get into or whichever you personally want. The biggest mistake a man can make is making life decisions with a gf inconsideraton

sternc

Postby sternc » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:39 pm

my gf is so afraid of this whole situation, she wont even talk about it...

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:40 pm

sternc wrote:my gf is so afraid of this whole situation, she wont even talk about it...

Lol - what happens when you pull up with a Uhaul ready to pack up your shit and move it all to your new LS college town?

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:41 pm

My BF has had a huge say in where I go, because he's coming. His requirement, for various reasons, is that it be a big city (NYC, LA, Chicago, SanFran at the very least). My requirement was that I go to one of the highest-ranked schools I got into. (I wasn't going to pass up Penn for UCLA, for instance.) It put a ton of pressure on me to get into specific schools. But I did, luckily, so he's happy and I'm happy.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:42 pm

WhyBother? wrote:Whatever your wives are saying...it sounds like they're supportive. My boyfriend broke up with me because I'm going to law school. He always knew I was interested in it and planned to go. Men don't seem to have the same tolerance for their female SOs having careers/lives outside of them.

Eff him! That's messed up. If he can't deal with a successful woman, then there are plenty of guys out there who will appreciate you more!

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:43 pm

thorntll wrote:My BF has had a huge say in where I go, because he's coming. His requirement, for various reasons, is that it be a big city (NYC, LA, Chicago, SanFran at the very least). My requirement was that I go to one of the highest-ranked schools I got into. (I wasn't going to pass up Penn for UCLA, for instance.) It put a ton of pressure on me to get into specific schools. But I did, luckily, so he's happy and I'm happy.

So I'm guessing UChicago is the winner then.

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:43 pm

WhyBother? wrote:Whatever your wives are saying...it sounds like they're supportive. My boyfriend broke up with me because I'm going to law school. He always knew I was interested in it and planned to go. Men don't seem to have the same tolerance for their female SOs having careers/lives outside of them.

No, he was a dog if he was intimidated by you going to law school. You're better off without him.

I'm actually worried about my own relationship. My boyfriend is kinda counting on being able to move in with me wherever I go for various reasons, but my parents may not go for that, since I'm "the baby."

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:43 pm

narkizopoint wrote:#1 on the her list is family place. She is wary of going to a strictly "college" town because we have two little girls and we both went to college so we know what goes on there...

This pretty much sums it up for me as well (besides having two kids).

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:44 pm

I'm gonna do a that's what he said also (because it's really interesting how opposite the gender roles appear to be). We both want to live in a major city, and we both have a soft spot for San Francisco, grew up holding NYC on a pedestal, and would tolerate DC in a positive way:

"Why would you want to go to a school that's not t14? Even if you got great scholarships at the other schools, you'd have better opportunities at the better schools."
and, since he has a commitment here for another year:
"I'll follow you, or you can transfer to wherever I go"

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:45 pm

thorntll wrote:My BF has had a huge say in where I go, because he's coming. His requirement, for various reasons, is that it be a big city (NYC, LA, Chicago, SanFran at the very least). My requirement was that I go to one of the highest-ranked schools I got into. (I wasn't going to pass up Penn for UCLA, for instance.) It put a ton of pressure on me to get into specific schools. But I did, luckily, so he's happy and I'm happy.

Very nice, this is a success story as far as SO cooperation is concerned. As an aside, I think I read from an IUB 1L that schools are seeking out applicants who are married. Apparently accepting too many UG seniors resulted in a slew of alcohol related hijinks which of course reflects pretty badly on any LS. Could it be - being married is a "soft" factor? Or "hard" factor? That's what she said. Sorry.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:46 pm

Troy Aikman just said on the broadcast "...so the Vikings can get real deep penetration inside."

That's what she said.

WhyBother?

Postby WhyBother? » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:46 pm

Lol...the 2 responses I got seem to both be from women. Kinda confirms my suspicion. I hate to tell you ladies, but that double standard is very real. I am seriously hesitant to start law school while I'm single (since I'd rather not always be that way).

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:47 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Troy Aikman just said on the broadcast "...so the Vikings can get real deep penetration inside."

That's what she said.

+1. This thread may turn into a purely "that's what she said" affair.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:49 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Troy Aikman just said on the broadcast "...so the Vikings can get real deep penetration inside."

That's what she said.

I heard that and commented on it IRL.

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:50 pm

Seven-year-old to another, after comment: That's what she said!
Mom, yelling: Who is this girl? And why do you both always know what she said!?

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:50 pm

WhyBother? wrote:Lol...the 2 responses I got seem to both be from women. Kinda confirms my suspicion. I hate to tell you ladies, but that double standard is very real. I am seriously hesitant to start law school while I'm single (since I'd rather not always be that way).

You don't think you'll meet some guy in law school?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”