U of Houston, talk me down...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
madmartigan
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:55 pm

U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby madmartigan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:22 pm

So yes, UofH is a regional school. And probably only places well in Houston. But Houston is a large market, and the oil/gas industry has really helped Htown during the recession.

Of course, UT rules in TX, but people in Austin fight tooth and nail to stay in Austin. And SMU grads tend to stay in Dallas.

So UofHouston is dominant in a large market and the tuition is cheap (esp for instate students)... good job prospects and affordable. I dunno, seems like a good option. Is there something I'm missing?

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:25 pm

madmartigan wrote:So yes, UofH is a regional school. And probably only places well in Houston. But Houston is a large market, and the oil/gas industry has really helped Htown during the recession.

Of course, UT rules in TX, but people in Austin fight tooth and nail to stay in Austin. And SMU grads tend to stay in Dallas.

So UofHouston is dominant in a large market and the tuition is cheap (esp for instate students)... good job prospects and affordable. I dunno, seems like a good option. Is there something I'm missing?


U of H for Houston is much akin to SMU for Dallas. It is a well-respected regional school. Have you been accepted at UT though? If so, I would strongly consider UT. If nothing else, UT will give you a little bit more flexibility in terms of class rank.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby fathergoose » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:27 pm

The campus is abysmal. Truly frightening. That being said, my sister works for a big firm in Houston and she said a portion of each incoming associate class comes from UH.

It is a very attractive option if you don't get into UT and are looking to live in Houston
Last edited by fathergoose on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:31 pm

madmartigan wrote:So yes, UofH is a regional school. And probably only places well in Houston. But Houston is a large market, and the oil/gas industry has really helped Htown during the recession.

Of course, UT rules in TX, but people in Austin fight tooth and nail to stay in Austin. And SMU grads tend to stay in Dallas.

So UofHouston is dominant in a large market and the tuition is cheap (esp for instate students)... good job prospects and affordable. I dunno, seems like a good option. Is there something I'm missing?


What do you want to do when you get out? (big firm/etc)

U of Houston is a great school for Houston, TX.

And given the tuition expenses, it's a bargain.

While it does do well, you are going to need to rank high to be able to take advantage of many of the jobs there.

Simultaneously, you could try to work at a legal employer while you were in law school to help facilitate moving into the the job area that you would want.

The competition there will be fierce, however.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby ggocat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:38 pm

Although tuition is relatively cheap ($21K 1L tuition and fees for residents), I'd still consider lower ranked schools with a full ride over UH. Depending on numbers, someone competitive for admission at UH could also get a scholarship to Baylor that makes Baylor less expensive.

But overall, UH is a strong school for Houston.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23891
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby Thirteen » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm a native Houstonian who would consider working in Houston, but I am almost 100% set on working in Dallas. I've already applied to SMU, but am considering applying to U of H. I just wish they weren't so stingy with giving out fee waivers, and that I could apply to the PT and FT program on the same app.

User avatar
madmartigan
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby madmartigan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:39 pm

I have no idea what area I want to practice in, or what city I want to practice in. I only know that I want to live in a large city with an urban area, and make a lot of money. :P

I won't get in at UT, but I'm 168/3.1 so I should get into UofH.

And I know the higher I place in the class the better my job prospects. But relatively speaking, because of how big the Houston market is and the fact that UofH is the best school in the immediate region, securing good employment seems positive. Compared to other Tier 1/2 school outside of Top20.

I have a feeling I'm not taking something important into account.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby nealric » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:07 pm

I have a cousin who goes to UH and hates every minute of it. That said, it has some of the best placement in the second tier, and tuition is very reasonable. The dumpy facilities shouldn't be a big concern.
Last edited by nealric on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:10 pm

madmartigan wrote:I have no idea what area I want to practice in, or what city I want to practice in. I only know that I want to live in a large city with an urban area, and make a lot of money. :P

I won't get in at UT, but I'm 168/3.1 so I should get into UofH.

And I know the higher I place in the class the better my job prospects. But relatively speaking, because of how big the Houston market is and the fact that UofH is the best school in the immediate region, securing good employment seems positive. Compared to other Tier 1/2 school outside of Top20.

I have a feeling I'm not taking something important into account.


I wouldn't be so sure ... do you have any WE? Even though it is early in the cycle, it may be worth following up with UT and letting them know that you'll absolutely attend if admitted (of course, only if this happens to be the truth).

User avatar
madmartigan
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby madmartigan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:15 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
madmartigan wrote:I have no idea what area I want to practice in, or what city I want to practice in. I only know that I want to live in a large city with an urban area, and make a lot of money. :P

I won't get in at UT, but I'm 168/3.1 so I should get into UofH.

And I know the higher I place in the class the better my job prospects. But relatively speaking, because of how big the Houston market is and the fact that UofH is the best school in the immediate region, securing good employment seems positive. Compared to other Tier 1/2 school outside of Top20.

I have a feeling I'm not taking something important into account.


I wouldn't be so sure ... do you have any WE? Even though it is early in the cycle, it may be worth following up with UT and letting them know that you'll absolutely attend if admitted (of course, only if this happens to be the truth).


i have WE in contracts and crim research, but I'm not set on UT or even the state of Texas for that matter. I didn't even apply to UT, all the calculators had me at like 10%.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby ggocat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:51 pm

madmartigan wrote:i have WE in contracts and crim research, but I'm not set on UT or even the state of Texas for that matter. I didn't even apply to UT, all the calculators had me at like 10%.

You should definitely apply to UT with a 168 if you are a TX resident.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:29 pm

ggocat wrote:
madmartigan wrote:i have WE in contracts and crim research, but I'm not set on UT or even the state of Texas for that matter. I didn't even apply to UT, all the calculators had me at like 10%.

You should definitely apply to UT with a 168 if you are a TX resident.


+1 ... As for Texas schools, I also recall last year some folks getting into Baylor with full-rides with like-numbers.

User avatar
madmartigan
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby madmartigan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:14 am

Okay... Reality check... I'm not getting into UT and that leaves SMU and U of Houston for tx.

Let's get back to the topic... U of H... sleeper school for jobs or do you have another perspective? Oo
Last edited by madmartigan on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ec2xs
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:05 am

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby ec2xs » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:32 am

ggocat wrote:
madmartigan wrote:i have WE in contracts and crim research, but I'm not set on UT or even the state of Texas for that matter. I didn't even apply to UT, all the calculators had me at like 10%.

You should definitely apply to UT with a 168 if you are a TX resident.


Depends on GPA. 3.4+

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Thirteen wrote:I'm a native Houstonian who would consider working in Houston, but I am almost 100% set on working in Dallas. I've already applied to SMU, but am considering applying to U of H. I just wish they weren't so stingy with giving out fee waivers, and that I could apply to the PT and FT program on the same app.


UofH gave me an unsoliscited fee waiver and my stats are hardly otherworldly (and they're borderline for UofH).

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:17 pm

Not being from Houston, this is my rough calculation of that market:

HYS>UT>CCN>UHouston>everything else

hth

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: U of Houston, talk me down...

Postby nealric » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Not being from Houston, this is my rough calculation of that market:

HYS>UT>CCN>UHouston>everything else


This is wrong. I say this as someone with quite a few family and friends in the Houston legal market.

It is roughly:

YHS---> CCN ---> T14 -> UT ---->UH/SMU/Baylor------>STCL--------->TSU




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], big_willy_style_333, jingosaur, ss12345 and 5 guests