Stanford v. Harvard?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crackberry

Re: Stanford v. Harvard?

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
crackberry wrote:This is going to be an agree-to-disagree situation. I do not think that Harvard students are "more academically inclined" than Stanford students simply because they got, on average, two additional questions right on one four-hour test. That seems to be a ludicrous argument.

I agree with you that a few questions on the LSAT does not--in any way--differentiate people based on intelligence. But, I think the difference in median LSAT scores is 3 points, which probably correlates to 4 questions.

171 vs. 173 no?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:man, if you guys were me, this would be such an easy problem :P

i have 2 equally smart (though distinctly so) friends who happen to each represent HLS/SLS

haha if you knew the 2 of them, you'd know what i was thinking (hard to put into words), but one gives me the feel of what a SLS student would be, and the other what a HLS student would be

once again, both equally smart but may go about it...no, feel different about it -- just comes down to which friend you like hanging out with more haha

Care to expand DC? Via PM maybe? California v. NE? I'm pretty familiar with that.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:53 pm

2-3 points on the LSAT is not sufficient to distinguish between person a and person b. however, if we were to have a set of hypothetical intelligence battles, and draw randomly one person from S and one person from H, the person at H will have more intellectual horsepower on average.

that is still a weird reason to choose H over S though :D

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:55 pm

crackberry wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:
crackberry wrote:This is going to be an agree-to-disagree situation. I do not think that Harvard students are "more academically inclined" than Stanford students simply because they got, on average, two additional questions right on one four-hour test. That seems to be a ludicrous argument.

I agree with you that a few questions on the LSAT does not--in any way--differentiate people based on intelligence. But, I think the difference in median LSAT scores is 3 points, which probably correlates to 4 questions.

171 vs. 173 no?

Can't seem to find the most recent median #s, but the 25/75 are 170/175 v. 167/172.

http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index. ... sc/LSATLow

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:01 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:

171 vs. 173 no?

Can't seem to find the most recent median #s, but the 25/75 are 170/175 v. 167/172.

I could have sworn that massive LSAT sheet showed 168/172 for SLS.

Also, I'm nearly positive the medians are 171 (SLS) and 173 (HLS).

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:17 pm

englawyer wrote:2-3 points on the LSAT is not sufficient to distinguish between person a and person b. however, if we were to have a set of hypothetical intelligence battles, and draw randomly one person from S and one person from H, the person at H will have more intellectual horsepower on average.

that is still a weird reason to choose H over S though :D

this is a nice, succinct way of making the point I was trying to make earlier. except that I do think it is a legitimate (though not a major) reason to like one school more than another

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:21 pm

crackberry wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:I agree with you that a few questions on the LSAT does not--in any way--differentiate people based on intelligence. But, I think the difference in median LSAT scores is 3 points, which probably correlates to 4 questions.

171 vs. 173 no?

I could have sworn that massive LSAT sheet showed 168/172 for SLS.

Also, I'm nearly positive the medians are 171 (SLS) and 173 (HLS).

I thought it was 170 for SLS. ILRG's info is outdated.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:37 pm

booboo wrote:I thought it was 170 for SLS. ILRG's info is outdated.

First, by "massive LSAT sheet" I meant "massive LSAC sheet," and second, I think SLS' median was 170 until last year, when it bumped up to 171.

skynet

Postby skynet » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:47 pm

anyone on this thread understand the differences between the 2 schools' LRAPs?

My impression is that pays higher percentage but with more restrictions on which jobs are eligible and how long assistance remains available. Also, H will cover up to 30k in undergrad debt, not sure if S will.

sorry if this gets us off the thrilling topic of useless stereotypes...

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:51 pm

skynet wrote:anyone on this thread understand the differences between the 2 schools' LRAPs?

My impression is that pays higher percentage but with more restrictions on which jobs are eligible and how long assistance remains available. Also, H will cover up to 30k in undergrad debt, not sure if S will.

So from the research I've done, SLS's LRAP blows Harvard's out of the water. HOWEVER...although HLS canceled their "paid 3L year if going into public service", they promised something to replace it "by March 2010". So perhaps this will make up the difference (if not put them on top).

skynet

Postby skynet » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:57 pm

lawyering wrote:

So from the research I've done, SLS's LRAP blows Harvard's out of the water. HOWEVER...although HLS canceled their "paid 3L year if going into public service", they promised something to replace it "by March 2010". So perhaps this will make up the difference (if not put them on top).

I wish information could travel faster than light (possibly by harnessing quantum entanglement?) so that I wouldn't have to wait till March to find out.

Time travel is going to be so awesome. The future will be yesterday.

zanyventer

Postby zanyventer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:01 pm

treple wrote:HLS students are very different from Harvard undergrads with regard to general douchbaggery.

Harvard UG here. I'd say all the biggest douchebags from all over the country go to HLS to practice the highest form of douchebaggery.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:11 pm

skynet wrote:anyone on this thread understand the differences between the 2 schools' LRAPs?

SLS and YLS have the best LRAPs in the country, followed closely by Berkeley and then Columbia and NYU. Harvard lags behind all of these.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:17 pm

crackberry wrote:

SLS and YLS have the best LRAPs in the country, followed closely by Berkeley and then Columbia and NYU. Harvard lags behind all of these.

wait, crackberry, do you happen to dislike harvard? ;) i had no idea.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:22 pm

lawyering wrote:wait, crackberry, do you happen to dislike harvard? ;) i had no idea.

Only until JR calls me back. Even then, though, I'm nearly positive I'll be in Palo Alto in August.

And that LRAP comment is true despite my feelings toward Harvard.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:25 pm

Hmm well...I'm taking a diff approach with Yale and sending nothing but positive vibes their way. To each their own! Wishing for a quick JR call for you, but sounds like it's not going to change anything, other than possibly your opinion of HLS.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

lawyering wrote:Hmm well...I'm taking a diff approach with Yale and sending nothing but positive vibes their way. To each their own! Wishing for a quick JR call for you, but sounds like it's not going to change anything, other than possibly your opinion of HLS.

FWIW, I've got nothing but positive things to say about Yale. What a JR2 would do for me is get me to fly to Cambridge and do my due diligence. It'd take a minor miracle to sway me to HLS though.

Nearly all of my distaste for Harvard stems from UG (won't get into it), but I also much prefer the small class sizes of YLS and SLS to the behemoth that is HLS' 1L class.

Oh, and California > East Coast, too.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:30 pm

zanyventer wrote:
treple wrote:HLS students are very different from Harvard undergrads with regard to general douchbaggery.

Harvard UG here. I'd say all the biggest douchebags from all over the country go to HLS to practice the highest form of douchebaggery.

false. harvard UG are usually the bigger douchebags. i am sure you are the exception though :D

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:31 pm

crackberry wrote:
lawyering wrote:Hmm well...I'm taking a diff approach with Yale and sending nothing but positive vibes their way. To each their own! Wishing for a quick JR call for you, but sounds like it's not going to change anything, other than possibly your opinion of HLS.

FWIW, I've got nothing but positive things to say about Yale. What a JR2 would do for me is get me to fly to Cambridge and do my due diligence. It'd take a minor miracle to sway me to HLS though.

Nearly all of my distaste for Harvard stems from UG (won't get into it), but I also much prefer the small class sizes of YLS and SLS to the behemoth that is HLS' 1L class.

I'm pickier about the specific city. For me, Berkeley > NYC > Boston > Palo Alto.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:36 pm

crackberry wrote:

FWIW, assuming you do get in, if you visit with the idea that you're only doing your "due diligence" i guarantee you won't like it. I hope when that time comes, you have somewhat of an open mind...as I am going to try to have an open mind about SLS despite my negative first visit.

skynet

Postby skynet » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:40 pm

lawyering wrote:I'm pickier about the specific city. For me, Berkeley > NYC > Boston > Palo Alto.

Does this put Boalt in the running for you?

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:42 pm

skynet wrote:
lawyering wrote:I'm pickier about the specific city. For me, Berkeley > NYC > Boston > Palo Alto.

Does this put Boalt in the running for you?

It did before my cycle--probably not now. City is only one (and not the biggest) factor in my decision. I thought about calling SLS or HLS and begging them to move to San Fran/Berkeley...sigh.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:43 pm

It's not so much that I love Palo Alto, but more that I love having Yosemite, Tahoe, Big Sur, etc. within a few hours drive. You don't get anything remotely close to that within a day's drive of HLS (the Maine coast is the closest thing and even that is only awesome in the summer, when I likely wouldn't be in Cambridge anyway).
lawyering wrote:FWIW, assuming you do get in, if you visit with the idea that you're only doing your "due diligence" i guarantee you won't like it. I hope when that time comes, you have somewhat of an open mind...as I am going to try to have an open mind about SLS despite my negative first visit.

Yeah, I mean the truth is I love Cambridge and Harvard's campus. It's the people I never really took a liking to. If I get in, I will approach my visit with a clean slate. But I will still be leaning toward SLS.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:47 pm

crackberry wrote:

It's not so much that I love Palo Alto, but more that I love having Yosemite, Tahoe, Big Sur, etc. within a few hours drive. You don't get anything remotely close to that within a day's drive of HLS (the Maine coast is the closest thing and even that is only awesome in the summer, when I likely wouldn't be in Cambridge anyway).

Hahaha. You're very optimistic about how much free time you're going to have while in LS. From what I hear, it's not quite like undergrad...just throwing that out there. I've talked to SLS students who almost never even made it into San Fran, nevermind a few hours away. And from Boston, you can do a LOT better on public transport within 4-8 hours (or by flight in 1-2) than you can from Palo Alto. Providence is 1 hr away. New York is 3.5. Philly and DC are also quite accessible, all via one short flight or train ride. Granted, in winter, I'd much rather be gallavanting around Northern Cali, no question. But who has time for such things anyway? If I want a quick bite to eat, where would I rather be? From what I hear, Palo Alto is BORING.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:56 pm

lawyering wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Hahaha. You're very optimistic about how much free time you're going to have while in LS. From what I hear, it's not quite like undergrad...just throwing that out there. I've talked to SLS students who almost never even made it into San Fran, nevermind a few hours away. And from Boston, you can do a LOT better on public transport within 4-8 hours (or by flight in 1-2) than you can from Palo Alto. Providence is 1 hr away. New York is 3.5. Philly and DC are also quite accessible, all via one short flight or train ride. Granted, in winter, I'd much rather be gallavanting around Northern Cali, no question. But who has time for such things anyway? If I want a quick bite to eat, where would I rather be? From what I hear, Palo Alto is BORING.

Yes, clearly there are more cities clustered closer together near Boston/Cambridge, but the East Coast just doesn't do it for me. I lived in New York my whole life before college and then in DC for a year after graduation. Sure, they're nice in Spring and Fall, but I'm a California boy.

I know LS doesn't offer a lot of free time - at least not during 1L, but I don't plan on working all day Saturday and Sunday every weekend. I'm sure I'll find time to get off campus. It helps me refocus and relax, etc.

No, Palo Alto is not sweet. I spent four years there during undergrad. It's not a great town, but as far as food, it's fine. There aren't fun bars/clubs, but if I really want to let loose one weekend, I can drive to SF. I have plenty of friends who live there.

And San Francisco, FWIW, is my favorite US city.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”