Stanford v. Harvard? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
clevinger33

Bronze

Re: Stanford v. Harvard?

Post by clevinger33 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Errrr... Harvard.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Noticed that S has a lower acceptance rate, and fewer applicants...

What does this imply? What is the quality of the applicant pool? Is this more or less the same people, or do some people apply to one or the other school for specific reasons?

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:03 pm

What if you have an SO coming with you? Obvs depends on the SO, but I would think that in general it would be easier for someone to find interesting work/school opportunities in Boston than Palo Alto. Any west coasters have disconfirming info?

Not needing a car might be another tick in H's column, too.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:32 pm

skynet wrote:What if you have an SO coming with you? Obvs depends on the SO, but I would think that in general it would be easier for someone to find interesting work/school opportunities in Boston than Palo Alto. Any west coasters have disconfirming info?

Totally depends on what the SO does. If she's into tech, you'd be insane not to go to SLS for instance.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:33 pm

skynet wrote:What if you have an SO coming with you? Obvs depends on the SO, but I would think that in general it would be easier for someone to find interesting work/school opportunities in Boston than Palo Alto. Any west coasters have disconfirming info?

Some people who have no desire for the West Coast definitely apply to HLS but not SLS. Also, a lot of people with no shot at either apply to HLS just because they want to say they did and don't want to live the rest of their lives worrying about what might have been. I don't think that phenomenon exists at SLS. It may exist at YLS though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

totalidiot

New

Post by totalidiot » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:36 pm

I decided on SLS over HLS. SLS offered me substantially more money, the educational quality seemed to be better, and the general vibe of the school was better. Even ITE I don't think you can go wrong jobs-wise, although I must admit that I don't know an awful lot about HLS's LRAP....if it's substantively better than SLS's, then I would take that into account.

There are good threads about this--let the search function be thy guide.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:38 pm

crackberry wrote:
Totally depends on what the SO does. If she's into tech, you'd be insane not to go to SLS for instance.

Right, of course. But barring a tech-oriented SO, it sort of seems like Boston offers a wider array of stuff in general. Do you think that impression has any correlation w reality?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:41 pm

CordeliusX wrote:Noticed that S has a lower acceptance rate, and fewer applicants...

What does this imply? What is the quality of the applicant pool? Is this more or less the same people, or do some people apply to one or the other school for specific reasons?
lower acceptance rate is also a product of smaller class size (170 vs 550 i believe).

SLS has a more holistic process while HLS favors high numbers. Since quality is in the eye of the beholder.....if you think quality is determined by soft factors, SLS probably has the better class on average and vice versa for numbers.

I would imagine there are probably quite a few "boring" people at HLS who managed to nail the LSAT and get a huge GPA in undergrad, but don't have many wow factors. At SLS you are probably more likely to be impressed/interested in your classmates, but they probably aren't LSAT monsters (176+).

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:49 pm

englawyer wrote:lower acceptance rate is also a product of smaller class size (170 vs 550 i believe).

SLS has a more holistic process while HLS favors high numbers. Since quality is in the eye of the beholder.....if you think quality is determined by soft factors, SLS probably has the better class on average and vice versa for numbers.

I would imagine there are probably quite a few "boring" people at HLS who managed to nail the LSAT and get a huge GPA in undergrad, but don't have many wow factors. At SLS you are probably more likely to be impressed/interested in your classmates, but they probably aren't LSAT monsters (176+).
Wow this makes SLS sound WAY more awesome than HLS. I approve.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm

skynet wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Right, of course. But barring a tech-oriented SO, it sort of seems like Boston offers a wider array of stuff in general. Do you think that impression has any correlation w reality?
ITE it's possible. California's unemployment is pretty bad. But if the SO has an advanced degree, I don't think it makes any difference. NorCal would also be better than Boston for any sort of finance gig.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm

skynet wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Yes. Without a question the Boston area has many more jobs within a short drive/bus/T ride away. Palo Alto is barely a town. My SO would be working in Berkeley if I went to SLS...and that would not be fun. Even the San Fran to Palo Alto commute isn't really feasible during law school, IMO.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:53 pm

lawyering wrote:Yes. Without a question the Boston area has many more jobs within a short drive/bus/T ride away. Palo Alto is barely a town. My SO would be working in Berkeley if I went to SLS...and that would not be fun. Even the San Fran to Palo Alto commute isn't really feasible during law school, IMO.
It would certainly be feasible for someone working 9-5 though. Or even 8-8 like my roommate (we live in SF, he works in Palo Alto).

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:56 pm

englawyer wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:Noticed that S has a lower acceptance rate, and fewer applicants...

lower acceptance rate is also a product of smaller class size (170 vs 550 i believe).

Don't forget that a number of those SLS admits also get into HLS (among others) and a significant number of them (presumably well-rounded, with great softs, if SLS accepted them, right?) choose Harvard. SLS has a yield of <45%. I honestly haven't made any sort of decision yet and have liked what I've learned about SLS so far but there's a lot of unsubstantiated HLS bashing on this thread. I have been very impressed with HLS and have had a lot more contact with it than most 0Ls.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:57 pm

crackberry wrote:
lawyering wrote:Yes. Without a question the Boston area has many more jobs within a short drive/bus/T ride away. Palo Alto is barely a town. My SO would be working in Berkeley if I went to SLS...and that would not be fun. Even the San Fran to Palo Alto commute isn't really feasible during law school, IMO.
It would certainly be feasible for someone working 9-5 though. Or even 8-8 like my roommate (we live in SF, he works in Palo Alto).
Yes, but we'd have to live in San Fran and each commute (one to Berk, one to PA). OR my SO would have to commute from PA to Berk. Which sucks no matter what the hours are.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:03 pm

lawyering wrote:
englawyer wrote:

Don't forget that a number of those SLS admits also get into HLS (among others) and a significant number of them (presumably well-rounded, with great softs, if SLS accepted them, right?) choose Harvard. SLS has a yield of <45%. I honestly haven't made any sort of decision yet and have liked what I've learned about SLS so far but there's a lot of unsubstantiated HLS bashing on this thread. I have been very impressed with HLS and have had a lot more contact with it than most 0Ls.
I have no doubt that many at HLS have the "whole package" and got into both HLS and SLS. But HLS seems to admit almost anyone with a 175/3.9+. That HAS to have some consequences, as I can't imagine every single one of those people have remarkable softs.

I was careful to say "on average" because HLS surely has quite a number of very impressive people. just look at that guy in the viewbook (if you have been admitted, you know the one I am talking about lol)

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:09 pm

Harvard is a TTT degree mill.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:13 pm

To clarify, I actually think Harvard is better overall. The large class size is a plus for me, and the reputation (both in the legal world and lay prestige) is amazing. I was just saying that based on the admissions criteria, I have to imagine that there has to be a substantial portion of Harvard that got in based on numbers and numbers alone (provided the rest of the app was passable of course).

I also think that is a good thing in a way because soft-factors can be kinda wishy-washy and someone that is not "in the know" could easily get locked out of the top three unwittingly. It is nice to know the law school universe has a place for uber-smart ambitious people that didn't build out a great softs profile.

But if you want to meet someone who is a published author or something, it is more likely your classmate is that at SLS or YLS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:14 pm

crackberry wrote:Harvard is a TTT degree mill.
lol

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:06 pm

What, if anything, could tempt you away from these options? Full ride at Chicago?

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:09 pm

skynet wrote:What, if anything, could tempt you away from these options? Full ride at Chicago?

Yale. :D But I have to get in first... (so unlikely...)

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:16 pm

crackberry wrote:Harvard is a TTT degree mill.
That's what I love about it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:05 pm

i feel confident that H has on balance a stronger class from a pure academic/intellectual standpoint. which is a huge draw for me. stanford's numerical admission profile is comparatively unimpressive, lagging behind even CLS. granted, in exchange SLS has a very high "softs median," and so you'll find more people who have more impressive accomplishments in the real world, and perhaps have more interesting stories to tell. but from a raw intellect standpoint it seems the typical HLS student is on a higher level. and at this point in my life that's a bigger selling point to me

HLS in a heartbeat if i had the choice

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:11 pm

GargamelITT wrote:i feel confident that H has on balance a stronger class from a pure academic/intellectual standpoint. which is a huge draw for me. stanford's numerical admission profile is comparatively unimpressive, lagging behind even CLS. granted, in exchange SLS has a very high "softs median," and so you'll find more people who have more impressive accomplishments in the real world, and perhaps have more interesting stories to tell. but from a raw intellect standpoint it seems the typical HLS student is on a higher level. and at this point in my life that's a bigger selling point to me
If you believe that LSAT score correlates strongly with "raw intellect," then your reasoning makes sense. But I question your premise. I have no first-hand experience, but my impression is that SLS is at least as intellectual an environment as HLS.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:13 pm

GargamelITT wrote:i feel confident that H has on balance a stronger class from a pure academic/intellectual standpoint. which is a huge draw for me. stanford's [strike]numerical admission profile[/strike] LSAT median is comparatively unimpressive, lagging behind even CLS. granted, in exchange SLS has a very high "softs median," and so you'll find more people who have more impressive accomplishments in the real world, and perhaps have more interesting stories to tell. but from a raw intellect standpoint it seems the typical HLS student is on a higher level. and at this point in my life that's a bigger selling point to me

HLS in a heartbeat if i had the choice
Fixed. Stanford's GPA numbers are at least equal to Harvard's and better than any other school's except Yale (and way better than Columbia's).

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Dignan wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:i feel confident that H has on balance a stronger class from a pure academic/intellectual standpoint. which is a huge draw for me. stanford's numerical admission profile is comparatively unimpressive, lagging behind even CLS. granted, in exchange SLS has a very high "softs median," and so you'll find more people who have more impressive accomplishments in the real world, and perhaps have more interesting stories to tell. but from a raw intellect standpoint it seems the typical HLS student is on a higher level. and at this point in my life that's a bigger selling point to me
If you believe that LSAT score correlates strongly with "raw intellect," then your reasoning makes sense. But I question your premise.
i do believe that.
specifically in the context of people with very high GPAs (as is the case at both schools) i'd bet there's a particularly strong correlation. here you have a self-selecting group of people who are high classroom achievers and (likely) very hard workers. if you're ending up at H or S, it's a pretty good bet you did everything you could to max out your LSAT score. nobody's taking the LSAT carelessly and ending up in HYS, or at least i'd suspect that's quite rare. so you have people hitting their LSAT ceilings, some of which are significantly higher than others. you can train yourself to the test, but strong cognitive capacity certainly is a necessary condition for a very high LSAT score

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”