Windsor/Detroit Mercy Jd/llb Program- Pros and cons?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Royal68

Windsor/Detroit Mercy Jd/llb Program- Pros and cons?

Postby Royal68 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:26 pm

the opportunity to get both a canadian law degree and a jd. It almost sounds too good to be true.. anyone???

JayTal

Re: Windsor/Detroit Mercy Jd/llb Program- Pros and cons?

Postby JayTal » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Well...as someone from Michigan...you'd have to live in Detroit, and Widsor is overrun by underage college students that come from MI but are too young to drink.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Just a heads up- Michigan State has this same program aligned with U of Ottawa. Donno your #'s but the Dean at Michigan State told me you had to be accepted to both schools. MSU is ranked much higher than UDM (and Ottawa much higher than Windsor in the nation's capital) and you'll be paying the same tuition.

Royal68

Postby Royal68 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:36 pm

they actually said that most students tend to live in Windsor because its cheaper... but what about career prospects. with the economy as it is.. wouldnt this give the potential law student the extra edge

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Too good to be true? Why? After getting the degree, you will have to get a job in one country or the other, and will continue your career from there, so there is really no use to having both. In addition, to become a lawyer in Canada you need the degree, plus a 9/10 month "articling" period which is like a paid internship before you become a lawyer. So its not like you could work in the US for a while, then go up to Canada and rely on that Canadian degree to start as a lawyer right away.

If you want to go to Canada, go to Canadian law school (and take advantage of the automatic visa for people who graduate from Canadian schools, which I'm not sure that you would get with this dual degree). If you want to work in US, get just the JD, and if you want to go to Canada later rely on your post -JD accomplishments to get you a lateral transfer into Canada, although you'd have to pass the bar there too. To me as a dual US/Canadian citizen it just seems useless. Best just to pick one country and stick to that.

hugoboss

Postby hugoboss » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:41 pm

yes pattymac they do have it. ubc has one with hawaii. york has one with nyu (probably a "fair bit" harder to get into than udm).
MSU is also very generous giving out scholarships if you have over 160.
if you want to work in canada, don't do it. It's an extra year you don't need for anything. If you want to work in the states for a few years and maybe Canada when you're older, or vice versa the program may work. But if you know where you are going to work after, there's no point in going for 4 years.

Royal68

Postby Royal68 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:43 pm

The curiculum is based mostly around business (m&a..etc) So wouldn that be great for cross border transactions as far as trade between u.s and canada is concerned.... thats what im thinking

Royal68

Postby Royal68 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm

its a 3 year program... Tuition is not over 35k for both schools combined.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:38 am

I can promise you that you will NOT want to live in Windsor. Think Detroit it "bad"? Windsor is 100000000000x worse.

skamike

Postby skamike » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:41 pm

pattymac wrote:I can promise you that you will NOT want to live in Windsor. Think Detroit it "bad"? Windsor is 100000000000x worse.

I'm going to have to disagree. Windsor is NOT worse than detroit living-wise. It's just your typical small city. There are good spots and bad spots, just like any other place. Nothing to brag about, but also nothing really to hate. It's small, that's about it.

skamike

Postby skamike » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:43 pm

regarding the OP, I don't know if you want a Windsor law degree. It's not considered the most portable degree, and it's the least respected in Ontario amongst firms. It has its good points, don't get me wrong, but unless you are keen on social justice, I would set your sights higher.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:50 pm

If you really want a dual degree get the Osgoode/NYU one, both schools are top schools in their country. While Windsor isn't a terrible school and it places really well, it's the bottom feeder of the Toronto market behind U of T, Ozzy, UWO and Queens.

Detroit Mercy... is well... just that.

RebelRebel

Postby RebelRebel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:17 pm

crazycanuck wrote:If you really want a dual degree get the Osgoode/NYU one, both schools are top schools in their country. While Windsor isn't a terrible school and it places really well, it's the bottom feeder of the Toronto market behind U of T, Ozzy, UWO and Queens.

Detroit Mercy... is well... just that.

I think that for most people, if their numbers allowed them to get into either school, there would be no debate. But the GPA requirements to get into most Cdn law schools are ridiculously high. If your GPA is lower than 3.5, you need to score in the 99% on your LSAT which would get you into the top 25 American law schools with a 3.0 GPA. Hell, one could probably get a scholarship in good T1 schools with those numbers...

I am also looking at MSU's duall degree program in order to get into UofO through the backdoor. I would have no interest in staying in Michigan and MSU's degree is not portable. It is of course a huge gamble. To my understanding, you attend MSU for 2 years and the UofO the the other two. After your first year in Ottawa, you gain your JD from MSU.

Does anyone have info, I think that you need to be in the top 50% of the class?
Last edited by RebelRebel on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:19 pm

pattymac wrote:Just a heads up- Michigan State has this same program aligned with U of Ottawa. Donno your #'s but the Dean at Michigan State told me you had to be accepted to both schools. MSU is ranked much higher than UDM (and Ottawa much higher than Windsor in the nation's capital) and you'll be paying the same tuition.

Not really... UDM is t4. MSU is T3.

Sometimes more isnt better. Just get 1 GOOD degree instead of 2 bad ones.

serdog

Postby serdog » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:11 am

If you want to do a joint program I would recomend stay away from Winsor/Mercy
1) Mercy is the worst school to offer a joint program with Canadian school
2) Well there are no truly bad Canada law schools Windsor is well not well regarded
if you are interested in a Canadian/American JD UBC and Ottawa are better school partnered with better schools

Return to “Choosing a Law School”