Berkeley Haters Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
im_blue

Gold

Re: Berkeley Haters

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 pm

fortissimo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
los blancos wrote:
fortissimo wrote:Midwest

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Michigan
Notre Dame
lulz @ Michigan or Notre Dame being held above UChicago and Northwestern in the Midwest
To be fair if we are talking lay prestige nobody knows what UChicago is, even in Chicago.

Its really embarrassing. Though anyone who knows much about academics really places a high value on UChicago. But said person would then look down at ND for being overrated.
+1 I've heard that UChicago is oftentimes confused with the University of Illinois at Chicago, particularly by those in Chicago. I guess the Galllup poll proves it.
I know UofC students hate it when lay people and even other college students think they go to UIC (the local TTT). The disparity is much greater than Penn vs Penn State.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:14 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Yeah, ranovr, I've got news for you: if you can't write, you'll make a terrible lawyer.
Hey crackberry I've got news for you.................

I CAN
Ranovr, you must love this talk about how little prestige UofC has huh?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:19 pm

im_blue wrote:
fortissimo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
los blancos wrote:
lulz @ Michigan or Notre Dame being held above UChicago and Northwestern in the Midwest
To be fair if we are talking lay prestige nobody knows what UChicago is, even in Chicago.

Its really embarrassing. Though anyone who knows much about academics really places a high value on UChicago. But said person would then look down at ND for being overrated.
+1 I've heard that UChicago is oftentimes confused with the University of Illinois at Chicago, particularly by those in Chicago. I guess the Galllup poll proves it.
I know UofC students who hate it when lay people and even other college students think they go to UIC (the local TTT).
Attention UofC students and alumi, get ready for me to use this joke every time we meet from now until forever.

quetzalcoatl

Bronze

Post by quetzalcoatl » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:16 pm

im_blue wrote:I know UofC students hate it when lay people and even other college students think they go to UIC (the local TTT). The disparity is much greater than Penn vs Penn State.
No one knows anything about U of C law in texas. I told a kid in my class (who is applying to law school by the way, but an idiot) that U of C was my top target school and he told me I should look into U of Houston b/c he heard that "prestige is real important for getting a good job in law". I didnt feel like wasting my time explaining myself.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:17 pm

quetzalcoatl wrote:
im_blue wrote:I know UofC students hate it when lay people and even other college students think they go to UIC (the local TTT). The disparity is much greater than Penn vs Penn State.
No one knows anything about U of C law in texas. I told a kid in my class (who is applying to law school by the way, but an idiot) that U of C was my top target school and he told me I should look into U of Houston b/c he heard that "prestige is real important for getting a good job in law". I didnt feel like wasting my time explaining myself.
Yeah you run into idiots everywhere who think you should attend the local TTT because he knows lots of "prestigious lawyers" from there, i.e. his friends and family.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:40 pm

crackberry wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Yeah, ranovr, I've got news for you: if you can't write, you'll make a terrible lawyer.

I CAN
AHAHAHA no I'm not sweating it, hence the lack of defensive posts. I know outside of this thread where the non-kool aid drinkers reside the proper order of prestige is HYS CCN.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:46 pm

I didn't even know that the University of Chicago existed / was good at anything until I started applying for law school. If you asked 100 people what was a more prestigious school, UofC or Duke, I bet 70 would say Duke.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:48 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

I CAN
AHAHAHA no I'm not sweating it, hence the lack of defensive posts. I know outside of this thread where the non-kool aid drinkers reside the proper order of prestige is HYS CCN.
On TLS and in the legal community? Sure. In the real world, absolutely not. Neither UofC nor NYU have any prestige in the real world.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:49 pm

Kronk wrote:I didn't even know that the University of Chicago existed / was good at anything until I started applying for law school. If you asked 100 people what was a more prestigious school, UofC or Duke, I bet 70 would say Duke.
And now you're going there apparently.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Kronk wrote:I didn't even know that the University of Chicago existed / was good at anything until I started applying for law school. If you asked 100 people what was a more prestigious school, UofC or Duke, I bet 70 would say Duke.
I'd say more like 90 would pick Duke. The 10 who picked Chicago live in the Midwest.
Last edited by im_blue on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 pm

crackberry wrote:
Holding out hope that HYS will accept me or that Berkeley will match my UChi scholly, but yes. I am pretty hyped on one of their clinics.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Anyone with a graduate education knows UChicago is a great school. It's just that there aren't too many people who do. That's why I said 70 would pick Duke. The other thirty would be people that went to some sort of grad school or research prestigious undergrads enough to know that UChi is legit.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:58 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Holding out hope that HYS will accept me or that Berkeley will match my UChi scholly, but yes. I am pretty hyped on one of their clinics.
Money being equal, is BoalTTT > UIUC?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:01 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Money being equal, is BoalTTT > UIUC?
I don't really know at this point. Probably--if only due to weather and my SO--but that's a pretty tough choice. I am going to visit both and hopefully that will make it more clear.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:Money being equal, is BoalTTT > UIUC?
I don't really know at this point. Probably--if only due to weather and my SO--but that's a pretty tough choice. I am going to visit both and hopefully that will make it more clear.
Well you can't really go wrong. They're both very strong regional schools.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:04 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:Money being equal, is BoalTTT > UIUC?
Well you can't really go wrong. They're both very strong regional schools.
You sonofabitch ;)

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 pm

if you dont go to HYS, you are scum of society, lock thread

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:10 pm

$1.99 wrote:if you dont go to HYS, you are scum of society, lock thread
So true.

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:56 pm

crackberry wrote:
I happen to live in the south and attend an ACC school, Duke is the shit down here. I got into both Duke and CHI, and before applying (I didn't think I would be able to pull it off crackberry to your delight) I was targeting Boalt and Duke. Most people do think Duke is better if they aren't running in elite circles, academia, etc. Although I do have to say during a lot of my internships the U of Chicago kids always got the best jobs. Wall ST loves Chicago too you know (not as much as Harvard and Penn obviously), not just law firms.

ps crackberry...... BURN
pss I like your style though lol

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:24 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
I happen to live in the south and attend an ACC school, Duke is the shit down here. I got into both Duke and CHI, and before applying (I didn't think I would be able to pull it off crackberry to your delight) I was targeting Boalt and Duke. Most people do think Duke is better if they aren't running in elite circles, academia, etc. Although I do have to say during a lot of my internships the U of Chicago kids always got the best jobs. Wall ST loves Chicago too you know (not as much as Harvard and Penn obviously), not just law firms.

ps crackberry...... BURN
Not sure how this is a burn on/to/for me.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:26 pm

In spite of all the trolling in this thread...
Despite the fact that even most Midwesterners don't know what Chicago is, I would choose Chicago over Berkeley at equal cost because I do think it's a better law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:30 pm

crackberry wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:
crackberry wrote:

ps crackberry...... BURN
Not sure how this is a burn on/to/for me.
Oh i should of added the rest which would be

IN HELL

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:04 am

crackberry wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:I'm not saying Berkeley sucks, I'm just saying its overhyped and oversold. Berkeley's pretty nice, but not hands down the best place ever. At the end of the day, there are great things to be said about living in NY, Chicago, DC, and Boston. There are great things to be said about schools located in San Francisco, which Berkeley is not. But for certain people, it isn't even a question worth exploring: Could there be some value in leaving your nest in California and living in another major metropolitan city for a couple years? It is as if berkeley lovers have joined some kind of cult and can't be reasoned with. ITT, for example, 2/3 of berkeley's favorable arguments go like this: <3 [end rationale].
No, of course Berkeley isn't the greatest place ever, but - putting aside law schools - I'd rather live in Berkeley than New Haven, Cambridge, Palo Alto, Hyde Park, Ann Arbor, Charlottesville or Philly. Really, Berkeley is in the coolest town of any T10 law school except NYU and Columbia.

Berkeley is way closer to SF than Yale is to New York, closer to SF than UofC/Northwestern are to cool parts of Chicago, just as close to SF as Harvard is to Boston, etc.
Wrong on the bolded part. NULaw is right by Michigan Avenue and the heart of downtown Chicago, right off Lake Michigan. The best stores are there, as are clubs, bars, restaurants, swanky hotels, shops, galleries, and basically anything else you would want/need. NU's location is about as ideal as you can get. And it's just blocks away from Loyola Law, near parks, ideal for transit...everything.
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:15 am

PDaddy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:I'm not saying Berkeley sucks, I'm just saying its overhyped and oversold. Berkeley's pretty nice, but not hands down the best place ever. At the end of the day, there are great things to be said about living in NY, Chicago, DC, and Boston. There are great things to be said about schools located in San Francisco, which Berkeley is not. But for certain people, it isn't even a question worth exploring: Could there be some value in leaving your nest in California and living in another major metropolitan city for a couple years? It is as if berkeley lovers have joined some kind of cult and can't be reasoned with. ITT, for example, 2/3 of berkeley's favorable arguments go like this: <3 [end rationale].
No, of course Berkeley isn't the greatest place ever, but - putting aside law schools - I'd rather live in Berkeley than New Haven, Cambridge, Palo Alto, Hyde Park, Ann Arbor, Charlottesville or Philly. Really, Berkeley is in the coolest town of any T10 law school except NYU and Columbia.

Berkeley is way closer to SF than Yale is to New York, closer to SF than UofC/Northwestern are to cool parts of Chicago, just as close to SF as Harvard is to Boston, etc.
Wrong on the bolded part. NULaw is right by Michigan Avenue and the heart of downtown Chicago, right off Lake Michigan.
Crackberry corrected himself two posts or so later. And this was over a month ago, I think. C'mon.

WellNow

New

Post by WellNow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 am

PDaddy, have you lived in Chicago long? There is no nightlife on Michigan Avenue, just tourist bars. Chicago is an awesome city and NW Law is in in a great location, but not because of nightlife. You need to to get past clark and division before the nightlife becomes worth a damn.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”