Berkeley Haters

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby ravens20 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:41 pm

rayiner wrote:
NYC is full of hippies, bankers, artists, foreigners, and all sorts of other unsavory people.


rayiner wrote:As for New York versus Chicago:

New York has more of the stuff common people don't care about: art, culture, etc.
Chicago has less of the stuff that common people dislike: intellectuals, artists, foreigners, etc, and more of the stuff they do: sausage, deep dish pizza, etc.


Boo on the not-so-subtle racism. If those are what the "common" people are like in Chicago, then all the more power to New York City.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:44 pm

Oh yeah, that's another thing: NYC has more ethnic and racial diversity than any other city in the US - by far. Granted, Chicago is certainly more heterogeneous than the rest of the Midwest, solely by virtue of being a major city, but it doesn't hold a candle to NYC in that respect.

Diversity FTW.

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby ravens20 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:54 pm

crackberry wrote:Oh yeah, that's another thing: NYC has more ethnic and racial diversity than any other city in the US - by far. Granted, Chicago is certainly more heterogeneous than the rest of the Midwest, solely by virtue of being a major city, but it doesn't hold a candle to NYC in that respect.

Diversity FTW.


Absolutely, there is something beautiful to seeing so many cultures and hearing so many languages every day. Having spent the last four years of my life in Virginia, that is something that I miss.

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby ughOSU » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:20 am

crackberry wrote:I am basing many of my generalizations about Chicago off three friends who live there who won't shut up about how awesome Chicago is and how it is so much better than New York. Never mind that two of them have never been to New York.

Just curious, but have you ever been to chicago?

fwiw, I love all these cities being mentioned (Bay Area, Chi-town, NYC, DC, Boston, Austin, Portland, etc...). I would be happy to live in any of these places.

Also, this thread is ridiculously off topic... Back to Berkeley: My dad graduated from Penn Law, and when I told him that Berkeley was ranked ahead of Penn he spat his food up laughing.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7110
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:33 am

ughOSU wrote:Also, this thread is ridiculously off topic... Back to Berkeley: My dad graduated from Penn Law, and when I told him that Berkeley was ranked ahead of Penn he spat his food up laughing.


Tell him Penn's ahead of Michigan. See if he's surprised. If he isn't, then his perceptions are just based on school loyalty.


And to add to the cities debate: I think Atlanta is very underrated. One reason why I like Duke so much is that it places well there.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby Dignan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:18 am

ughOSU wrote:
Also, this thread is ridiculously off topic... Back to Berkeley: My dad graduated from Penn Law, and when I told him that Berkeley was ranked ahead of Penn he spat his food up laughing.

Huh. I work with a 50-yo guy who graduated from Penn Law. He went to Penn after getting rejected by Boalt in the early 80s, and he definitely thinks that Berkeley>Penn. There may have been a time when Penn was more highly regarded than Berkeley, but that was probably several decades ago. (For the record, I think of them as peer schools.)
Last edited by Dignan on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby ravens20 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:20 am

With regards to the original point of this thread, why would anyone hate on Berkeley? Its students are focused on a market that most from the T14 are not targeting, its students rarely troll against other schools (unlike students from other MVPB schools that often seem to), it's arguably the best overall public school in the country, and the creator of this site went there for law school.

Honestly, aside from this thread (which kind of invited them), I can't say that I've seen too many (any?) Berkeley haters.
Last edited by ravens20 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7110
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:35 am

Dignan wrote:(For the record, I think of them as peer schools.)


+1. For me it goes:
HYS
CC
MVPNBDN
CG+UCLA+UT-Austin

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7110
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:35 am

ravens20 wrote:(unlike students from other MVPB schools that often seem to)


So I'm not the only one who thinks UVa is overrated on this site? I don't know, maybe it's just a flawed perception on my part since UVa isn't very high on my list.

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby ravens20 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:03 am

boilercat wrote:
ravens20 wrote:(unlike students from other MVPB schools that often seem to)


So I'm not the only one who thinks UVa is overrated on this site? I don't know, maybe it's just a flawed perception on my part since UVa isn't very high on my list.


I don't think UVA is overrated at all...not one bit...I think it deserves its rank 100 percent. Just that students from UVa, and to a lesser degree Michigan, tend to make posts on TLS disparaging other schools and trolling for their own schools. Common examples include putting MVPB significantly above DCNG or putting down one or all of CCN (usually by asserting that NYU is part of the MVPB category). Now I'm not saying that these assertions are necessarily wrong (hell they might be right) but the trolling in unrelated threads can be annoying. Not to mention that the argument can just as easily be made that Duke or NU are as good as those schools or that NYU is better overall than them by virtue of biglaw placement. So my point was not that UVA or Michigan are overrated but that they tend to have lots of trolls invading other threads and tearing down other schools, while building their own schools up. I haven't noticed that as much with Berkeley students, which is why I posted that I don't see why people would hate on it.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:38 am

The amount of pro-UVA trolling on TLS is actually frightening.

And to the above poster asking if I've ever been to Chicago: yes, I have. Many times.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby fortissimo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:15 am

-
Last edited by fortissimo on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
big_blue79
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby big_blue79 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:40 am

Whoever said diversity is overrated as a desirable trait is absolutely correct in reference to the population as a whole.

Chicago is amazing. San Francisco is pretty good. New York - haven't been since I was about 4, so I'll defer. However, New Yorkers, as a whole, are like hot chicks in that their entire reality is compromised by their sense of self-awesome. San Franciscans are the jealous girl. And Chicagoans are the cute chick that likes sports.

The correct answer to all this is Las Vegas, but UNLV blows...

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby ughOSU » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:38 am

Dingan and boilercat, thanks for proving that a comment like that would upset people.


Penn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MVB

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby Doritos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:57 am

crackberry wrote:The amount of pro-UVA trolling on TLS is actually frightening.

And to the above poster asking if I've ever been to Chicago: yes, I have. Many times.



That's because it's only the greatest law school of all time. I predict it overtaking Yale by 2013. and ughosu, Penn would be Ok if you didn't have to live in such a TTTT town like Philadelphia. Philadelphia is Pennsylvania's 2nd best city...Pittsburgh's retarded cousin. :shock: :mrgreen:

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby ughOSU » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:46 am

Doritos wrote:
crackberry wrote:The amount of pro-UVA trolling on TLS is actually frightening.

And to the above poster asking if I've ever been to Chicago: yes, I have. Many times.



That's because it's only the greatest law school of all time. I predict it overtaking Yale by 2013. and ughosu, Penn would be Ok if you didn't have to live in such a TTTT town like Philadelphia. Philadelphia is Pennsylvania's 2nd best city...Pittsburgh's retarded cousin. :shock: :mrgreen:

oh come on! that's just wrong.

but seriously, I've spent enought time outside of philly to know that it's a dump. That said, I still like it, and am pumped about going back.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby Dignan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 am

ughOSU wrote:Dingan and boilercat, thanks for proving that a comment like that would upset people.


Who is upset? The only person described here who sounds upset is your Dad.
Last edited by Dignan on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby ughOSU » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:16 pm

Dignan wrote:
ughOSU wrote:Dingan and boilercat, thanks for proving that a comment like that would upset people.


Who is upset? The only person described here who sounds upset is your Dad.

NO, YOU'RE UPSET!!!!

I honestly don't even really know what point I was trying to make. I would choose Penn over Berk for many reasons (some personal), possibly unless it were cheaper to attend Berk. I will probably not get into Berk, so I will likely not have that choice to make. Basically, I just think Penn pulls a lot more weight in the major law centers of NYC and DC, and that Berk is going to fall some in the rankings because their insane tuition will drive away some of the more qualified people Berk used to attract. That said, Berkeley is still a great school.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7110
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:45 pm

ughOSU wrote:
Dignan wrote:
ughOSU wrote:Dingan and boilercat, thanks for proving that a comment like that would upset people.


Who is upset? The only person described here who sounds upset is your Dad.

NO, YOU'RE UPSET!!!!

I honestly don't even really know what point I was trying to make. I would choose Penn over Berk for many reasons (some personal), possibly unless it were cheaper to attend Berk. I will probably not get into Berk, so I will likely not have that choice to make. Basically, I just think Penn pulls a lot more weight in the major law centers of NYC and DC, and that Berk is going to fall some in the rankings because their insane tuition will drive away some of the more qualified people Berk used to attract. That said, Berkeley is still a great school.



These are valid reasons to say Penn > Berk.

(and in case it wasn't clear, I asked earlier about Penn vs Mich because it seems to be the general consensus that Michigan definitely has more prestige with the legal establishment)

Personally, I would choose whichever school of MVPD gave me the most $$$.

sandy10
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby sandy10 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:57 pm

ravens20 wrote:
boilercat wrote:
ravens20 wrote:(unlike students from other MVPB schools that often seem to)


So I'm not the only one who thinks UVa is overrated on this site? I don't know, maybe it's just a flawed perception on my part since UVa isn't very high on my list.


I don't think UVA is overrated at all...not one bit...I think it deserves its rank 100 percent. Just that students from UVa, and to a lesser degree Michigan, tend to make posts on TLS disparaging other schools and trolling for their own schools. Common examples include putting MVPB significantly above DCNG or putting down one or all of CCN (usually by asserting that NYU is part of the MVPB category). Now I'm not saying that these assertions are necessarily wrong (hell they might be right) but the trolling in unrelated threads can be annoying. Not to mention that the argument can just as easily be made that Duke or NU are as good as those schools or that NYU is better overall than them by virtue of biglaw placement. So my point was not that UVA or Michigan are overrated but that they tend to have lots of trolls invading other threads and tearing down other schools, while building their own schools up. I haven't noticed that as much with Berkeley students, which is why I posted that I don't see why people would hate on it.


As a lurker that's the vibe I get from NYU students (and to a lesser extent Cornell). It seems a lot of NYU people troll a lot by constantly asserting how their school is just as strong as Chicago and Columbia, and how it is clearly in another tier/league than Michigan, UVA, or Berkeley. They always tear down other schools by talking about how they are "top 6" or "top 5" and making up groupings like "HYSCCN" etc. I've never really understood this as they are basically just the NYC focused version of Michigan, UVA, or Boalt: their peer schools to anyone who doesn't take all their ideas of schools from US News.

I've noticed that many of them will say things like "Well NYC is the best place in the world and the best market, so the fact that NYU does well there makes it better than those other schools". I never really understood this considering how easy it is to break into NYC, and especially since there are two highly desirable markets that are a good deal more selective (Cali and DC) than NYC. In addition, many of the top students at HYS flock to DC ( a good sign that NYC is not neccesarily the "best" market, whatever that even means), it's just as elite and desirable (if not more so) market as NYC. NYC is basically a non option for those interested in top litigation and a lot of top government jobs, not to mention top IP jobs.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby Doritos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:00 pm

ughOSU wrote:
Doritos wrote:
crackberry wrote:The amount of pro-UVA trolling on TLS is actually frightening.

And to the above poster asking if I've ever been to Chicago: yes, I have. Many times.



That's because it's only the greatest law school of all time. I predict it overtaking Yale by 2013. and ughosu, Penn would be Ok if you didn't have to live in such a TTTT town like Philadelphia. Philadelphia is Pennsylvania's 2nd best city...Pittsburgh's retarded cousin. :shock: :mrgreen:

oh come on! that's just wrong.

but seriously, I've spent enought time outside of philly to know that it's a dump. That said, I still like it, and am pumped about going back.


I do like it's always sunny though. and i was kidding I've never been to Philly. Though I would like an authentic cheesesteak. Hold the cheese of course since I hate cheese.

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby ughOSU » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 pm

boilercat wrote:These are valid reasons to say Penn > Berk.

(and in case it wasn't clear, I asked earlier about Penn vs Mich because it seems to be the general consensus that Michigan definitely has more prestige with the legal establishment)

Personally, I would choose whichever school of MVPD gave me the most $$$.

That's definetely a good strategy, and one I may end up going for. However, I would guess that if you get money from one of those schools, you can get other schools in that tier to match it. Also, you may be right about Michigan having more traditional prestige than Penn, but there are a couple other factors that would make me think Penn>Mich ITE. (1) located in a large legal market, and right between the two biggest legal markets in the country, and (2) size: I think smaller schools suffer proportianately less in poor hiring situations because firms have a vested interest in maintaining relationships with elite schools. Other than that, it's all personal preference, which also pushes me toward Penn.

A couple more points about why Berk is suffering disproportianately ITE: (1) it's on the west coast, (2) their curve is ridiculous, and they aren't good enough to not grade students. They seem to have a Yale delusion that no one else is buying in to. [/flame]

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby ughOSU » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Doritos wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
Doritos wrote:
crackberry wrote:The amount of pro-UVA trolling on TLS is actually frightening.

And to the above poster asking if I've ever been to Chicago: yes, I have. Many times.



That's because it's only the greatest law school of all time. I predict it overtaking Yale by 2013. and ughosu, Penn would be Ok if you didn't have to live in such a TTTT town like Philadelphia. Philadelphia is Pennsylvania's 2nd best city...Pittsburgh's retarded cousin. :shock: :mrgreen:

oh come on! that's just wrong.

but seriously, I've spent enought time outside of philly to know that it's a dump. That said, I still like it, and am pumped about going back.


I do like it's always sunny though. and i was kidding I've never been to Philly. Though I would like an authentic cheesesteak. Hold the cheese of course since I hate cheese.

I really only take exception to the 2nd city in PA thing. Pittsburgh blows. I hope you're kidding when you say hold the cheese. You may get shot if you try to order that at Pat's.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:18 pm

You know what? Pittsburgh is actually kinda awesome. Wouldn't want to work there, but it's a great, livable, and fun city.

User avatar
James Bond
Posts: 2349
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

Re: Berkeley Haters

Postby James Bond » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Pittsburgh > Philthadelphia

and pittsburgh isn't that cool either, which should tell you something




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests