Berkeley Haters Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
los blancos

Platinum

Re: Berkeley Haters

Post by los blancos » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:37 am

fortissimo wrote:In spite of all the trolling in this thread...
Despite the fact that even most Midwesterners don't know what Chicago is, I would choose Chicago over Berkeley at equal cost because I do think it's a better law school.
You're entitled to that opinion, and I think most people would agree with you.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:53 am

WellNow wrote:PDaddy, have you lived in Chicago long? There is no nightlife on Michigan Avenue, just tourist bars. Chicago is an awesome city and NW Law is in in a great location, but not because of nightlife. You need to to get past clark and division before the nightlife becomes worth a damn.
Fair enough. But it's close to what you need. But everything else I said is true. NULaw is in an awsome location. And what isn't right on the doorstep is not too far away. It also depends on what you consider nightlife. I don't just go to bars. Rush Street is cool, and that's where the bars are. The hotels on or near Michigan Ave always have something going on. The bar scene really isn't my thing. I like "lounges", as in hotel lounges, where you meet really young, rich, beautiful yuppie women who aren't falling all over themselves drunk and letting random guys bang on them. Michigan Ave is where you meet those types. But you're right, the real bar and club scene isn't necessarily "on" Michigan Ave.

And let's not forget Lincoln Park, which is one of the hippest areas for nightlife in the city and easy to get to from downtown. But again, that's the bar and pub scene. I have to be in the modd for that.
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:57 am

los blancos wrote:
Despite the fact that even most Midwesterners don't know what Chicago is, I would choose Chicago over Berkeley at equal cost because I do think it's a better law school.
I'm not sure most people would agree. Berkeley's yield's rate is 34%; Chicago's yield rate is 25%. And, though Chicago tends to put a little more emphasis on LSAT score while Berkeley prefers GPA, there is a lot of overlap between the acceptance pools of the two schools.

If you start flipping through LSN profiles of past years, you'll see a lot of applicants choosing Berkeley over Chicago. In fact, the founder of this site chose Berkeley over Chicago after visiting the latter and learning that it's "where fun goes to die."

I'm not positive that most people would choose Berkeley over Chicago if given the chance, but I think the question is at least close.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 am

Dignan wrote:
los blancos wrote:
I'm not sure most people would agree. Berkeley's yield's rate is 34%; Chicago's yield rate is 25%. And, though Chicago tends to put a little more emphasis on LSAT score while Berkeley prefers GPA, there is a lot of overlap between the acceptance pools of the two schools.

If you start flipping through LSN profiles of past years, you'll see a lot of applicants choosing Berkeley over Chicago. In fact, the founder of this site chose Berkeley over Chicago after visiting the latter and learning that it's "where fun goes to die."

I'm not positive that most people would choose Berkeley over Chicago if given the chance, but I think the question is at least close.
Don't get me wrong, if I had to make this choice it would be Berkeley a million times over, but that's due to a lot of personal factors. I think Chicago's big law/academia/clerkship placement is too good to justify choosing Berkeley, ceteris paribus.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:19 am

los blancos wrote:
Dignan wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Don't get me wrong, if I had to make this choice it would be Berkeley a million times over, but that's due to a lot of personal factors. I think Chicago's big law/academia/clerkship placement is too good to justify choosing Berkeley, ceteris paribus.
There's definitely something to that argument. Depending on one's interests, many people (possibly including me, incidentally) should choose Chicago over Berkeley. I was just doubting the claim that most people would choose Chicago over Berkeley. I don't think the evidence supports it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:30 am

los blancos wrote:
Probably, at least just judging based off the interquartile ranges.

I don't think there are that many cross-admits to really base anything off yield though. Chicago probably just accepts a different group of applicants (i.e. more that get into HYS). Berkeley's median GPA is 168 and its 25th 164, while last year and before its median was 167 or less. Most of the other top 14s probably would NOT accept a significant proportion of Berkeley admits, since their LSAT medians and 25ths (all except Cornell) are higher. If there are many cross-admits between Chicago and Berkeley, it would seem most of the high LSATers choose Chicago.

The site creator chose Berkeley 15 years ago, when it was much, much cheaper to attend for people in-state. Tuition back then was only around 8k per year. I think that was the primary differentiating factor, because he has said he would have chosen UCLA over Columbia and Chicago back then because of the cheap in-state tuition. Besides Chicago having better job prospects, Berkeley now costs more for OOS and CA has a higher COL than Chicago.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:42 pm

PDaddy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:I'm not saying Berkeley sucks, I'm just saying its overhyped and oversold. Berkeley's pretty nice, but not hands down the best place ever. At the end of the day, there are great things to be said about living in NY, Chicago, DC, and Boston. There are great things to be said about schools located in San Francisco, which Berkeley is not. But for certain people, it isn't even a question worth exploring: Could there be some value in leaving your nest in California and living in another major metropolitan city for a couple years? It is as if berkeley lovers have joined some kind of cult and can't be reasoned with. ITT, for example, 2/3 of berkeley's favorable arguments go like this: <3 [end rationale].
No, of course Berkeley isn't the greatest place ever, but - putting aside law schools - I'd rather live in Berkeley than New Haven, Cambridge, Palo Alto, Hyde Park, Ann Arbor, Charlottesville or Philly. Really, Berkeley is in the coolest town of any T10 law school except NYU and Columbia.

Berkeley is way closer to SF than Yale is to New York, closer to SF than UofC/Northwestern are to cool parts of Chicago, just as close to SF as Harvard is to Boston, etc.
Wrong on the bolded part. NULaw is right by Michigan Avenue and the heart of downtown Chicago, right off Lake Michigan. The best stores are there, as are clubs, bars, restaurants, swanky hotels, shops, galleries, and basically anything else you would want/need. NU's location is about as ideal as you can get. And it's just blocks away from Loyola Law, near parks, ideal for transit...everything.
It's not wrong if you take into account there are no "cool" parts of Chicago.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:52 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:It's not wrong if you take into account there are no "cool" parts of Chicago.
DFTT

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:11 pm

In regards to Chicago vs Berkeley disregarding the advantage Chicago has with career prospects, what would you rather do:
Live in picturesque setting with great weather all year= Berk
OR
The frozen tundra for 6 months out of the year which happens to be> Chicago

As far as just living goes everyone (most) would rather go to Cal, especially when they are ranked similarly. If you want a fat cat job outside of California or anywhere actually Chicago is your choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:12 pm

boalt's 25th LSAT next year will be 0.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm

kittenmittons wrote:boalt's 25th LSAT next year will be 0.
Flame.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:33 pm

Kittenmittons, why must you be so mean? :cry:

Boalt has 33% minorities in the class of 2012 . That they have the 25/75% numbers they do, while at the same time celebrating, encouraging, and educating a diverse population is testimony to their commitment to a holistic approach. To get those 25/75% numbers, considering the score gap for minorities, is actually phenomenal achievement. (You're not to infer that only URM admits have lower numbers - hey, just look at mine.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:37 pm

Boalt's record speaks for itself. Nearly as many tenure-track professors placed into academia as Harvard when adjusted for class size.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:39 pm

gymboree wrote:

Boalt has 33% minorities in the class of 2012 . That they have the 25/75% numbers they do, while at the same time celebrating, encouraging, and educating a diverse population is testimony to their commitment to a holistic approach. To get those 25/75% numbers, considering the score gap for minorities, is actually phenomenal achievement. (You're not to infer that only URM admits have lower numbers - hey, just look at mine.
To be honest, you should take the Kronk route and not dignify my trolling with this level of response.

hth

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:47 pm

gymboree wrote:

The relevant number is 22% URMs. Asians are minorities but so what?

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:27 pm

I'd really like to go to Berkeley, but I don' think my GPA will be high enough

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:11 pm

kittenmittons wrote: To be honest, you should take the Kronk route and not dignify my trolling with this level of response.

hth
See? And then there you go and you're super-nice again! :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:22 pm

im_blue wrote:
gymboree wrote:

The relevant number is 22% URMs. Asians are minorities but so what?
Boalt celebrates, encourages, and educates low testing whites from the Bayou.

Legacy316

Bronze

Post by Legacy316 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:27 pm

Add me to the list of those choosing Berkeley over Chicago. 8)

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:50 am

Legacy316 wrote:Add me to the list of those choosing Berkeley over Chicago. 8)
Excellent! You're going to need those sunglasses! (Ok, I know, it's not sunny all the time... fog abounds).

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:51 am

gymboree wrote:
Legacy316 wrote:Add me to the list of those choosing Berkeley over Chicago. 8)
Excellent! You're going to need those sunglasses! (Ok, I know, it's not sunny all the time... fog abounds).
Not a whole lot of fog as far east as Berkeley. Lots and lots of rain this year though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”