Where to study Cultural Resource Law (Native American focus)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lauraashley

Where to study Cultural Resource Law (Native American focus)

Postby lauraashley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Where should I go to law school to study cultural resource law (focusing on Native American law)?

I currently hold a BA in Anthropology and MS in Historic Preservation. I am interested in studying law with a concentration in historic preservation/cultural resources, specifically as this relates to Native American issues. I know this is rather specific, but it is what I am passionate about. Although I am not Native American, I would eventually like to work with Native American tribes to defend their cultural resources.

I have found several law schools that have concentrations in Native American or Indigenous Law, as well as a few that have concentrations (or at least courses) in cultural resources and historic preservation, but schools that offer more than one class in both of these subjects seem to be rare.

Would it be best to just go to a good law school and focus my career afterward in these areas?

Also, what specific jobs would be available once I graduate that would put me in this line of work?

NU_Jet55

Re: Where to study Cultural Resource Law (Native American focus)

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:37 pm

I would take a good hard look at OU. They seem to be pretty solid at all things Native American.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:45 pm

While I can't speak to cultural resource law specifically, it seems from my own school research that the schools with the strongest focus on Native American issues tend to be located in states with higher concentrations of those peoples such as New Mexico, Arizona, and Oklahoma. I would also closely look at which schools have clinics focusing on Native American concerns.

Esc

Postby Esc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 pm

lauraashley wrote:Where should I go to law school to study cultural resource law (focusing on Native American law)?

I currently hold a BA in Anthropology and MS in Historic Preservation. I am interested in studying law with a concentration in historic preservation/cultural resources, specifically as this relates to Native American issues. I know this is rather specific, but it is what I am passionate about. Although I am not Native American, I would eventually like to work with Native American tribes to defend their cultural resources.

I have found several law schools that have concentrations in Native American or Indigenous Law, as well as a few that have concentrations (or at least courses) in cultural resources and historic preservation, but schools that offer more than one class in both of these subjects seem to be rare.

Would it be best to just go to a good law school and focus my career afterward in these areas?

Also, what specific jobs would be available once I graduate that would put me in this line of work?

Without knowing your LSAT/GPA, this is hard/impossible to answer. However, any jobs where you would be likely to be helping "defend cultural resources" will likely put you working for non-profit organizations or plaintiffs' firms, most of which will likely pay fairly low salaries. Keeping your law school debt and expenses to a minimum would be essential for you if you chose this career path.

What the other posters said about going to a school in the region you are interested in working in is good advice. Schools in states with high Native American populations are more likely to have a focus on this field. Most of these states tend to have lower ranked, cheaper state schools. It is certainly possible that with a decent LSAT and GPA you could get scholarship money to go to one of these schools, and graduate with low debt.

But really, we need to know your LSAT and GPA.

mbw

Postby mbw » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:10 am

Since you still have to take a lot of core courses, you could look at going to the best school you can afford (meaning, if scholarship money is important, go with the best ranked/best $$$.) You can then look to spend a semester at a school with a strong AI/NA focus, such as Colorado, Denver, NM, Arizona, MN or even Harvard/Stanford.

I plan on working in federal NDN law (I was a tribal archaeologist is my former life), and that's my plan at least.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”