Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bryanl87
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby bryanl87 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Hey guys, I'm accepted at Penn State, Villanova, and waiting on Temple... but the fact that Temple's ranking fell while Penn State jumped a significant amount is confusing me a little bit on my decision. What are your inputs?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Their ranking is low enough that it doesn't matter too much. What will matter is that they're both T2 schools in the same region, meaning you'll have similar job opportunities graduating from either of them. Depending on your plans going to Temple might be better, since being in Philly would give you the opportunity to do internships and pro bono work during the school year and make connections that could help you get summer jobs.

Don't consider ranking too much here, it's not as important as those other things. Graduating from either one you'll still have to finish in the top quarter of your class to have the best post-graduate opportunities, so you need to look at the other factors in play to decide which is best for you.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby OGR3 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Hosting millions of online chats while neglecting applications is a surefire way to reach the T-14.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:51 pm

I've lived in Philly my whole life... even though PSU is jumping up the rankings, Temple alums have a strong hold on the Philadelphia market. If you want Philly, Nova/Temple will beat out PSU more often than not. Going to PSU doesn't mean you're shut out from the Philly market, but a Temple grad with similar qualifications will probably get the job over you.

Also, Temple students shoot people 5 times in the chest if you bump into them and act tough. You've been warned...

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby ruleser » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Their ranking is low enough that it doesn't matter too much. What will matter is that they're both T2 schools in the same region, meaning you'll have similar job opportunities graduating from either of them. Depending on your plans going to Temple might be better, since being in Philly would give you the opportunity to do internships and pro bono work during the school year and make connections that could help you get summer jobs.

Don't consider ranking too much here, it's not as important as those other things. Graduating from either one you'll still have to finish in the top quarter of your class to have the best post-graduate opportunities, so you need to look at the other factors in play to decide which is best for you.

User avatar
anthonyc350
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby anthonyc350 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:47 am

i fell into the trap that PSU is an up and coming law school...

my cousin who works in the DA's office in Pittsburgh said he didn't even know PSU had a law school, plus they don't even offer in state tuition. Better off with pitt temple or villanova.

User avatar
alannak
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby alannak » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:54 am

bookmarking..

User avatar
manbearwig
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby manbearwig » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:20 am

If you want to live in central PA, go to Penn State. Otherwise, Temple's the best option for Philly, followed by Villanova.

Also, consider that Temple is ~$16,000 (in-state), Villanova is ~$29,000, and Penn State is ~$34,000.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby traehekat » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:05 am

OGR3 wrote:Hosting millions of online chats while neglecting applications is a surefire way to reach the T-14.


+1,000

ram jam
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby ram jam » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:53 pm

traehekat wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Hosting millions of online chats while neglecting applications is a surefire way to reach the T-14.


+1,000



+1,001

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby sarlis » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:55 pm

ram jam wrote:
traehekat wrote:
OGR3 wrote:Hosting millions of online chats while neglecting applications is a surefire way to reach the T-14.


+1,000



+1,001


hahaha. I've heard that there were just a bunch of gunners asking questions.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Another online chat invitation... one more and I am going to lose it.

mattymatt
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:58 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby mattymatt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:06 pm

traehekat wrote:Another online chat invitation... one more and I am going to lose it.


No kidding. Just give me a bloody decision.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby shock259 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:02 pm

I'm glad other people are angry about those stupid online chat invitations. Ugh.

User avatar
bitlrc
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby bitlrc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:11 pm

beach_terror wrote:I've lived in Philly my whole life... even though PSU is jumping up the rankings, Temple alums have a strong hold on the Philadelphia market. If you want Philly, Nova/Temple will beat out PSU more often than not. Going to PSU doesn't mean you're shut out from the Philly market, but a Temple grad with similar qualifications will probably get the job over you.

Also, Temple students shoot people 5 times in the chest if you bump into them and act tough. You've been warned...



from what i understand, rutgers-camden has decent representation in the city as well, not to mention upenn

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby beach_terror » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:13 pm

UPenn grads leave for NYC/DC a lot though. Yeah, Rutgers-Camden has decent representation as well.

User avatar
SoxyPirate
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:31 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby SoxyPirate » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:40 pm

anthonyc350 wrote:
my cousin who works in the DA's office in Pittsburgh said he didn't even know PSU had a law school


Your family sounds stupid.

User avatar
SoxyPirate
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:31 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby SoxyPirate » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:43 pm

bryanl87 wrote:Hey guys, I'm accepted at Penn State, Villanova, and waiting on Temple... but the fact that Temple's ranking fell while Penn State jumped a significant amount is confusing me a little bit on my decision. What are your inputs?


If you want to work in Philly, go to a school in Philly.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:19 am

SoxyPirate wrote:
anthonyc350 wrote:
my cousin who works in the DA's office in Pittsburgh said he didn't even know PSU had a law school


Your family sounds stupid.


I understand that this is a testimonial that at least anecdotally PSU's law school doesn't have much of a reputation, but honestly? An ADA in Pittsburgh isn't aware of a T2 school in the same state? I mean, I am as much of a prestige whore as anyone, but I'm at least aware of all of the law schools in my state - Duke, UNC, Wake, NC Central, Charlotte, Elon, Campbell

User avatar
anthonyc350
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby anthonyc350 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:23 am

To be clear, didn't realize the DSL was part of PSU, it wasn't a knock on PSU really just thought it was relevant

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Penn State's ranking... Will it continue to get better?

Postby pjo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:34 am

I'm from western PA and actually anthonyc350 is about right. It seems that most bigger areas in PA are old school-regional strong networks and they feel comfortable hiring from top top law schools and the regional schools. In western PA at least I wouldn't be surprised if a Duquesne grad (T4) had an easier time getting a job than a PSU grad. Idk the truth about ppl never hearing of PSU law, I would think most attorneys have. Point is, most grads from Pitt, Duquesne, and even Case end up in Cleveland/Pittsburgh so the alumni base is huge there which affects hiring practices. Just go on some of the bigger firm's sites in Pittsburgh, for every 1 PSU grad theres about 5 Pitt grads and 3 Duquesne grads. I would think Villanova and Temple would be the same for Philly. PSU doesn't dominate any market, its in the middle of no where (no matter which campus you go to) and it seems like they do most of their placement in (state) government.

OP to answer your original question...I think PSU will fall in the rankings this year but not back to where it was two years ago (90 or so). I just think its current ranking is inflated. They're numbers still are not too good and I would say most of the ranking jump can be contributed to the new law building at state college and primarily the official name change from The Dickinson School of Law to Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of law. Its like just attaching the words "Penn State" probably increased its peer rankings and judge/lawyer rankings significantly




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hwwong and 5 guests