George Mason or American?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ATOIsp07

Re: George Mason or American?

Postby ATOIsp07 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:35 pm

NYVA311 wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:T14 Scholly, Catholic and American are fine schools if you don't want Big Law. A lot of people on here assume it's Big Law or NOTHING so if the school doesn't place well in Big Law, well, that school is worthless. I agree that they won't place you in Big Law unless you've got great connections/are at the top of your class or possibly not even then, but to say they're not worth attending no matter what is a bit too harsh. Obviously the "Georges" are better schools in general, but that's ridiculously elitist to assume that just because a school isn't the "best" it's the worst, or worthless.

While WCL can be said to not be BIGLAW-oriented, I bet you that that the top 10-15% coming out of WCL will do better in terms of BIGLAW prospects than anyone who attends GMU or GW and finishes at top 40/50%.

People underestimate AU's network in the DC area. And in terms of lay prestige, I'm sure American has a better rep than GMU.

True, can't deny that. I'm sure the top 10% or so do very well in Big Law - better than the average GMU/GW student for sure. GMU has almost no lay prestige - everyone associates it with its undergrad, which is very mediocre from what I've heard. I was writing that response more to point out their generalization that Catholic/American are schools that everyone "scratches their head at" when trying to figure out why you attended them (because Catholic is one of my top choices and I took personal offense haha). One seemingly obvious response would be "I don't want Big Law or anything close to it, so I don't HAVE to attend a T14 or T30 to be satisfied." I didn't apply to American because I doubt I'd fit in with the "bleeding-heart liberal/International studies" type - and I don't have a 162ish LSAT.

You have to remember that 99% of the people here are looking at law as a path to big money and, thus, are victim to the mentality of BIGLAW or bust.

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:45 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:T14 Scholly, Catholic and American are fine schools if you don't want Big Law. A lot of people on here assume it's Big Law or NOTHING so if the school doesn't place well in Big Law, well, that school is worthless. I agree that they won't place you in Big Law unless you've got great connections/are at the top of your class or possibly not even then, but to say they're not worth attending no matter what is a bit too harsh. Obviously the "Georges" are better schools in general, but that's ridiculously elitist to assume that just because a school isn't the "best" it's the worst, or worthless.

While WCL can be said to not be BIGLAW-oriented, I bet you that that the top 10-15% coming out of WCL will do better in terms of BIGLAW prospects than anyone who attends GMU or GW and finishes at top 40/50%.

People underestimate AU's network in the DC area. And in terms of lay prestige, I'm sure American has a better rep than GMU.

True, can't deny that. I'm sure the top 10% or so do very well in Big Law - better than the average GMU/GW student for sure. GMU has almost no lay prestige - everyone associates it with its undergrad, which is very mediocre from what I've heard. I was writing that response more to point out their generalization that Catholic/American are schools that everyone "scratches their head at" when trying to figure out why you attended them (because Catholic is one of my top choices and I took personal offense haha). One seemingly obvious response would be "I don't want Big Law or anything close to it, so I don't HAVE to attend a T14 or T30 to be satisfied." I didn't apply to American because I doubt I'd fit in with the "bleeding-heart liberal/International studies" type - and I don't have a 162ish LSAT.

You have to remember that 99% of the people here are looking at law as a path to big money and, thus, are victim to the mentality of BIGLAW or bust.

This is true. I'm in the wrong place haha.

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:40 am

ATOIsp07 wrote:If you're in-state. But if OP isn't, then debt is really going to be similar, if he attends GMU or American.

Incorrect, American's tutition is about 40K. Mason's in state is 20K , while its out of state is only 30K.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:52 am

Harry Ballsogna wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:Well I would assume with strong programs comes strong reputations (at the very least in that field). Why WOULDN'T strong programs have a strong employment network?

EDIT: wow, I really like the word "strong" lol...

Anyway my point is, I feel that a strength in a particular field means SOMETHING, otherwise, why even rank it?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... tional-law

This is the list... An employer isn't going to pick and American grad (6th) over a Stanford grad (10th) because of the international law rankings. The secondary rankings literally mean next to nothing.

Extreme example.

You are right that specialty rankings are fairly unimportant, but ITE, I would seek out every possible advantage. Taking more international classes, making helpful connections, and having a shot at the international journal certainly won't hurt the OP.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”