Okay school now or better school later?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zangrushi

Okay school now or better school later?

Postby zangrushi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:45 pm

So here is my predicament. Early this fall I took decided I wanted to go to law school. I signed up for the December LSATs did a little research and took one practice test. On test day, things went okay. While I know this is part of how they test you, I messed up the circles at the end of the reading comprehension and on the fifth from the bottom I circled two on the same one so the next five were wrong when I should have gotten them right. I got a rather disappointing 163. My GPA is 3.68 and I think I could bump myself up to at least almost 170 if I study. If I took the LSATs again in June and applied as early as possible (maybe even early decision to my top school) would it be worth it? Right now my list is Fordham PT, Cardozo, Brooklyn, CUNY, Hofstra, and St. Johns (I want to be in NY). These are okay schools, but if there is a chance I could get into NYU, Columbia, or Fordham full-time it would probably pay off in the long-run even if I don't get any money. I will be 25 in June and I am a little anxious that I will be a little on the old end by the time I finish law school. I have application fee waivers to everywhere but Fordham and CUNY so since its only going to cost $200 I think I might as well just go ahead and apply. The question is, is it better to wait figuring I will at least bump up my score 5 or so points if not more or should I just go to the best school I get into this year? Everyone here seems to know more about this whole process then me so I am looking forward to some advice.

mizzoutigers88

Re: Okay school now or better school later?

Postby mizzoutigers88 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:52 pm

Based on what you said, I would DEFINITELY wait and retake.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:22 pm

I'm in a very similar situation, with very similar numbers. While I can't tell you what to do, and in fact can't seem to tell myself what to do either, if you are going to attend this year I'd put in an application to Rutgers-Newark. I'd say you could easily argue that Fordham > Cardozo > Rutgers-Newark > all the rest of the schools on that list (aside from Columbia and NYU) for placement in New York. It's also very affordable, and 20 minutes from Manhattan.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:03 pm

I was in a very similar situation last year but I knew that it was T14 or bust for me. I took the year off, worked for Americorps, and now I'm sittin with a nice scholarship from Michigan and in at two other T14's. It was nice getting to clear my head and forget about it for a while. I started LSAT work again in July and was able to put myself in a much better situation with my new score.

Sounds like you would have had a 168 without the misbubble. Unfortunately, that would keep you out of NYU and Columbia. With lots of stress free extra time to study for the LSAT, you should be able to break 170 and put yourself in a good position. NYU and Columbia are always tall orders, but a 170+ at least gives you a shot.

This may be the only time I have ever agreed with a Mizzou fan (blah)

yeff

Postby yeff » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:18 am

rockchalk86 wrote:I was in a very similar situation last year but I knew that it was T14 or bust for me. I took the year off, worked for Americorps, and now I'm sittin with a nice scholarship from Michigan and in at two other T14's. It was nice getting to clear my head and forget about it for a while. I started LSAT work again in July and was able to put myself in a much better situation with my new score.

Sounds like you would have had a 168 without the misbubble. Unfortunately, that would keep you out of NYU and Columbia. With lots of stress free extra time to study for the LSAT, you should be able to break 170 and put yourself in a good position. NYU and Columbia are always tall orders, but a 170+ at least gives you a shot.

This may be the only time I have ever agreed with a Mizzou fan (blah)

+1

OP, based on your description your baseline LSAT score without preparation is around 168. This is very high. My first practice test was a 168, and with 3 months of self-study I got a 176 on the real thing.

Study for real, then re-take, then go to Columbia or NYU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”