Wake $$ vs W&L vs CU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which?

Withdraw
75%
Keep going
25%

Total votes: 4

kalvano

Wake $$ vs W&L vs CU

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 am

OK, wrestling with this question.

I've been accepted at Wake Forest with $18K a year. I've been WL'ed at Washington & Lee and CU. I've got some pretty compelling reasons for getting off a WL, and I think I could. I really like Colorado and Boulder seems like a cool place.

However, I am pretty much open to living anywhere that I have applied, although East coast / New England area is my preference.

I am still waiting on several other schools, but I would like to know if you all think it is worth it to keep fighting and try and get off the WL at either of these schools. Obviously, being on the WL means much less chance at $$.

Is W&L or CU worth it with little scholarship money? I want to do prosecution work, and I don't want NYC or Boston or anything like that. Really, some small NC or CT or NH town would be awesome to me. Should I just withdraw my apps from those two and let other people have a better shot, or are they really worth it to keep fighting for?

It's a tough choice to me, since I like Colorado a lot, and since W&L is a T30 school. I don't want to just give up on them, but at the same time, I am waiting on other schools, and without decent $$, Wake seems like a pretty good option.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Aberzombie1892

Re: Wake $$ vs W&L vs CU

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:16 am

kalvano wrote:OK, wrestling with this question.

I've been accepted at Wake Forest with $18K a year. I've been WL'ed at Washington & Lee and CU. I've got some pretty compelling reasons for getting off a WL, and I think I could. I really like Colorado and Boulder seems like a cool place.

However, I am pretty much open to living anywhere that I have applied, although East coast / New England area is my preference.

I am still waiting on several other schools, but I would like to know if you all think it is worth it to keep fighting and try and get off the WL at either of these schools. Obviously, being on the WL means much less chance at $$.

Is W&L or CU worth it with little scholarship money? I want to do prosecution work, and I don't want NYC or Boston or anything like that. Really, some small NC or CT or NH town would be awesome to me. Should I just withdraw my apps from those two and let other people have a better shot, or are they really worth it to keep fighting for?

It's a tough choice to me, since I like Colorado a lot, and since W&L is a T30 school. I don't want to just give up on them, but at the same time, I am waiting on other schools, and without decent $$, Wake seems like a pretty good option.

Where are you from?

I would really recommend that if you aren't interested in
1) Big law
2) "fancy" PI work (I saw that terminology used in another thread)
then I would suggest a public school.

I asked where you were from because I would recommend getting in state tuition wherever that is.

I'm not aware of how much your scholarship to Wake is- but I would suggest that if it is more than half tuition with no strings attached - go there.

If there are strings, be weary.

Also Wake isn't best for the Northeast - but would be fine for North Carolina.

I really can't give better advice without
1)Knowing how much the scholarship is to Wake
2)Knowing what other schools you applied to
3)Knowing your numbers

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:39 am

wake has the best job prospects of these three schools.they place most in winston-salem, charlotte, greensboro, and atlanta. with you getting the most money from them i think that as of this point in your cycle it's where you should be heading if job prospects is your main concern.

the only merit W&L has in this consideration is that a greater percentage of its graduates work in new england than that of the other two schools. your top 30 distinction delineating W&L from wake is meaningless.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:48 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Where are you from?

I would really recommend that if you aren't interested in
1) Big law
2) "fancy" PI work (I saw that terminology used in another thread)
then I would suggest a public school.

I asked where you were from because I would recommend getting in state tuition wherever that is.

I'm not aware of how much your scholarship to Wake is- but I would suggest that if it is more than half tuition with no strings attached - go there.

If there are strings, be weary.

Also Wake isn't best for the Northeast - but would be fine for North Carolina.

I really can't give better advice without
1)Knowing how much the scholarship is to Wake
2)Knowing what other schools you applied to
3)Knowing your numbers

Second line - $18,000 a year, which means tuition is around $17K a year. Have to stay in the top 2/3's of the class to keep it, otherwise it goes down to $9,000 a year.

I have no interest at all in staying in Texas, I hate it here. I'd rather be anywhere but here.

Other schools are in my profile, everything from UPenn to UConn. Waiting to hear back from several, so those are still in the running.

I think my ultimate question is, being open to where I want live, is there any compelling reason to pursue CU / W&L over Wake?

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:05 am

If I were you I would throw some quick apps to Iowa and Indiana. With your numbers, you may have a decent shot at scholarship money there; although it is getting late in the cycle.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:24 am

I have absolutely no interest in spending any time at all in Iowa or Indiana, for a variety of reasons. Unless there is some valid reason to go there, such as excellent placement on the East coast.

I have to make a decision by the end of February as to where I will be going, so I'm just trying to narrow things down. Hence, just curious if I should keep going with CU / W&L or if I should cross them off and move on.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:33 am

Personally I would take Wake. I think that W&L has slightly better placement, but it's not enough to justify an almost $20,000 a year difference. If you like Wake, if you feel like you would enjoy Wake and be comfortable graduating from Wake, that is what I am going to vote for.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”