Want to work in Michigan, can I go to school elsewhere?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Trifles

Want to work in Michigan, can I go to school elsewhere?

Postby Trifles » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:34 am

My numbers are low for U-M, and none of the other law schools in Michigan really appeal to me much at this point, as they are all tier 3, and would make it hard to leave the state if I ever had to. Would I be able to find work in Michigan if I went to law school in Ohio, or are things just too regional?

woeisme

Re: Want to work in Michigan, can I go to school elsewhere?

Postby woeisme » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:28 am

Trifles wrote:My numbers are low for U-M, and none of the other law schools in Michigan really appeal to me much at this point, as they are all tier 3, and would make it hard to leave the state if I ever had to. Would I be able to find work in Michigan if I went to law school in Ohio, or are things just too regional?

If you have strong ties to Michigan, I think it's still doable. But if you do go to Ohio, make sure to go to a better school there than the other Michigan schools.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:37 am

This thread is worthless without numbers.

sckon

Postby sckon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:06 am

Who the hell wants to work in Michigan?

/Michigander

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Agreed. May I just ask why you're interested in working in Michigan? I went to school out of state and coming back to this wasteland just depresses me every day I'm here. As far as your question, my guess is probably not without really good connections. Unfortunately our state is one of the reasons why the market is flooded with attorneys. With factories like Cooley and MSU, and Wayne State and UDM (and of course UM), it's probably hard to come here from OOS (non-T14 of course) and get a job.

$.02

blue16

Postby blue16 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:46 pm

My thoughts:

1) If you want to work in Michigan, I imagine you're not interested in Biglaw, public interest, or prestigious clerkship. Thus, you have pretty straightforward goals - be a good lawyer in Michigan and make a decent living. To that end, if you have decent numbers, I would recommend shooting out an application to Michigan State or Wayne State. As you stated, they are Tier 3, but if you want to work in Michigan, they will get you a good job and you can save massive amounts of money by obtaining a scholarship. Michigan State is especially lenient with full scholarships. There is no reason why you need to go to a school ranked in the 30s, 40s, 50s, etc., when you can get a similar job coming out of a Michigan school.

2) There is no clear advantage to paying more to attend a school in Ohio/Indiana/etc just because it is higher ranked.

3) If, for whatever reason, you do decide that you still want to study in Ohio or Indiana, you should still have a reasonable shot at getting a job in Michigan. It would become more difficult if you were attending, say, a lower ranked school in California or something. I've met a couple Loyola Chicago grads practicing here in Michigan, anecdotal yes, but I don't think it's that uncommon.

So yeah, I guess my question would be why is it that you are opposed to attending a Michigan law school?

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:29 pm

vanwinkle wrote:This thread is worthless without numbers.

175 lsat and a sub-3.0 gpa, which makes any scholarship money pretty hit and miss. Some of the higher ranked ones might end up being cheaper then the lower ranked ones, etc. I guess I will have to wait and see how things end up before deciding whether or not to stay in state.

blue16 wrote:So yeah, I guess my question would be why is it that you are opposed to attending a Michigan law school?

Went to Wayne State undergrad, took a few graduate law electives as a senior and wasn't that impressed with the program.

I don't want to be a spartan :( That probably isn't the best reason to not go to a law school, but my family would never let me live it down.

UDM looks pretty terrible, and Cooley is my last resort school if for some reason everyone else wants me to pay sticker.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:31 pm

ED to Northwestern next cycle. They took a 176/2.8 this cycle ED. You likely won't get any scholarship money but you'll get a valuable and portable degree out of it.

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:ED to Northwestern next cycle. They took a 176/2.8 this cycle ED. You likely won't get any scholarship money but you'll get a valuable and portable degree out of it.

I would probably ED to UVA (and cross my fingers) right now if money wasn't a concern, but I'm not ready to commit myself to 10-25 years of paying off loans for something I don't know if I am any good at yet.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 am

Okay, given what we know now, you should definitely be applying to Michigan and Northwester. Can't you ED at Michigan? Are his numbers that low for Michigan?
He should also apply to UVA, Cornell, GULC.
I don't know if Ohio State or Case would be better than going to your T2/T3 options (not really sure what those would be) .. but throwing apps to some of the midwest schools that have a bit more reach: WUSTL, Notre Dame, might be a good idea.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”