What school would you go to?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What school

Rutgers- Newark
25
38%
Miami
18
28%
Villanova
19
29%
Seton Hall
3
5%
 
Total votes: 65

User avatar
eagles86
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 5:39 pm

What school would you go to?

Postby eagles86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 pm

I very likely may have this decision in a month or so. For this purpose I will say that it doesnt matter what region I practice in..im from NJ but kind of tired of living here.

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby galahad85 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 pm

You're a NJ resident, so Rutgers should be substantially cheaper. Go there.

lawschooliseasy
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:38 pm

HYS, duh. If you don't go to a T3 you're never going to get a job. Sincerely, majority TLS opinion.

User avatar
bitlrc
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby bitlrc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:41 pm

i'm in the same boat, being from NJ and i applied to rutgers-camden, seton hall, and nova. if all things were equal (in terms of cost, at least) i would choose nova. brand new building (amazing looking and super modern by the way), solid reputation, and close enough to home without having to be in the same old NJ rut.

that said, rutgers is going to be the cheapest by far of those 3 and ite that can be a huge factor. in your shoes, i might consider applying to temple as well, as you should be able to get in state tuition after 1L, and temple's name would probably carry farther than any of the other schools if you decided to leave the area after graduating.

User avatar
eagles86
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby eagles86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 pm

I know its cheaper at Newark but I question if thats where i want to spend my next 3 years. Add to that im kind of sick of jersey lol

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Not Seton Hall or Miami. If paying full fare, just go to RU.

User avatar
eagles86
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby eagles86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:07 pm

this whole site is so constructive.....notice everyone is the same

1) anything below T14 is worthless
2 $$ is everything, quality of life is meaningless
3) unless you land biglaw youre a failure

User avatar
bitlrc
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby bitlrc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 pm

if you're not worried about money then why not try pepperdine? laid back california attitude, similar ranking to the other schools you're considering, plus probably the best location of any law school in the world.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:57 pm

Go to miami. At least if you don't get a job when you graduate you can live on the beach!

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby Doritos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:24 am

eagles86 wrote:this whole site is so constructive.....notice everyone is the same

1) anything below T14 is worthless
2 $$ is everything, quality of life is meaningless
3) unless you land biglaw youre a failure



lol I like how you honed in on one of the several replies, generalized it across the board and insulted the place you are asking your question. I feel like people are really pissy today. Between this, the epic HYSCCN thread, and the thread that made OS of all people get (justifiably) mad, I feel like there is some bad juju at TLS on this MLK holiday.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:27 am

Veyron wrote:Go to miami. At least if you don't get a job when you graduate you can live on the beach!


This was my logic as well.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby TTH » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:28 am

Doritos wrote:
eagles86 wrote:this whole site is so constructive.....notice everyone is the same

1) anything below T14 is worthless
2 $$ is everything, quality of life is meaningless
3) unless you land biglaw youre a failure



lol I like how you honed in on one of the several replies, generalized it across the board and insulted the place you are asking your question. I feel like people are really pissy today. Between this, the epic HYSCCN thread, and the thread that made OS of all people get (justifiably) mad, I feel like there is some bad juju at TLS on this MLK holiday.


Agreed. People are feisty today. I'm gonna chalk it up to subtle, repressed racism. ;)

Unless CoA is significantly lower for one of the other schools on your list, go to Rutgers. Sorry you don't want to live in Jersey, but don't kneecap yourself just because you want out.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:28 am

eagles86 wrote:this whole site is so constructive.....notice everyone is the same

1) anything below T14 is worthless
2 $$ is everything, quality of life is meaningless
3) unless you land biglaw youre a failure


Don't be a douche.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby najumobi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:51 am

eagles86 wrote:I very likely may have this decision in a month or so. For this purpose I will say that it doesnt matter what region I practice in..im from NJ but kind of tired of living here.

i can't pick the best school from this list, but i think i can choose the worst school: miami.
25% of graduates with no job at the time of graduation. only 27% of graduates making 75k/year or more. 23% of the class in public service jobs earning a median salary 42k/year.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:01 am

Doritos wrote:
eagles86 wrote:this whole site is so constructive.....notice everyone is the same

1) anything below T14 is worthless
2 $$ is everything, quality of life is meaningless
3) unless you land biglaw youre a failure



lol I like how you honed in on one of the several replies, generalized it across the board and insulted the place you are asking your question. I feel like people are really pissy today. Between this, the epic HYSCCN thread, and the thread that made OS of all people get (justifiably) mad, I feel like there is some bad juju at TLS on this MLK holiday.


What thread is that one? haha, i kind of want to read it, lol.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23852
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:04 am

galahad85 wrote:You're a NJ resident, so Rutgers should be substantially cheaper. Go there.


I voted for Rutgers.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:05 am

OP, did you receive any scholly money anywhere?

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby Doritos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:07 am

I know she's online now and I hope she doesnt get mad at me for linking to it buttttt...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103868 page 4. I feel like a middle schooler going "did you hear what billy said to sally at lunch?!?! OMMGGZZZ"

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby RVP11 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:13 am

najumobi wrote:
eagles86 wrote:I very likely may have this decision in a month or so. For this purpose I will say that it doesnt matter what region I practice in..im from NJ but kind of tired of living here.

i can't pick the best school from this list, but i think i can choose the worst school: miami.
25% of graduates with no job at the time of graduation. only 27% of graduates making 75k/year or more. 23% of the class in public service jobs earning a median salary 42k/year.


I don't think the fact that they don't cover up their unflattering statistics as much as the other schools should count against them.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:19 am

There is not a "None of the above" option.

hth.

Edit: but Rutgers, probably.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:21 am

Doritos wrote:I know she's online now and I hope she doesnt get mad at me for linking to it buttttt...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103868 page 4. I feel like a middle schooler going "did you hear what billy said to sally at lunch?!?! OMMGGZZZ"


wow, that is serious. Why, though, was OS upset? I went to check the OP, but he or she had edited it; something about lying about posted grades?

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby Doritos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:22 am

I don't know but I'm guessing it was serious.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:26 am

Doritos wrote:I don't know but I'm guessing it was serious.


yeah, OP almost got banned by OS, who, if I remember from a thread a couple of weeks ago, said she had never banned anyone before. for the record, OS is awesome!

And, haha, we totally highjacked this thread, lol.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby najumobi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:28 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
najumobi wrote:
eagles86 wrote:I very likely may have this decision in a month or so. For this purpose I will say that it doesnt matter what region I practice in..im from NJ but kind of tired of living here.

i can't pick the best school from this list, but i think i can choose the worst school: miami.
25% of graduates with no job at the time of graduation. only 27% of graduates making 75k/year or more. 23% of the class in public service jobs earning a median salary 42k/year.


I don't think the fact that they don't cover up their unflattering statistics as much as the other schools should count against them.

i don't understand...where are you getting your information about the other schools compared to miami in this thread covering up their unflattering statistics more than miami?

last year miami reported to usnews that "99% of their grads for 2007 landed jobs that required a JD". for some reason i don't believe this.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:34 am

najumobi wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
najumobi wrote:
eagles86 wrote:I very likely may have this decision in a month or so. For this purpose I will say that it doesnt matter what region I practice in..im from NJ but kind of tired of living here.

i can't pick the best school from this list, but i think i can choose the worst school: miami.
25% of graduates with no job at the time of graduation. only 27% of graduates making 75k/year or more. 23% of the class in public service jobs earning a median salary 42k/year.


I don't think the fact that they don't cover up their unflattering statistics as much as the other schools should count against them.

i don't understand...where are you getting your information about the other schools compared to miami in this thread covering up their unflattering statistics more than miami?

last year miami reported to usnews that "99% of their grads for 2007 landed jobs that required a JD". for some reason i don't believe this.


Plus, the statistics fail to consider, (or at least report this) how well UMiami grads do, or don't do, in Miami and South Florida.

If the stats report everyone, including grads who have jobs out of S.Fl, I can see how the numbers would look low. Since, UMiami works the best in S.Fl.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests