What school would you go to?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What school

Rutgers- Newark
38%
Miami
28%
Villanova
29%
Seton Hall
5%

Total votes: 65

eagles86

What school would you go to?

Postby eagles86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 pm

I very likely may have this decision in a month or so. For this purpose I will say that it doesnt matter what region I practice in..im from NJ but kind of tired of living here.

galahad85

Re: What school would you go to?

Postby galahad85 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 pm

You're a NJ resident, so Rutgers should be substantially cheaper. Go there.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:38 pm

HYS, duh. If you don't go to a T3 you're never going to get a job. Sincerely, majority TLS opinion.

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:41 pm

i'm in the same boat, being from NJ and i applied to rutgers-camden, seton hall, and nova. if all things were equal (in terms of cost, at least) i would choose nova. brand new building (amazing looking and super modern by the way), solid reputation, and close enough to home without having to be in the same old NJ rut.

that said, rutgers is going to be the cheapest by far of those 3 and ite that can be a huge factor. in your shoes, i might consider applying to temple as well, as you should be able to get in state tuition after 1L, and temple's name would probably carry farther than any of the other schools if you decided to leave the area after graduating.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 pm

I know its cheaper at Newark but I question if thats where i want to spend my next 3 years. Add to that im kind of sick of jersey lol

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Not Seton Hall or Miami. If paying full fare, just go to RU.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:07 pm

this whole site is so constructive.....notice everyone is the same

1) anything below T14 is worthless
2 $$ is everything, quality of life is meaningless
3) unless you land biglaw youre a failure

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 pm

if you're not worried about money then why not try pepperdine? laid back california attitude, similar ranking to the other schools you're considering, plus probably the best location of any law school in the world.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:57 pm

Go to miami. At least if you don't get a job when you graduate you can live on the beach!

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:24 am

eagles86 wrote:this whole site is so constructive.....notice everyone is the same

lol I like how you honed in on one of the several replies, generalized it across the board and insulted the place you are asking your question. I feel like people are really pissy today. Between this, the epic HYSCCN thread, and the thread that made OS of all people get (justifiably) mad, I feel like there is some bad juju at TLS on this MLK holiday.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:27 am

Veyron wrote:Go to miami. At least if you don't get a job when you graduate you can live on the beach!

This was my logic as well.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:28 am

Doritos wrote:
eagles86 wrote:this whole site is so constructive.....notice everyone is the same

lol I like how you honed in on one of the several replies, generalized it across the board and insulted the place you are asking your question. I feel like people are really pissy today. Between this, the epic HYSCCN thread, and the thread that made OS of all people get (justifiably) mad, I feel like there is some bad juju at TLS on this MLK holiday.

Agreed. People are feisty today. I'm gonna chalk it up to subtle, repressed racism. ;)

Unless CoA is significantly lower for one of the other schools on your list, go to Rutgers. Sorry you don't want to live in Jersey, but don't kneecap yourself just because you want out.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:28 am

Don't be a douche.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:51 am

eagles86 wrote:I very likely may have this decision in a month or so. For this purpose I will say that it doesnt matter what region I practice in..im from NJ but kind of tired of living here.

i can't pick the best school from this list, but i think i can choose the worst school: miami.
25% of graduates with no job at the time of graduation. only 27% of graduates making 75k/year or more. 23% of the class in public service jobs earning a median salary 42k/year.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:01 am

Doritos wrote:

What thread is that one? haha, i kind of want to read it, lol.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:04 am

galahad85 wrote:You're a NJ resident, so Rutgers should be substantially cheaper. Go there.

I voted for Rutgers.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:05 am

OP, did you receive any scholly money anywhere?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:07 am

I know she's online now and I hope she doesnt get mad at me for linking to it buttttt...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103868 page 4. I feel like a middle schooler going "did you hear what billy said to sally at lunch?!?! OMMGGZZZ"

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:13 am

najumobi wrote:
eagles86 wrote:I very likely may have this decision in a month or so. For this purpose I will say that it doesnt matter what region I practice in..im from NJ but kind of tired of living here.

i can't pick the best school from this list, but i think i can choose the worst school: miami.
25% of graduates with no job at the time of graduation. only 27% of graduates making 75k/year or more. 23% of the class in public service jobs earning a median salary 42k/year.

I don't think the fact that they don't cover up their unflattering statistics as much as the other schools should count against them.

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:19 am

There is not a "None of the above" option.

hth.

Edit: but Rutgers, probably.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:21 am

Doritos wrote:I know she's online now and I hope she doesnt get mad at me for linking to it buttttt...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103868 page 4. I feel like a middle schooler going "did you hear what billy said to sally at lunch?!?! OMMGGZZZ"

wow, that is serious. Why, though, was OS upset? I went to check the OP, but he or she had edited it; something about lying about posted grades?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:22 am

I don't know but I'm guessing it was serious.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:26 am

Doritos wrote:I don't know but I'm guessing it was serious.

yeah, OP almost got banned by OS, who, if I remember from a thread a couple of weeks ago, said she had never banned anyone before. for the record, OS is awesome!

And, haha, we totally highjacked this thread, lol.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:28 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
najumobi wrote:

I don't think the fact that they don't cover up their unflattering statistics as much as the other schools should count against them.

i don't understand...where are you getting your information about the other schools compared to miami in this thread covering up their unflattering statistics more than miami?

last year miami reported to usnews that "99% of their grads for 2007 landed jobs that required a JD". for some reason i don't believe this.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:34 am

najumobi wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:
najumobi wrote:

i don't understand...where are you getting your information about the other schools compared to miami in this thread covering up their unflattering statistics more than miami?

last year miami reported to usnews that "99% of their grads for 2007 landed jobs that required a JD". for some reason i don't believe this.

Plus, the statistics fail to consider, (or at least report this) how well UMiami grads do, or don't do, in Miami and South Florida.

If the stats report everyone, including grads who have jobs out of S.Fl, I can see how the numbers would look low. Since, UMiami works the best in S.Fl.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”