Tulane with $$ or GW sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW or Tulane?

GWU sticker
34%
Tulane with $
66%

Total votes: 38

vapourgypsy

Tulane with $$ or GW sticker?

Postby vapourgypsy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:05 pm

Looking for some input. I just got into GW and am SO pumped, as I love DC and the school. However, I am really freaking out about the cost of attendance, and am not hopeful about receiving merit aid. I've also gotten into Tulane with some money - $67,500 over 3 years, contigent on keeping a 3.0 GPA (which is about their median from what I've seen).

I'm primarily interested in doing PI, so I know I won't be making a ton of money. However, I don't know where I want to practice, and I feel as though GW is a lot more mobile than Tulane. From everything I've seen I really like Tulane, although I haven't made it down for a visit yet. I am still waiting to hear back from some other schools, but not ones I expect any real money from, so I have a feeling that these might end up being my best two options. If it helps, my #s are 168/3.21

Thanks so much for any input!

wadeny

Re: Tulane with $$ or GW sticker?

Postby wadeny » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:20 pm

It's a tough call. Personally, if you have no major preference for location, I would say go to Tulane. With that $$$, you're probably looking at paying around $25k/yr (including COL), assuming, of course, that you meet the scholarship requirements. If you really want to get into PI, less debt=win IMO.

GWU has an estimated cost of $70k+/yr (including COL), so you would likely be going into a tremendous amount of debt, although GW may have better LRAP than Tulane (--LinkRemoved--). I would weigh the two schools carefully, but again if you're primarily looking to do PI work, you need to save as much $ as possible.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Don't pay sticker outside T14.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Don't pay sticker outside T14.

+1 - PI jobs and gov. jobs are really competitive right now. I wouldn't bank on LRAP coming to save the day. The DC market is rough, and you'll have tons of competition from the other 499 GW students there, most of which will be looking for gov./PI work because biglaw won't be an option.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:30 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Don't pay sticker outside T14.

I agree, but what other options do you have at this point? I don't like GW at sticker (not worth sticker and I am deterred by the fact that you would have 550 fellow classmates in one of the most competitve legal markets in the country), but I also don't like Tulane even with a 60% scholarship.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:31 pm

vapourgypsy wrote:Looking for some input. I just got into GW and am SO pumped, as I love DC and the school. However, I am really freaking out about the cost of attendance, and am not hopeful about receiving merit aid. I've also gotten into Tulane with some money - $67,500 over 3 years, contigent on keeping a 3.0 GPA (which is about their median from what I've seen).

I'm primarily interested in doing PI, so I know I won't be making a ton of money. However, I don't know where I want to practice, and I feel as though GW is a lot more mobile than Tulane. From everything I've seen I really like Tulane, although I haven't made it down for a visit yet. I am still waiting to hear back from some other schools, but not ones I expect any real money from, so I have a feeling that these might end up being my best two options. If it helps, my #s are 168/3.21

No law school is worth sticker outside of HYS solely because if you rank in the bottom 1% (which there is a 1% chance anyone will), you will still have more opportunities than around 90% of anyone else who finishes law school the same year you do.

Anyway, I'm a Tulane 1L and I will answer questions if you PM me.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:36 pm

vapourgypsy wrote:Looking for some input. I just got into GW and am SO pumped, as I love DC and the school. However, I am really freaking out about the cost of attendance, and am not hopeful about receiving merit aid. I've also gotten into Tulane with some money - $67,500 over 3 years, contigent on keeping a 3.0 GPA (which is about their median from what I've seen).

(Based on $70,488 tuition + COL)
For GW without $, you will have $244,721.08 debt by 2013
In terms of monthly payment, under a 10 years repayment plan, it will be $2974.71 and $1896.32 for a 25 years plan

For Tulane with $22,500/yr, you will have $127,436.32 debt by 2013
In terms of monthly payment, under a 10 years repayment plan, it will be $1520.55 and $951.91 for 25 years plan.

If you are planning to wrok in PI, then you probably can do it with LARP and IBR.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm

baboon309 wrote:

(Based on $70,488 tuition + COL)
In terms of monthly payment, under a 10 years repayment plan, it will be $2974.71 and $1896.32 for a 25 years plan

In terms of monthly payment, under a 10 years repayment plan, it will be $1520.55 and $951.91 for 25 years plan.

If you are planning to wrok in PI, then you probably can do it with LARP and IBR.

Planning and doing are 2 different things. PI isn't a given. I don't understand why everyone thinks, "no biggy if I don't get into a firm and my grades suck, I can always call one of those PI people and they would take me in a second even though my resume reaks of failing to get into a law firm!"

Prepare for the worst from either school.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:53 am

baboon309 wrote:(Based on $70,488 tuition + COL)

I would pay for it while you are in school if you can.
I'd definitely take GW over Tulane, especially if you want a bit of portability.

vapourgypsy

Postby vapourgypsy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:06 pm

superflush wrote:I'd definitely take GW over Tulane, especially if you want a bit of portability

This is what I keep coming back to. While I have no issue with going to LS in the South, I'm from the Northeast and don't know if I can see myself residing down there for too long after law school. Meanwhile, I can see myself staying in DC for some time, and if I moved I think the GW degree would treat me better.

Thanks for all your input! Still so much to mull over...At least I know I'm going somewhere :)

nianlong

Postby nianlong » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:40 pm

A lot of us at Tulane choose to go here in part for the relative portability of the degree. GW seems to be a similar school with similar portability though its primary market is not in the South. The question is whether you want to pay the extra $ in case your grades make you "stuck" in the market where your school is.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:50 pm

vapourgypsy wrote:
superflush wrote:I'd definitely take GW over Tulane, especially if you want a bit of portability

This is what I keep coming back to. While I have no issue with going to LS in the South, I'm from the Northeast and don't know if I can see myself residing down there for too long after law school. Meanwhile, I can see myself staying in DC for some time, and if I moved I think the GW degree would treat me better.

Thanks for all your input! Still so much to mull over...At least I know I'm going somewhere :)

Are we forgetting the math a couple of posters previous did. Even if he/she was over-estimating, you'd be paying $2,000-2500/month for your loans! How do you propose paying that if you're not in the top 5% (maybe 10%) and cannot get a six-figure salary? Does GW even have a LRAP for PI work? Even if they do, it must be stressed that ITE even the low-paying PI jobs are harder to obtain because that's everyone's backup plan. You always have IBR, but if you're not working in PI, you'll be paying off those loans until you're almost retired.

Even in light of that, you would choose GW because it could treat you better?

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:47 pm

OP, there must be other options for you apart from these two. With a 168/3.2 you should be looking at $$ from schools ranked in the 20s.

GW is definitely too pricey for what it is. COL is horrendous to boot. Tulane, meanwhile, seems like too much of a safety for you. If for whatever reason you are set on these two choices, try negotiating some money out of GW.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:44 pm

UFMatt wrote:OP, there must be other options for you apart from these two. With a 168/3.2 you should be looking at $$ from schools ranked in the 20s.

GW is definitely too pricey for what it is. COL is horrendous to boot. Tulane, meanwhile, seems like too much of a safety for you. If for whatever reason you are set on these two choices, try negotiating some money out of GW.

WM WM WM!!!!! Good school on the cheap. I would look there ASAP.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
UFMatt wrote:OP, there must be other options for you apart from these two. With a 168/3.2 you should be looking at $$ from schools ranked in the 20s.

WM WM WM!!!!! Good school on the cheap. I would look there ASAP.

+1. Seriously, OP, GW is a good school, but I don't think it's good enough to justify that level of debt, especially ITE. W&M is a solid school with much more reasonable tuition and COL. $2,000+/month in loan payments might not sound like a lot now, but you would be really rolling the dice on this one.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:29 pm

wadeny wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:$2,000+/month in loan payments might not sound like a lot now,

I don't know about yall, but it definitely sounds like a ton now. I agree with the above posters about looking at some other schools, but if these are the options, go with Tulane.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”