School Rep / Personal Statement Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JDLaf

New

School Rep / Personal Statement

Post by JDLaf » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:55 am

A couple questions for everyone. Be honest as well.

I am currently in the process of applying to law schools and the Air Force's law program (I am active duty currently). Seeing as I would already have a job upon graduation from law school (AF JAG) how big of a factor should I place on the school's reputation? Obviously it is a big factor if I wasn't guarenteed a job upon graduation.

Also, how much of an emphasis should I place in my personal statement that I am actve duty military, having completed 3 deployments to OIF at the time of application? From what I understand most schools want a diverse population of students and I believe being active duty military with multiple deployments could help my out my case but please correct me if I am wrong.

Any insights/comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

lawyer879

New

Re: School Rep / Personal Statement

Post by lawyer879 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 pm

I think you should get into the absolute best school you can possibly get into. If it takes some extra time to get into a top school, then do it. You never know where your life will take you...

You can always use that t-14 law degree for something other than Big Law or otherwise fancy lawyer job, but its a much more difficult road to use your small-state-school degree and decide one day to go Big Law... You know what I'm saying?

As to the second part of your question, I think your military service is very unique. Make sure to include all of your deployments on your resume. You might want to consider picking out an aspect of your service that inspired your interest in law. I love personal statements that have a huge "WOW" factor but are not so obvious about the desire to do so...

JDLaf

New

Re: School Rep / Personal Statement

Post by JDLaf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Lawyer879,
I know what you are saying in regards to getting into the best law school possible. I want to stay in the general area I am currently stationed and there are definitely some GREAT schools here but I am also going to apply to my "safe" schools. But I am definitely working hard to get into the top schools here.

What is the best way to include the deployments into my resume? Of course I want to emphasize my service and deployments to further enhance my personal statement and my application as a whole but I do not want to do it in a manner that makes it so obvious like you said. I believe there is a fine line that I need to find in order for the personal statement to come off just right. Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”