George Mason Vs. American

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Both are festering dumps. Don't worry about the differences between the two.

Neither, retake

sah
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 am

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Postby sah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Very interesting to read the old posts and see how much TLS CW has changed...goes to show what a couple of years of a moribund market, accurate employment stats, and Paul Campos can do. "Definitely definitely go to American if you want something international" - lolz.

OP, don't go to either unless you will graduate with <100k debt, and preferably <50k debt, and have realistic goals. Period.

sah
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 am

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Postby sah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Didn't read the original post fully. Unsure how you're financing it, but for lobbying, part-time makes sense. A friend of mine is doing this route. Keeps debt down, and will allow you to develop your resume and your contacts. DC is all about who-you-know. Just make sure you do not take out too much debt. Entry level Hill salaries are not good.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Postby haus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:12 pm

sah wrote:Didn't read the original post fully. Unsure how you're financing it, but for lobbying, part-time makes sense. A friend of mine is doing this route. Keeps debt down, and will allow you to develop your resume and your contacts. DC is all about who-you-know. Just make sure you do not take out too much debt. Entry level Hill salaries are not good.

Considering the OP was submitted over 4 years ago, I suspect that his/her choice, whatever it was has likely been made by now.

dibreezy
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 am

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Postby dibreezy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 pm

LOL

I think he was referring to me as OP because I necromanced this thread.

COA at Catholic is <50k so I have to give it serious consideration. When I receive all of my responses I will begin attempts to negotiate.

And yeah PT is how I am doing law school. No point in having a law degree but being completely unable to relate with congressman and LAs. Even if its from Catholic...

mraemorris
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Postby mraemorris » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:42 pm

As someone who also considered both schools, here's my two cents:

-American dropped several spots in rankings this year (I believe somewhere in the seventies), so the difference in prestige is greater. Also, its worth noting that, if you want to be a practicing attorney, I've heard Catholic is actually better at prepping you for that (though not prestigious).
-GMU in-state tuition is great, and their aid is on the generous side for the DMV area.
-My impression from the admissions department for both schools is that, while American has more money, GMU seemed a lot more interested in me attending their school than American did. GMU seemed to really care about their students and their tracks are really adaptable to what you want to do. Obviously, American is great with networking in DC, particularly for international interests.

I think you have to choose which is the right fit for you, because they're very different schools. Good luck with your choice - let us know what you do!

Edit: btw I actually got waitlisted at American - trying not to be a hater, but I thought I'd disclose :)

The Dark Shepard
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Postby The Dark Shepard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:48 pm

I got waitlisted at America too. That was kind of a WTF moment given I got in to GWU

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Postby deuceindc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:11 am

dibreezy wrote:Because when pressed this is what I was told by lobbyist's that an individual with a law degree and Hill experience is all they are really interested in hiring.


So get a job on the Hill and go PT.

If you don't have Hill experience, you won't get a lobbying gig anyway, and it's much easier to survive them without a shitload of law school debt.

dibreezy
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 am

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Postby dibreezy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 am

deuceindc wrote:
dibreezy wrote:Because when pressed this is what I was told by lobbyist's that an individual with a law degree and Hill experience is all they are really interested in hiring.


So get a job on the Hill and go PT.

If you don't have Hill experience, you won't get a lobbying gig anyway, and it's much easier to survive them without a shitload of law school debt.


Yep. That's the plan.

User avatar
fratstar1
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Postby fratstar1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:26 am

GMU has cut enrollement in half from 300 to 150ish, maybe bump in employement statistics? WCL is where DC Law aspirations go to die.

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Postby deuceindc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:38 am

dibreezy wrote:
deuceindc wrote:
dibreezy wrote:Because when pressed this is what I was told by lobbyist's that an individual with a law degree and Hill experience is all they are really interested in hiring.


So get a job on the Hill and go PT.

If you don't have Hill experience, you won't get a lobbying gig anyway, and it's much easier to survive them without a shitload of law school debt.


Yep. That's the plan.


So what exactly are you asking for advice about? None of these schools gives you a statistically-good shot at general legal employment - you can compare the numbers, but all are under 40% LT, FT legal employment after you subtract school-funded jobs. Your lobbyist-hiring source should be able to tell you which school would be better for that industry.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests