Wake (w/scholarship) or UGA???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wake or UGA?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Wake
61%
UGA
39%

Total votes: 18

lawschooliseasy

Re: Wake (w/scholarship) or UGA???

Postby lawschooliseasy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:23 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:Hi everyone! I am still waiting on Carolina (likely will be rejected), but otherwise I will be choosing between Wake and UGA. I have an 18,000 a year scholarship at Wake and I'll be paying out of state tution at UGA for the first year at least - then probably in state for the 2nd and 3rd years. (Makes a trivial tution difference between the two) I don't really care where I practice as long as it is near the coast! Also, kind of interested in Environmental Law, but not 100% on that. Thanks for the advice!

Depends. Is it one of those fake Wake scholarships, or the real deal?

gogo

Postby gogo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:17 am

I am really committed to moving to DC after school. I am also choosing between Wake and UGA as of now. I'm assuming Wake would place better in DC? Anyone have advice to offer regarding either schools rep there?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:27 am

gogo wrote:I am really committed to moving to DC after school. I am also choosing between Wake and UGA as of now. I'm assuming Wake would place better in DC? Anyone have advice to offer regarding either schools rep there?

None specifically but I can tell you that 3/4 of UGA's class stays in GA. If you're dead set on DC and those are your options, all else being equal, I'd take Wake too.

TarheelHopeful

Postby TarheelHopeful » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful advice. Sadly, I still have not made a decision and deposits are due early April! I was waiting to hear from Carolina, but I've given up on them. Anyways, I think I am leaning towards Wake (18K a year scholly) over UGA (7k nonrenewable tuition equalizer scholly). I visited Wake Forest and I got an average vibe about it. I have not visited UGA and was thinking about going tomorrow for the weekend. I just don't know where I want to live! I think I would like to do BigLaw for around 5 years and then move to a coastal city. Should I work in Raleigh and then move to something like Wilmington NC? Or should I work in Atlanta and then try and find a coastal city there? God, I am so lost at this point. What are other people choosing with these schools as options?????

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:45 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:Thanks everyone for all of the helpful advice. Sadly, I still have not made a decision and deposits are due early April! I was waiting to hear from Carolina, but I've given up on them. Anyways, I think I am leaning towards Wake (18K a year scholly) over UGA (7k nonrenewable tuition equalizer scholly). I visited Wake Forest and I got an average vibe about it. I have not visited UGA and was thinking about going tomorrow for the weekend. I just don't know where I want to live! I think I would like to do BigLaw for around 5 years and then move to a coastal city. Should I work in Raleigh and then move to something like Wilmington NC? Or should I work in Atlanta and then try and find a coastal city there? God, I am so lost at this point. What are other people choosing with these schools as options?????

Still battling, just realized that if I want to hold my scholly at Wake my deposit is due 4/1 .... I think I'm just going to suck it up and pay it hoping I can get more aid after the deadline. I am going to UGA this weekend though, maybe that will make the decision a little easier one way or another. I felt very neutral about Wake too, not great not bad just sort of meh.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:01 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:Thanks everyone for all of the helpful advice. Sadly, I still have not made a decision and deposits are due early April! I was waiting to hear from Carolina, but I've given up on them. Anyways, I think I am leaning towards Wake (18K a year scholly) over UGA (7k nonrenewable tuition equalizer scholly). I visited Wake Forest and I got an average vibe about it. I have not visited UGA and was thinking about going tomorrow for the weekend. I just don't know where I want to live! I think I would like to do BigLaw for around 5 years and then move to a coastal city. Should I work in Raleigh and then move to something like Wilmington NC? Or should I work in Atlanta and then try and find a coastal city there? God, I am so lost at this point. What are other people choosing with these schools as options?????

If you want to do big law, wake>uga. At least if you consider nlj250 big law.

However, the difference is 20% vs 15% so I think its not a smart idea to only go to a school because of big law chances. (not that you can't aim for it- get it !)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”