Wake (w/scholarship) or UGA???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wake or UGA?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Wake
61%
UGA
39%

Total votes: 18

keg411

Re: Wake (w/scholarship) or UGA???

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Can y'all pick Wake so I can get UGA? :lol: ;) (Although I suppose I'd take Wake too if they'll take me and my deadline app).

women'ssoccer

Postby women'ssoccer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:31 pm

tarheel87 wrote:
First, Wake's small classes = better, especially ITE. With more than half of Wake's class leaving the state I think they would be in some demand in state, with only about 75 graduates staying in NC.

Second, Wake places into Atlanta some while UGA barely places into NC (and then mostly just with ties to the area from what I understand). Do you really think a UGA degree will place into NC as well as a Wake degree will place into GA? I'm not sure but I really don't think so.

Also, Emory is to UGA what UNC is to Wake, sorta in terms of their relationships (probably slightly superior but generally equal). Duke is a non-factor. Both states have two dominant schools and UGA and Wake are among those. With half of Emory and Wake and even UNC leaving that leaves UGA as the most regional of the four. In NC you have half of UNC and Wake, in GA you have most of UGA and some Emory plus Vandy and other T14s coming in to compete in Atlanta (I doubt many T14 students are looking to come to Charlotte or Raleigh). However, Atlanta has more jobs so perhaps its a little more even than it initially seems.

+1

--ImageRemoved--

I think that Athen's appeal over Winston is overrated.

edit: those pictures are of Winston.
Last edited by women'ssoccer on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Ill add my 2cents....

I didnt apply to UGA, but I did apply (and got accepted by wake), so you would think I would have a biased opinion towards wf. However, it seems that you, womens soccer at looking at wake (and w-s for that matter) through some rose colored classes. nothing to me signals wake so much ahead of uga. a lot of your points are either opinion or facts that are somewhat taken out of context.

So, wake v uga all comes down to where you feel most comfortable studying for the next three years since they seem to be peer schools. I would think athens would be a more entertaining town, since w-s was pretty crappy from my experience.

women'ssoccer

Postby women'ssoccer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:34 pm

moandersen wrote:Ill add my 2cents....

I didnt apply to UGA, but I did apply (and get accepted by wake), so you would think I would have a biased opinion towards wf. However, it seems that you, womens soccer at looking at wake (and w-s for that matter) through some rose colored classes. nothing to me signals wake so much ahead of uga. a lot of your points are either opinion or facts that are somewhat taken out of context.

So, wake v uga all comes down to where you feel most comfortable studying for the next three years since they seem to be peer schools. I would think athens would be a more entertaining town, since w-s was pretty crappy from my experience.

Of course many of my points are opinions...I dont see you point. I used the phrase "imho" more than once.

But I have included more than a few facts. Not sure what facts you think I've taken out of context, however???? (i'll reform if I have indeed done so egregiously. )

o yea, and Athens was pretty crappy in my experience, so there. (or are you the only one that can use opinions in evaluating LS's :wink: )

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:48 pm

women'ssoccer wrote:
moandersen wrote:Ill add my 2cents....

I didnt apply to UGA, but I did apply (and get accepted by wake), so you would think I would have a biased opinion towards wf. However, it seems that you, womens soccer at looking at wake (and w-s for that matter) through some rose colored classes. nothing to me signals wake so much ahead of uga. a lot of your points are either opinion or facts that are somewhat taken out of context.

Agree that I am baised toward Winston--and clearly trying to focus on the good. That should be clear. I've used the term "imho" more than once.

But I have included more than a few facts. Not sure what facts you think I've taken out of context, however???? (i'll reform if I have indeed done so egregiously. )

o yea, and Athens was pretty crappy in my experience, so there. (or are you the only one that can use opinions in evaluating LS's :wink: )

no, everyone can have their opinion - sorry if i came across that way.

but when you state things about endowment size, that doesnt necessarily mean the wakes law school benefits more than uga's, because im guessing that is the endowment of the entire university, correct? (think of it like a LR question).

also, wakes law building is not doubling in size. the building is staying the same size, they just no longer will be sharing it with the B-school in a year or so. and who knows how that is going to affect enrollment.

finally, when you talk about big law prospects, the % difference is so minimal its basically a wash.

I know im nitpicking, but your statements can be somewhat misleading to those who dont critically examine what you are writing. Im not wf bashing though - I loved my visit wake forest and can totally picture attending. :D

women'ssoccer

Postby women'ssoccer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:58 pm

moandersen wrote:

but when you state things about endowment size, that doesnt necessarily mean the wakes law school benefits more than uga's, because im guessing that is the endowment of the entire university, correct? (think of it like a LR question).

also, wakes law building is not doubling in size. the building is staying the same size, they just no longer will be sharing it with the B-school in a year or so. and who knows how that is going to affect enrollment.

finally, when you talk about big law prospects, the % difference is so minimal its basically a wash.

I know im nitpicking, but your statements can be somewhat misleading to those who dont critically examine what you are writing. Im not wf bashing though - I loved my visit wake forest and can totally picture attending. :D

endowment: yes. that is for the entire university. perhaps it is unwarranted to assume a correlation between University Endowment and LS Endowment. But I did not make that assumption I dont think. I did, however, assume that a university with a high endowment would bode well for a member of that university...duh.

Law Building: are you serious. The law school shared Worrell Hall with the B-school 50/50. The B-school is moving out and the LS is moving into that 50% of of Worrell, thereby going from occupiing half of Worrell to all of Worrell. And, further, they are adding onto the actual structure--making it a "singiture" peice of WFU--according to Dean Morat. The law school is absolutley doubling in its physical size (and becoming much prettier---All in a recession mind you--15million in renovations ---From Dean Morat ). Any issue you take with my statement is in fact message board nitpicking, or me not taking pains to be 100% unequivocal.

--ImageRemoved--

only one of those arms is the LS, the other is the B-school. But, the LS is taking over both arms, and actually connecting the two w/ a rotunta entrance.

Big Law: I said WFU dominated UNC for '09 Biglaw and '09 clerkships. That is a fact: UNC 15% NJL250, WFU 20%, UNC 5 clerks and WFU 10. Another fact is that WFU placed 20% in NJL250 in '09 whereas UGa placed 15.8%.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

I can't find the clerkship stats, but I memorized WFU and UNC's numbers. I'll post that source when I dig it up.

imho: WFU>>>UGa going away.
Last edited by women'ssoccer on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:06 pm

didnt read anything the other people said but go to UGA, while you're young enough to have fun.
EDIT: and try to negotiate scholarship $

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:37 pm

I still don't know ... As someone who would prefer (read WANTS TO LIVE) in Charlotte, I'm still scared about choosing Wake over UGA. Both will cost almost exactly the same for me, and believe me I have familial ties to NC, I would rather be there, but secondary markets to Charlotte in NC gross me out. Charlotte>ATL>anywhere else.

I still have to visit UGA and Athens to look at the school, but I have been to the town once before and loved it, very artsy/college town. I've been to Winston countless times and could not agree with moanderson more, anyone who is excited about Winston Salem as a town has very different ideas about "nice" and "fun" than I do, there is NOTHING in Winston Salem, NC. Although I do know they have been trying really hard to revamp downtown and make it at least presentable.

I was also pretty underwhelmed by Wake's building, their campus is nice but I didn't love the law building. And you're not kidding about those OCI interview rooms .. yuck.

tarheel87 wrote:Also, Emory is to UGA what UNC is to Wake, sorta in terms of their relationships (probably slightly superior but generally equal). Duke is a non-factor. Both states have two dominant schools and UGA and Wake are among those. With half of Emory and Wake and even UNC leaving that leaves UGA as the most regional of the four. In NC you have half of UNC and Wake, in GA you have most of UGA and some Emory plus Vandy and other T14s coming in to compete in Atlanta (I doubt many T14 students are looking to come to Charlotte or Raleigh). However, Atlanta has more jobs so perhaps its a little more even than it initially seems.

Where are you getting the information for the bolded above? 1/2 of UNC and Wake grads leaving the state? I find that really hard to believe. Also, TBF, being regional isn't necessarily a bad thing in this instance as alumni connections are often equated to preference.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:54 pm

women'ssoccer wrote:o yea, and Athens was pretty crappy in my experience, so there. (or are you the only one that can use opinions in evaluating LS's :wink: )

How did you have a bad time in Athens? Every time I have been to UGA, it's been a blast. Athens' bar scene and local atmosphere, in my opinion, is one of the best in America (for a college town).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:57 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:
women'ssoccer wrote:o yea, and Athens was pretty crappy in my experience, so there. (or are you the only one that can use opinions in evaluating LS's :wink: )

How did you have a bad time in Athens? Every time I have been to UGA, it's been a blast. Athens' bar scene and local atmosphere, in my opinion, is one of the best in America (for a college town).

I wondered the same thing. What in the hell did women'ssoccer do for four years?

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:08 pm

missvik218 wrote:I still don't know ... As someone who would prefer (read WANTS TO LIVE) in Charlotte, I'm still scared about choosing Wake over UGA. Both will cost almost exactly the same for me, and believe me I have familial ties to NC, I would rather be there, but secondary markets to Charlotte in NC gross me out. Charlotte>ATL>anywhere else.

I still have to visit UGA and Athens to look at the school, but I have been to the town once before and loved it, very artsy/college town. I've been to Winston countless times and could not agree with moanderson more, anyone who is excited about Winston Salem as a town has very different ideas about "nice" and "fun" than I do, there is NOTHING in Winston Salem, NC. Although I do know they have been trying really hard to revamp downtown and make it at least presentable.

I was also pretty underwhelmed by Wake's building, their campus is nice but I didn't love the law building. And you're not kidding about those OCI interview rooms .. yuck.

tarheel87 wrote:Also, Emory is to UGA what UNC is to Wake, sorta in terms of their relationships (probably slightly superior but generally equal). Duke is a non-factor. Both states have two dominant schools and UGA and Wake are among those. With half of Emory and Wake and even UNC leaving that leaves UGA as the most regional of the four. In NC you have half of UNC and Wake, in GA you have most of UGA and some Emory plus Vandy and other T14s coming in to compete in Atlanta (I doubt many T14 students are looking to come to Charlotte or Raleigh). However, Atlanta has more jobs so perhaps its a little more even than it initially seems.

Where are you getting the information for the bolded above? 1/2 of UNC and Wake grads leaving the state? I find that really hard to believe. Also, TBF, being regional isn't necessarily a bad thing in this instance as alumni connections are often equated to preference.

I'm trying to be as open to both as possible, but I don't think either of us is going to be swayed away from the respective schools we are leaning toward. And that's ok because they're both great schools and very similar in terms of placement. I don't think anyone will be handicapped by going to one over the other (honestly that applies to UNC as well). That said I hope this thread continues for a while because I'd like to hear as much as possible comparing these two schools.

This link (http://www.law.unc.edu/documents/admiss ... heet09.pdf) shows that about half of UNC grads go out of state. While I can't find exact information on Wake, it is relatively common knowledge I believe that Wake places about half (usually a little more) of its class out of state and I know for a fact it was in the brochures they hand out if you visit. That being said, well over half Wake's class is from out of state (for this most recent class it was 75%!).

women'ssoccer

Postby women'ssoccer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 pm

rad law wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:

I wondered the same thing. What in the hell did women'ssoccer do for four years?

I visited UGa, didn't go there.

I think part of the problem was that I visited on a Monday....in the middle of Winter...after classes were out. :|

Still, I wasn't impressed. I had an incredable mental conception of what Athens would be like...and when I got there, it was just the poor man's version of a hipster town.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:33 am

tarheel87 wrote:I'm trying to be as open to both as possible, but I don't think either of us is going to be swayed away from the respective schools we are leaning toward. And that's ok because they're both great schools and very similar in terms of placement. I don't think anyone will be handicapped by going to one over the other (honestly that applies to UNC as well). That said I hope this thread continues for a while because I'd like to hear as much as possible comparing these two schools.

This link (http://www.law.unc.edu/documents/admiss ... heet09.pdf) shows that about half of UNC grads go out of state. While I can't find exact information on Wake, it is relatively common knowledge I believe that Wake places about half (usually a little more) of its class out of state and I know for a fact it was in the brochures they hand out if you visit. That being said, well over half Wake's class is from out of state (for this most recent class it was 75%!).

:lol: I know (you're trying to remain communicative rather than argumentative) and I thank you! I was pretty dead set on UGA, but I'm back to about 65/35 now so it is actually making a difference for me ... thanks for the info!

It appears you're right about the regionality of the schools; approx 55% of UNC grads stay in-state and 75% of UGA grads. Although that could easily be self-selection because UGA grads have a large legal market in-state (about half of those who stay in-state go to ATL).

Wake's OOS placement doesn't surprise me, but I tend to believe it's more tied to having a less regional student body (who have their own connections in other markets) rather than a school with truly national placement. Wake is a lot like Tulane with its ability to place well beyond the LA/TX/AL region despite its rank. On their website though they have that map of currently employed alum (2004-2008) with 347 in NC and considerably fewer in surrounding states; VA (39), TN (13), GA (47), SC (18).

http://law.wfu.edu/career/stats/

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:38 pm

missvik218 wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:I'm trying to be as open to both as possible, but I don't think either of us is going to be swayed away from the respective schools we are leaning toward. And that's ok because they're both great schools and very similar in terms of placement. I don't think anyone will be handicapped by going to one over the other (honestly that applies to UNC as well). That said I hope this thread continues for a while because I'd like to hear as much as possible comparing these two schools.

:lol: I know (you're trying to remain communicative rather than argumentative) and I thank you! I was pretty dead set on UGA, but I'm back to about 65/35 now so it is actually making a difference for me ... thanks for the info!

It appears you're right about the regionality of the schools; approx 55% of UNC grads stay in-state and 75% of UGA grads. Although that could easily be self-selection because UGA grads have a large legal market in-state (about half of those who stay in-state go to ATL).

Wake's OOS placement doesn't surprise me, but I tend to believe it's more tied to having a less regional student body (who have their own connections in other markets) rather than a school with truly national placement. Wake is a lot like Tulane with its ability to place well beyond the LA/TX/AL region despite its rank. On their website though they have that map of currently employed alum (2004-2008) with 347 in NC and considerably fewer in surrounding states; VA (39), TN (13), GA (47), SC (18).

http://law.wfu.edu/career/stats/

Yeah, but they also go beyond surrounding... 36 in NY =)

The way it breaks down precentage wise, from what I've heard (and maybe some one can check the numbers?) is 50-60%NC, 10ish% NY, 9ish% Ga, 8-9ish percent Va, and the rest is mixed in the south east. I want to say I got this from melanie or some one else or a brochure at ASD. This is just for last year though, where is your link is what, 5 or 6 years.

Seems like if you want to you can easily leave NC (and not sure if I would want to).

Although Athens seems really cool and I'm digging the money I'm saving, the prospect of 3 out of every 4 grads staying in georgia seems a lil scary.

Decisions decisions

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:41 pm

women'ssoccer wrote:I think that Athens's appeal over Winston is overrated.

WS is nice, for sure, but I'd take about two dozen college towns above Winston-Salem.

artexprt

Postby artexprt » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Not to throw a wrench in this thread, but I couldn't see the point in starting a new one when the info here is so relevant.
I'm trying to decide between Emory w/ 72k, UGA with tuition equalization and 15K, or Wake (no $$ info yet, but I did get the bait and switch email!). & FWIW 102k from W&L (though I don't think I can go live in the middle of nowhere for three years)

If Wake doesn't come through on some scholly $, I can't see the justification in paying that much more to go there. Anyone willing to convince me otherwise?

Moving on: Is Emory that much better than UGA? On an older thread (and in this one) any differences between the two seem to be downplayed. I would be fine working in Atlanta, but don't want to be stuck there. The main draw UGA has for me, besides a better quality of life in Athens (not fighting in traffic all day, etc.) is the difference in debt. I will probably qualify for the full 8,500 in unsubsidized loans and regular stafford loans would be enough to cover the extra 1,000 in tuition plus COL.
Basically looking at 28,500 in tuition for UGA v. 57,000 for Emory + COL in Athens v. Atlanta.

Am I underestimating the differences between the two?? And overestimating the extra 30-40k of debt Emory entails??

Again, sorry to take the thread off topic somewhat. I just want to know where I'll be next year!

acstas87

Postby acstas87 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:59 am

women'ssoccer wrote:
rad law wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:

I visited UGa, didn't go there.

I think part of the problem was that I visited on a Monday....in the middle of Winter...after classes were out. :|

Still, I wasn't impressed. I had an incredable mental conception of what Athens would be like...and when I got there, it was just the poor man's version of a hipster town.

That's probably the best description I've seen of it. Not bad, but not the paradise people make it out to be. There really isn't that much to do outside bar-hopping but there are great people here.

TarheelHopeful

Postby TarheelHopeful » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks for all of the info everyone! Still, it seems like there is equal support for both schools. I am not that interested in bars, and so my interest for entertainment is a nice mall, nice movie theater, and tons of chain and local restaurants to choose from. Also, does anyone really know which area has better housing? I need a house with a fenced in yard, but everything I've seen on craiglist for under 1k seems mostly older and outdated. Oh, and does anyone know about placement the schools' placement in Florida?? Thanks and PS - posting pictures of the cities/campuses is helpful!

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:27 pm

married0L wrote:Go visit both and see which one you feel more comfortable at.

This. If the comfort level is equal at both, go Wake IMO.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:06 pm

I want your scholarship money to keep Wake in consideration, but definitely Wake :D. It's dirt-cheap to live in W-S ($400-$500 for a nice, even updated 1 or even 2 BR apt.), Wake has more regional reach, Wake places better into major firms and clerkships combined (if your interest is in that general realm), and I just really love the idea of 40-person 1L classes (NOT small section - that's normal).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:23 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:Oh, and does anyone know about placement the schools' placement in Florida??

Not worth going to over UF if you're sure you want to practice in FL.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm debating still. For right now Georgia is a little cheaper. For me, it will come down to $$$.

In response to OP's idea of entertainment-

I visited UGA. If you like bars, you'll have a blast. Although all the bars are always packed, so I feel like you need to be a pretty social person to be there.

Not that this is a make or break thing, but I noticed you said shopping/chain shops under entertainment. My fiancee and I visited the mall in WS and the one in athens.

The WS mall has at least 2x as many shops. It is hands down a better mall. Add to that there is an outlet mall 40 or so minutes from WS, and another regular mall about 30 minutes away, and you've got a lot of quality shopping in WS.

In terms of chains, I'd say they are pretty equal when it comes to Target/Best Buy/ Wal-mart/game stop etc.

I don't know if you find sports entertaining or not, but the people at UGA LOVE thier football team. I've never felt such a sense of community over a sport. I imagine the games are a blast. Their stadium fits roughly 90k people. so its a big deal and I imagine a lot of fun.

On the other hand, wake has a pretty good basketball team, although nowhere near as legendary as UGAs football program. I guess it depends if you are a basketball or football fan. If you do not have a preference, I imagine UGA is the better sporting experience.

In terms of local resteraunts, I'm not sure. Wake hassome good ones, but I really have not been to many. The only minus is that there's no area packed with resteraunts. No fun district.

UGA on the other hand has a lot of fun local places right near campus. However, My fiancee and I found the food pretty run-of -the-mill. Then again, some one in a Wake thread had a bad experience with WS food. Guess that one is still under debate?
Just my 2 cents on the non-drinking entertainment.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
The WS mall has at least 2x as many shops. It is hands down a better mall. Add to that there is an outlet mall 40 or so minutes from WS, and another regular mall about 30 minutes away, and you've got a lot of quality shopping in WS.

Athens is 20-30 minutes away from Commerce Georgia where there are tons of outlet stores. I don't mean one outlet mall. Multiple outlet malls. It's pretty nice.

tropskys

Postby tropskys » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:50 pm

I have no comment on either school but I am from Winston-Salem (as in grew up and attended K-12 there just went back this past weekend to visit my parents), took the LSAT at Wake and have friends that attend Wake Law.

Never been to UGA never been to Athens, but I do have a comment about the city of Winston-Salem -- it is a total social wasteland.

Of my friends that attended Wake Law not from Winston-Salem they always complained about how much Winston-Salem sucked. One of my friends was accepted to med school at both Wake and UNC, she chose UNC because she hated Winston-Salem (though she had also grown up in Winston-Salem).

So, perhaps my opinion is biased because I lived there for most of my life but Winston-Salem is nothing great -- it actually sucks except for Dewey's Bakery. That picture posted by someone in a previous post is ONE street downtown. The rest of downtown are old RJ Reynolds Tobacco company warehouses -- that's it (oh and the new bus station lol...well new as in within the past decade). The "Arts District" they created is nice in the summer with like 5 stores and that's it. The city is struggling to revitalize itself because all of its livelihood has been abandoned (i.e. the tobacco industry). That was the only thing Winston-Salem had to offer and now it's gone. If you attend Wake the good thing is that Charlotte is only an hour south and Raleigh/Durham is about an hour east.

Again, my opinion is only based on the city of Winston-Salem itself, I am not commenting on the quality of Wake or UGA.

acstas87

Postby acstas87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I'm debating still. For right now Georgia is a little cheaper. For me, it will come down to $$$.

In response to OP's idea of entertainment-

I visited UGA. If you like bars, you'll have a blast. Although all the bars are always packed, so I feel like you need to be a pretty social person to be there.

Not that this is a make or break thing, but I noticed you said shopping/chain shops under entertainment. My fiancee and I visited the mall in WS and the one in athens.

In terms of chains, I'd say they are pretty equal when it comes to Target/Best Buy/ Wal-mart/game stop etc.

I don't know if you find sports entertaining or not, but the people at UGA LOVE thier football team. I've never felt such a sense of community over a sport. I imagine the games are a blast. Their stadium fits roughly 90k people. so its a big deal and I imagine a lot of fun.

On the other hand, wake has a pretty good basketball team, although nowhere near as legendary as UGAs football program. I guess it depends if you are a basketball or football fan. If you do not have a preference, I imagine UGA is the better sporting experience.

In terms of local resteraunts, I'm not sure. Wake hassome good ones, but I really have not been to many. The only minus is that there's no area packed with resteraunts. No fun district.

UGA on the other hand has a lot of fun local places right near campus. However, My fiancee and I found the food pretty run-of -the-mill. Then again, some one in a Wake thread had a bad experience with WS food. Guess that one is still under debate?
Just my 2 cents on the non-drinking entertainment.

Just to add to the list there's an outlet mall about 30 minutes outside Athens in Commerce,GA too.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”