Wake (w/scholarship) or UGA???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wake or UGA?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Wake
61%
UGA
39%

Total votes: 18

kalvano

Re: Wake (w/scholarship) or UGA???

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:41 pm

I would take W&L.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:05 pm

married0L wrote:How would you guys weight this:

$60,000 at Wake
$72,000 at W&L
$15,000 (instate) at UGA

I think the wife and I want to be around Atlanta after law school. What are yall's thoughts?

UGA. Absolutely no question. By a long shot. With UGAs ATL placement, do not spend more money on those other schools.

firsttimer

Postby firsttimer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:14 pm

Athens is SUCH an awesome town and UGA, outside of NC, has many more prospects.

Threepeat

Postby Threepeat » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:47 pm

I have this same dilemma as well. OOS for Georgia, and an 18k/year scholly from Wake. It's a tough decision so I feel your pain. I'm visiting Georgia and Wake in back to back days so I'm hoping the decision will be easy one way or the other after the visits. I wish I could give you advice, but I'm in your shoes...I'll be lurking this thread. Good luck on your decision!

marshalltucker

Postby marshalltucker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Would UGA place better in NC than Wake would in GA? That is the question on my mind right now.

forumnewb

Postby forumnewb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:43 pm

missvik218 wrote:
The Zeppelin wrote:UGA. They'll most likely give you the tuition equalization scholly (depending on stats) for at least one semester. I'm sure Wake's scholly has a class rank requirement too.

It's probably top 2/3 that seems to be their status quo with scholarships.

I have this EXACT same issue right now barring some serious reach acceptances or real money from some other schools. I'm interested to see what people think about this, personally, I'm leaning towards UGA but am having a really hard time with it due to some familial connections in NC (and to Wake as a school) as well as a desire to be in Charlotte after graduation. The main concern with that being, are there even any jobs in Charlotte?!

I also REALLY want to enjoy myself as much as possible during law school - I'm trying to weigh the QOL in Athens vs. being an hour from my family.

Any law school is going to have as much reach as its alumni network, where UGA is vast. Charlotte is only two and half hours from Athens and judging from how many kids from Charlotte were there for undergrad, there are many direct alumni ties there. Also, from what I've read, your mobility post-grad has mostly to do with your class rank. If you go to UGA and take a job with, for example, King & Spalding, which is based in Atlanta but has offices in Charlotte, DC, and New York, etc., I don't think you will suffer from lacking mobility. People seem to forget that there is something to be said for how good of a lawyer you become after school, not just where you went.

marshalltucker

Postby marshalltucker » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:20 pm

bump

nianlong

Postby nianlong » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:15 pm

UGA, outside of NC, has many more prospects.

I really don't think this is the case. Depends on what kind of prospects I suppose.

TarheelHopeful

Postby TarheelHopeful » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Hey all! I actually started this thread and then rudely disappeared, lol. Life gets crazy busy sometimes. Anyways, as an update, I have received the tuition equalizer scholarship at UGA for the SECOND semester. So that means 18,000/year scholly at wake forest vs. OOS tuition for UGA for only 1 semester. Still have not had a chance to visit. I was hoping to hear from UNC by now (since I wouldn't visit Wake/UGA if I got in), but since they are taking their sweet time, I guess I will visit soon. And to clarify my previous desire to work "near the coast" - I mean I would love to work in a larger city near the coast anywhere from Florida to NC. I know I'm being vague. I'm sure I'll have to work a few years say in Altanta, Winston Salem, or Raleigh first. Well, if anybody has visited both schools or has any other advice, I'd love to hear it!! Thanks everyone!

PS - I am a straight female - So the "good looking women" at UGA aren't really a bonus lol.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:14 am

TarheelHopeful wrote:PS - I am a straight female - So the "good looking women" at UGA aren't really a bonus lol.

I also hope/think UGA has good looking dudes!!

acstas87

Postby acstas87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:40 pm

missvik218 wrote:
The Zeppelin wrote:UGA. They'll most likely give you the tuition equalization scholly (depending on stats) for at least one semester. I'm sure Wake's scholly has a class rank requirement too.

It's probably top 2/3 that seems to be their status quo with scholarships.

I have this EXACT same issue right now barring some serious reach acceptances or real money from some other schools. I'm interested to see what people think about this, personally, I'm leaning towards UGA but am having a really hard time with it due to some familial connections in NC (and to Wake as a school) as well as a desire to be in Charlotte after graduation. The main concern with that being, are there even any jobs in Charlotte?!

I also REALLY want to enjoy myself as much as possible during law school - I'm trying to weigh the QOL in Athens vs. being an hour from my family.

Seems like these two are competing pretty heavily over the same applicants.
I'm trying to decide between UGA with a $5,000 scholly, Wake with a $22,500 scholly (hoping for Fletcher) and $30,000 scholly at W&L.

I'm an undergrad here in Athens and the University System in Georgia is getting murdered again by state budget cuts, cuts private schools don't have to face. I just got back from a Wake visit yesterday and liked what I saw personally, but without a Fletcher it'd be more than both W&L and UGA for similar placement imo.

acstas87

Postby acstas87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:53 pm

TarheelHopeful wrote:Hey all! I actually started this thread and then rudely disappeared, lol. Life gets crazy busy sometimes. Anyways, as an update, I have received the tuition equalizer scholarship at UGA for the SECOND semester. So that means 18,000/year scholly at wake forest vs. OOS tuition for UGA for only 1 semester. Still have not had a chance to visit. I was hoping to hear from UNC by now (since I wouldn't visit Wake/UGA if I got in), but since they are taking their sweet time, I guess I will visit soon. And to clarify my previous desire to work "near the coast" - I mean I would love to work in a larger city near the coast anywhere from Florida to NC. I know I'm being vague. I'm sure I'll have to work a few years say in Altanta, Winston Salem, or Raleigh first. Well, if anybody has visited both schools or has any other advice, I'd love to hear it!! Thanks everyone!

PS - I am a straight female - So the "good looking women" at UGA aren't really a bonus lol.

I've visited Wake and I'm here at UGA now, and am from coastal Georgia, so I've covered some I've got a few bases covered right?

When I visited Wake there were a lot UNC people attending and seemed to be a consensus among them that Chapel Hill and Athens are very similar to one another. (I also heard from them that UNC has an indecipherable admissions process.)

Athens and Winston Salem don't have much in common from what I could see except that both have a low cost of living.

women'ssoccer

Postby women'ssoccer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:59 pm

I vote Wake>>>>>UGa.
Last edited by women'ssoccer on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

acstas87

Postby acstas87 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:03 am

marshalltucker wrote:Would UGA place better in NC than Wake would in GA? That is the question on my mind right now.

I was wondering the same thing. Wake grads leave North Carolina at a higher rate, but most of their students are from out of state to begin with and UGA grads cluster in Atlanta (plus many are in-state), so I don't know if there's a good way to tell.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 am

In light of a recent bloodbath involving my reach schools I'm again seriously considering this dilemma. I'm leaning toward UGA. While I have yet to visit (I will for ASD at the end of the month) I don't think that a visit to Athens is going to hurt UGA's chances. I've been to Wake/Winson countless times, I have two older siblings who both went to Wake UG and I visited the law school in the fall.

Still looking to hear some other people's ideas, but as someone who is ultimately interested in practicing in a big city in the south DC/Charlotte/ATL I think UGA>Wake for networking and placement. Anyone else still struggling with this? What do people think about one of these two vs. say GW at sticker or WUSTL with a smaller scholly for the south (cities mentioned above)?

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:27 pm

missvik218 wrote:In light of a recent bloodbath involving my reach schools I'm again seriously considering this dilemma. I'm leaning toward UGA. While I have yet to visit (I will for ASD at the end of the month) I don't think that a visit to Athens is going to hurt UGA's chances. I've been to Wake/Winson countless times, I have two older siblings who both went to Wake UG and I visited the law school in the fall.

Still looking to hear some other people's ideas, but as someone who is ultimately interested in practicing in a big city in the south DC/Charlotte/ATL I think UGA>Wake for networking and placement. Anyone else still struggling with this? What do people think about one of these two vs. say GW at sticker or WUSTL with a smaller scholly for the south (cities mentioned above)?

I definitely wouldn't WUSTL for the south. There just isn't the alumni network. In fact, outside of the mid-west, I don't think that a lot of people have even really heard of WUSTL or know that it's a good law school. So if your goal is the south, I would definitely go to UG or Wake first. GW's a little more difficult, but I'd still do UGa for the south; especially paying full price at GW...

I think you're right that UGa is better for networking and placement, but I also think that it's close enough where I'd choose the school that I felt more comfortable at and felt I would do better at.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Barring a UNC acceptance, this is going to be my exact same scenario. I think Wake would be a better academic experience but UGA would be a better environment. In the end it comes down to where you want to practice I think and for me thats NC. Still can't say I'm completely decided though.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:08 pm

tarheel87 wrote:Barring a UNC acceptance, this is going to be my exact same scenario. I think Wake would be a better academic experience but UGA would be a better environment. In the end it comes down to where you want to practice I think and for me thats NC. Still can't say I'm completely decided though.

just to throw it out, Wake seemed very cool when I was there.

women'ssoccer

Postby women'ssoccer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:12 pm

Athens really isn't all that great...it's kind of trashy (the poor man's chapel hill, imho). I mean, if I wanted to rush a frat during 1L it might be tight.

As states, NC >>>>>>>Ga anyday.

'09 NJL250 and Clerkship hiring puts WFU>>>UGa.

There is no question that Wake has a better repution and academics.

I do agree, however, that this choice is essentially one of location.

For the Carolinas or East Coast (NC and above), Wake.
For UGa, Fl., Alabama, Miss, La, etc, UGA.

Edit:

O yea, Winston has more art and more outdoor recreation than Athens. Winston is a bigger city. Sports is a wash...SEC football is the shit...but UGa kind of sucks....and I like ACC basketball. WFU football is alright.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:25 pm

women'ssoccer wrote:Athens really isn't all that great...it's kind of trashy (the poor man's chapel hill, imho). I mean, if I wanted to rush a frat during 1L it might be tight.

Edit:

O yea, Winston has more art and more outdoor recreation than Athens. Winston is a bigger city. Sports is a wash...SEC football is the shit...but UGa kind of sucks....and I like ACC basketball. WFU football is alright.

+1. I can't stand that in the UGA/Wake debate people always bring up Georgia's better placement. Wake has more reach, and has higher nlj250. That means they have better reach and better big/medium law prospects.

That being said, athens sounds awesome and is super cheap.

women'ssoccer

Postby women'ssoccer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:36 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
women'ssoccer wrote:Athens really isn't all that great...it's kind of trashy (the poor man's chapel hill, imho). I mean, if I wanted to rush a frat during 1L it might be tight.

Edit:

+1. I can't stand that in the UGA/Wake debate people always bring up Georgia's better placement. Wake has more reach, and has higher nlj250. That means they have better reach and better big/medium law prospects.

That being said, athens sounds awesome and is super cheap.

I'll return the +1

'Georgia's placement' really means Georgia's access to ATL market (which is (or was) great, if that's what you want). I mean, nobody would say Wake over UGa for Georgia. But pretty much any other local (outside of the deep-south) is WFU>>Uga. WFU has the rep. and great reach *relative to rank.

Also, Winston is cheaper than Athens if you want it to be. BUT, Winston can also be classy-er if you want it to be. Search out some of the downtown lofts in Winston---those things get nice and have great views..

WFU has a reputation as a rich-kid school, not that UGa doesn't have a measure of that, and not that that is always a good thing...but Wake's endowmnet is Huge 888,000,000 (double UGa's, and WFU only has 6,500 students TOTAL).

In short, WFU>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UGa, unless you want to work in Ga. or some other deep Southern state, (all of which are not as nice as NC/Va., etc)

married0L

Postby married0L » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:44 am

Ok, I'll play.

I will disclose that I have lived in Athens the past two years, however, I am not a UGA alum and that I have a decent understanding of Winston as a very good friend is from there and a couple my wife and I are close to lived there for two years before coming to Athens.

From everything I have heard, Athens is a MUCH better city than Winston. Athens is an artsy/granola, mountain town with a FANTASTIC music scene, great bar scene (even for us older folks that don't want to be around college freshman drunk off their ass), great downtown area, and solid established neighborhoods. Athens is an hour from Atlanta (tops) if you are into that sort of thing, you are 30 minutes from the mountain and great hiking/camping/fishing, Greenville, SC is an hour and half north, and the beach is four to five hours away. There is a strong young professional class in Athens growing and a number of solid local firms. A plethora of good golf courses, good weather and the city if very cheap.

I applied and was accepted at both UGA and Wake with money and so I am weighing the two as well. UGA has great ties into Atlanta and is a strong regional school apart from that market as well. Wake is obviously stronger in NC (and western NC specifically), but to say Wake is going to give more reach into other southern markets is hyperbole at best. They are peer institutions that feed into "different" markets where one will probably be working hard on their own to secure a job out of LS. Both have loyal alumni bases and are perceived to be strong law schools.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:35 am

Here is my problem with this .. and I'm not being antagonistic I'd really like someone to address these questions/points because I'm having a hard time deciding between these schools, but to me UGA looks like a clear front-runner.
women'ssoccer wrote:'Georgia's placement' really means Georgia's access to ATL market (which is (or was) great, if that's what you want). I mean, nobody would say Wake over UGa for Georgia. But pretty much any other local (outside of the deep-south) is WFU>>Uga. WFU has the rep. and great reach *relative to rank.

Wake = UGA outside of their respective markets; for Wake this is NC, for UGA this is GA. And within those markets neither are really the top dog; in NC Wake has UNC and Duke - and in GA UGA has Emory. Now people on this board will argue "Top 20 = national placement" so let's remove Duke and Emory. That leaves Wake competing with UNC and UGA as the best school in it's primary market. Even if you only account for T14 as being national, that leaves the schools as equals. And don't forget that Vandy calculates in there too somewhere as a school that owns the southern markets.

I think people (like myself) who may be interested in "big law" right out of school would prefer 'UGA's placement' because while Wake as an UG institution is perceived to be more elite than UGA (read: private, small, etc.) it does not have a large legal market that it feeds into. When I started I really liked Wake thinking about how much I love Charlotte and that it would be a primary market for Wake grads. BUT, Charlotte much like it's big brother of financial meccas (NYC) took a huge hit with the economy and I think a large portion of their legal community was tied to that, making the streets of Charlotte a lot meaner for new grads. So in terms of opportunities for employment (because I'm seriously concerned that when we graduate it's not going to be WHERE but IF you can get a job) ATL>Charlotte/Research Triangle.

The NLJ250 stats that have recently been posted on this board are for 2009 grads, meaning students who were securing employment in 2008 when the economy (and financial sector) were nowhere near as crappy as they are now; which addresses Wake's 4% better placement into NLJ250 firms than UGA. UGA places better into federal clerkships if that's what you're into. Both of those placement stats only serve to show you how comparable the two schools are as they're nearly the same on both counts, Wake slightly better in NLJ250 and UGA slightly better in clerkships (in 2009).

women'ssoccer wrote:In short, WFU>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UGa, unless you want to work in Ga. or some other deep Southern state, (all of which are not as nice as NC/Va., etc)

RE: Wake does better in all of the classier "not so deep south" ... Where exactly are you talking about? Virginia?! NC's neighbor to the north has 7 (Yes, SEVEN) of its own Top 50 law schools feeding into it, not to mention it's biggest city is one of the toughest legal markets in the country with all of the T14/20/30/50 competing for jobs. I'd rather take my chances in ATL where competition although stiff involves fewer higher ranked opponents, and in ATL UGA>Wake.

women'ssoccer

Postby women'ssoccer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Yea. If you want ATL, its a painfully easy choice.

MissV: WFU for NC and anything north of NC. (and maybe SC, tenn., etc). (didn;t mean to imply that there were other "classier" southern states that WFu was better in---Although---NC is a classier S. state that Wfu does better in. You're 100% right about Va.)

Wake and UNC are peer schools. UNC has more alum--that's about it. '09 NJL250 and Clerkship stats have WFU dominating UNC.

So yes, WFU competes with UNC and to a lesser extent Duke (they leave NC). I don't think T14ers are flooding to Charlotte, Winston, Greensboro.

UGa competes with Emory, UVa, Vandy,Duke (and the UNC's WFU's of the world...WFU does have a decent alum base in ATL).

I think that NC has better Secondary Markets than Ga as a whole.

WFU without question has a better reputation and academics.

WFU as an institution has an endowment TWICE that of UGa's and has about 1/4 or 1/5 the students.

To me, unless you want to work in ATL, Ga, Alabama, Fl. (and cost are close), WFU is an easy choice.

Athens and ATL are the big draws for UGa it seems. And, athens was just a cheap version of a Ashville/Chapel Hill-type community, imho. UGa's campus is unimpressive. (WFU is really small--and has $$$ to keep up grounds.).
I mean, at UGA there are 2 holiday inns and what appeared to be government housing a stones throw from the main campus (where the UGa LS is). *WFU is surrounded by some cheap shit, but WFU's campus is totally self-contained and gated...you cannot enter it after 10pm without talking to a cop/having a pass (not sure if its a real cop or not). But, like Athens , Winston has some very prestigious nieghborhoods. I'd say Winston's are nicer.

WFU law school building is doubling in size (keeping the 2nd smallest class size in the T50).

WFU>>>>>>>UGa. Very easy to me, unless ATL/deep south/Fl. is your thing and cost are similar.

Winston might not be for everyone, but it is a lot less claustrophobic than Athens. And I think that in its best parts is much classier as well.
Last edited by women'ssoccer on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:18 pm

missvik218 wrote:Here is my problem with this .. and I'm not being antagonistic I'd really like someone to address these questions/points because I'm having a hard time deciding between these schools, but to me UGA looks like a clear front-runner.
women'ssoccer wrote:'Georgia's placement' really means Georgia's access to ATL market (which is (or was) great, if that's what you want). I mean, nobody would say Wake over UGa for Georgia. But pretty much any other local (outside of the deep-south) is WFU>>Uga. WFU has the rep. and great reach *relative to rank.

Wake = UGA outside of their respective markets; for Wake this is NC, for UGA this is GA. And within those markets neither are really the top dog; in NC Wake has UNC and Duke - and in GA UGA has Emory. Now people on this board will argue "Top 20 = national placement" so let's remove Duke and Emory. That leaves Wake competing with UNC and UGA as the best school in it's primary market. Even if you only account for T14 as being national, that leaves the schools as equals. And don't forget that Vandy calculates in there too somewhere as a school that owns the southern markets.

I think people (like myself) who may be interested in "big law" right out of school would prefer 'UGA's placement' because while Wake as an UG institution is perceived to be more elite than UGA (read: private, small, etc.) it does not have a large legal market that it feeds into. When I started I really liked Wake thinking about how much I love Charlotte and that it would be a primary market for Wake grads. BUT, Charlotte much like it's big brother of financial meccas (NYC) took a huge hit with the economy and I think a large portion of their legal community was tied to that, making the streets of Charlotte a lot meaner for new grads. So in terms of opportunities for employment (because I'm seriously concerned that when we graduate it's not going to be WHERE but IF you can get a job) ATL>Charlotte/Research Triangle.

The NLJ250 stats that have recently been posted on this board are for 2009 grads, meaning students who were securing employment in 2008 when the economy (and financial sector) were nowhere near as crappy as they are now; which addresses Wake's 4% better placement into NLJ250 firms than UGA. UGA places better into federal clerkships if that's what you're into. Both of those placement stats only serve to show you how comparable the two schools are as they're nearly the same on both counts, Wake slightly better in NLJ250 and UGA slightly better in clerkships (in 2009).

women'ssoccer wrote:In short, WFU>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UGa, unless you want to work in Ga. or some other deep Southern state, (all of which are not as nice as NC/Va., etc)

RE: Wake does better in all of the classier "not so deep south" ... Where exactly are you talking about? Virginia?! NC's neighbor to the north has 7 (Yes, SEVEN) of its own Top 50 law schools feeding into it, not to mention it's biggest city is one of the toughest legal markets in the country with all of the T14/20/30/50 competing for jobs. I'd rather take my chances in ATL where competition although stiff involves fewer higher ranked opponents, and in ATL UGA>Wake.

First, Wake's small classes = better, especially ITE. With more than half of Wake's class leaving the state I think they would be in some demand in state, with only about 75 graduates staying in NC.

Second, Wake places into Atlanta some while UGA barely places into NC (and then mostly just with ties to the area from what I understand). Do you really think a UGA degree will place into NC as well as a Wake degree will place into GA? I'm not sure but I really don't think so.

Also, Emory is to UGA what UNC is to Wake, sorta in terms of their relationships (probably slightly superior but generally equal). Duke is a non-factor. Both states have two dominant schools and UGA and Wake are among those. With half of Emory and Wake and even UNC leaving that leaves UGA as the most regional of the four. In NC you have half of UNC and Wake, in GA you have most of UGA and some Emory plus Vandy and other T14s coming in to compete in Atlanta (I doubt many T14 students are looking to come to Charlotte or Raleigh). However, Atlanta has more jobs so perhaps its a little more even than it initially seems.

I think with Atlanta nearby biglaw seems more feasible out of UGA, but for a job in general and the chance at a well-paying non-biglaw job Wake is the better choice. Although their awful OCI facilities kind of strike me as making OCI a little more difficult than it needs to be (but I don't know I'm an 0L). And yes Charlotte isn't in the best shape but there are more secondary markets in NC and Charlotte won't be down forever (believe it or not Charlotte is not ALL financial markets).

Athens does destroy Winston though in terms of places to be. No denying that.

In the end they're close enough that its all about location, NC or a shot at Atlanta. I haven't made my decision yet either so take that as you will.

EDIT: I actually even initially voted for UGA in this poll when it first came out, I just realized. Weird.
Last edited by tarheel87 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”