Wake (w/scholarship) or UGA??? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wake or UGA?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Wake
61%
UGA
39%

Total votes: 18

TarheelHopeful

New

Wake (w/scholarship) or UGA???

Post by TarheelHopeful » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi everyone! I am still waiting on Carolina (likely will be rejected), but otherwise I will be choosing between Wake and UGA. I have an 18,000 a year scholarship at Wake and I'll be paying out of state tution at UGA for the first year at least - then probably in state for the 2nd and 3rd years. (Makes a trivial tution difference between the two) I don't really care where I practice as long as it is near the coast! Also, kind of interested in Environmental Law, but not 100% on that. Thanks for the advice!

married0L

New

Re: Wake (w/scholarship) or UGA???

Post by married0L » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:31 am

Go visit both and see which one you feel more comfortable at.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:42 am

I think Wake Forest opens up more doors "near the coast."

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:08 am

I envy your position. I will also be chosing between wake and georgia. Only thing is, I haven't gotten scholly info for wake yet (just got in this friday).

For me, I would choose wake because I know I want to practice on the east coast. I think the schools are pretty similiar in terms of prestege and level of education you will get, so it really comes down to where you want to work afterwards.

In terms of the 3 year experience of law school, you definitly need to go to decide which one you will like more.

But I think the real question is, where do you want to work? If you want to work on the east coast, I'd go with wake, if the south, Georgia.

GL and grats on scholly. If you don't mind me asking, Stats? Can you PM me if you dont' want to share?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:06 am

I echo the posts above, but UGA definitely has the edge on quality of life. The football, Athens, and the women are top notch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:18 am

Agreed with rad, if you're concerned with quality of life, you surely will choose UGA. Athens cannot be beat.

But if you're thinking East Coast (and by East Coast I mean DC to Boston), you'll be better served at Wake.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:30 am

Winston-Salem kind of sucks as a college town, IMO. It's a pretty nice place to raise a family, but there's nothing to do in the Triad, if that matters to you at all. hth

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:38 am

jeeptiger09 wrote: But if you're thinking East Coast (and by East Coast I mean DC to Boston), you'll be better served at Wake.
Marginally better served, but you're fighting an uphill battle if you want to take Wake to DC (have to compete with UVA, Georgetown, G Dub, W&M, W&L), and in Boston you have to compete with the likes of BC and BU in a far-flung region. I would not try to take Wake outside the South, personally.

marshalltucker

New

Post by marshalltucker » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:44 pm

I was under the impression UGA placed better but I'd love to hear some more comparisons.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:54 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Winston-Salem kind of sucks as a college town, IMO. It's a pretty nice place to raise a family, but there's nothing to do in the Triad, if that matters to you at all. hth
Get involved in the tobacco business after your 1L year perhaps?

married0L

New

Post by married0L » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:34 am

Marshalltucker,

I was under the same impression. It would take a lot to convince me otherwise as UGA has strong ties to Atlanta, a great reputation especially as a state school, has great clerkship opportunities and pretty good reach across the South. All of this for a fantastic instate price.

I like Wake but it is second fiddle in NC that has no real legal market to speak of (outside of Charlotte which was decimated ITE). I would appreciate any insight into the portability or placement abilities of Wake.

The Zeppelin

Bronze

Post by The Zeppelin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:44 am

UGA. They'll most likely give you the tuition equalization scholly (depending on stats) for at least one semester. I'm sure Wake's scholly has a class rank requirement too.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:59 am

The Zeppelin wrote:UGA. They'll most likely give you the tuition equalization scholly (depending on stats) for at least one semester. I'm sure Wake's scholly has a class rank requirement too.
It's probably top 2/3 that seems to be their status quo with scholarships.

I have this EXACT same issue right now barring some serious reach acceptances or real money from some other schools. I'm interested to see what people think about this, personally, I'm leaning towards UGA but am having a really hard time with it due to some familial connections in NC (and to Wake as a school) as well as a desire to be in Charlotte after graduation. The main concern with that being, are there even any jobs in Charlotte?!

I also REALLY want to enjoy myself as much as possible during law school - I'm trying to weigh the QOL in Athens vs. being an hour from my family.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Zeppelin

Bronze

Post by The Zeppelin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:05 pm

missvik218 wrote:
The Zeppelin wrote:UGA. They'll most likely give you the tuition equalization scholly (depending on stats) for at least one semester. I'm sure Wake's scholly has a class rank requirement too.

I have this EXACT same issue right now barring some serious reach acceptances or real money from some other schools. I'm interested to see what people think about this, personally, I'm leaning towards UGA but am having a really hard time with it due to some familial connections in NC (and to Wake as a school) as well as a desire to be in Charlotte after graduation. The main concern with that being, are there even any jobs in Charlotte?!

I also REALLY want to enjoy myself as much as possible during law school - I'm trying to weigh the QOL in Athens vs. being an hour from my family.
I'm from NC and I've just never really liked Winston-Salem. The school itself is great, but the city is rather blah. The best thing you can do is visit both schools and go from there.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:38 pm

missvik218 wrote:

Athens is the best college town in the nation IMO, don't really see QOL in Winston-Salem being better than QOL at UGA.

married0L

New

Post by married0L » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:49 pm

I am considering both schools as well and currently live in Athens (been here two years). It is a fantastic town and one I would love to be in another 3 (if not longer). It is a college town but with a surprising number of young professionals and is relatively easy to get away from students.

QOL is fantastic here.

Plus instate tuition (plus scholly) will make it tough to turn down.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:00 pm

UGA women are gorgeous

If you're single, that's /thread

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:09 pm

biv0ns wrote:UGA women are gorgeous

If you're single, that's /thread
--LinkRemoved--

For some reason I can't directly link the image, but it pretty much sums up how much I love UGA.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:53 pm

lol the image doesn't work when you click on it either

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:03 pm

biv0ns wrote:lol the image doesn't work when you click on it either
It works for me. Damnit sometimes I hate the internet.

marshalltucker

New

Post by marshalltucker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:04 pm

married0L wrote:Marshalltucker,

I was under the same impression. It would take a lot to convince me otherwise as UGA has strong ties to Atlanta, a great reputation especially as a state school, has great clerkship opportunities and pretty good reach across the South. All of this for a fantastic instate price.

I like Wake but it is second fiddle in NC that has no real legal market to speak of (outside of Charlotte which was decimated ITE). I would appreciate any insight into the portability or placement abilities of Wake.
Yeah but wouldn't Wake's sort of private-school-rep even things out somewhat and give it more reach? I know their admissions people claim to place in Atlanta pretty well, while UGA doesn't place much in NC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

married0L

New

Post by married0L » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 pm

I just don't know if beyond the t14 or t20 there is a huge private vs. public rep difference. But I am pretty clueless, it just seems pretty childish.

The one thing I can take to the bank from law students and lawyers is that it is very much to your advantage to go to school near where you want to practice. For that reason it would seem to be more of a location decision if there is enough money from Wake to even out the cost with UGA.

Thoughts?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 pm

marshalltucker wrote: Yeah but wouldn't Wake's sort of private-school-rep even things out somewhat and give it more reach?
Probably not. A good law school is a good law school. UGA is ranked (marginally) higher, but both are fairly regional. I think it comes down to where OP wants to practice because money isn't an issue, and since OP is not sure, it's really a toss up at this point.

Margo1020

New

Post by Margo1020 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:38 pm

I'm a 1L at Wake and it's been a great experience so far. The professors are very nice and they actually care about the students. If you haven't visited yet, definitely make some time to come check it out and see for yourself.

Since someone mentioned Charlotte, I looked at the job list and several Charlotte firms are recruiting 1Ls this year. Also, a few of my classmates have already lined up summer positions in DC (unpaid so far I think).

I hope you are able to visit!

married0L

New

Post by married0L » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:09 pm

How would you guys weight this:

$60,000 at Wake
$72,000 at W&L
$15,000 (instate) at UGA

I think the wife and I want to be around Atlanta after law school. What are yall's thoughts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”